• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

All things Cycling

Meh, in most cases a $500 bike will buy you $500 worth of bike, regardless of the brand. Common brands you might look at are Giant, Merida, Avanti, Specialized, Scott, Trek, Kona, Norco, Garry Fisher, GT and others than slip my mind right now. All of those brands will have something entry level around $500. Make sure you go to a bike shop to buy it too, not a department store or anything like that. Also make sure you get a test ride to make sure it's the correct size for you.

While you can get a better deal second hand or if you build it up yourself for a newbie to bikes you are likely to miss something and it will end of not being worth it as it may not run well or you could get ripped off.

Again make sure you test ride it. If you are riding on loose gravel then a mountain bike is probably a good way to go. For your height you might find the 26" wheels better than the 29" which has become more and more common for mountain bikes.

If you have a limited budget then make sure you factor in other gear you will need. Helmet is a must as well as simple gear to change a flat tyre. Also consider if you will be riding at night etc. for lights and other equipment. Don't be afraid to ask the bike shop for a deal if you buy the bike and a few other items from them as a package.

Bikes and gear can get expensive but if you are using it regularly then it is worth it.

Last edited:
So i have not had the opportunity to test ride any bikes the past few days. I have been in sydney.

There arnt any Giant dealers near my place. I might drive out tomorrow depending how i feel.

I have no experience with bikes so wont be buying second hand. Not unless there is a RACQ of mountain bikes. :p

Hey

I test rode a giant roam 2. Pretty good ride and meets my price. I rode for about 300m. Jeez. It was some hard work!!!

I picked up a bit of speed but was sorta scared lol. I don't have much confidence as yet. I

I need to do a bit of research to see if its a good buy and will test a few more different brands you mentioned.

The sales guy was saying the 29er won't be efficient for my needs. I fear he is right because i won't be taking it off road what so ever.

As you can tell by my username I like my 29ers, most sales guys are morons, they can smell noob a mile away, as for a 29er not suiting your needs, pretty well all road bikes are 29ers(700c) with there larger diameter are far better for flat road riding, the only time I thought smaller wheels would be better was on real steep uphills with tight turns, besides that 29er all the way, I think a flat bar road bike would be perfect as you dont need suspension or disk brakes(which on both you really need to spend at least 1k to be getting anything worth your money,) any bike from this link would be more than suitable Hybrid bikes for beginners, commuters, exercise, and recreation. | 99 Bikes just get the right size for you

Thanks for the assistance Mr 29er!
Tell us about your bike :)
How did you guess 99bikes were next on my list :p

I'm thinking of getting a mountain bike to complement my hybrid (used for occasional commuting, riding around bike trails), I'd like something with fatter tyres and a bit more front suspension travel that i can be comfortable with it's solidity for my weight off road...

Its been a while since i brought a mountain bike, they seem kind of pricey... i want disc brakes and good front shocks and 29" wheels... how much do i realistically need to spend?

Hi all,

Just joined this site so thought I'd try and introduce myself in this thread as well seeing as I'm a rider too :)

Here are 2 of my main bikes. I have around 4 but mainly ride these 2 for fun.

My Pinarello road bike
404342_10150680041518982_459172357_n.jpg

And my Santa Cruz V10 Downhill bike! Missing a chainguide at the time I took that photo, and that horrible saddle is gone too

dscn1381vt2.jpg

Cheers,
Theo