• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Am i over training?

Shank

Hey all

Just wanted to post this question up as i generally feel tired regardless of having an adequate amount of calories, however lately my sleep has been broken or limited to 7 hours at most, some days slightly more.

Training Schedule is

Monday - Back / Bi's
Tuesday - Concept 2 HIIT 15 - 25 minutes / Walk dog for 40 minutes
Wednesday - Chest, Shoulders, Tri's
Thursday - Steady pace Rower 30 minutes ( thinking of dropping this) / Walk dog for 40 minutes
Friday - Legs / Walk dog for 40 minutes
Saturday - Steady pace rower upto 60 minutes / abs /Walk dog for 40 minutes
Sunday - Rest / Walk dog for 40 minutes / play in the park with dog

Just had a DEXA done, 70kgs @ 16.7% BF, RMR is 1791, i am currently looking between 2600 - 2800 to bulk. They recommended 2200 - 2500, this seemed kind of low to me and i will probably still be hungry with this. Also recommended i burn approx 1800 calories per week through exercise, the above schedule from my guess is only around 1600 and i am already buggered.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks

Believe me, i have tried!

As of late, i have had some problems sleeping but, at most all i can get due to work and other commitments would be a max of 7 1/2 hours, and some times that is broken

food and sleep are critical. if you can't fix your sleep then look at what you're eating: where are your calories coming from? what are your macros like?

in that case there really isn't much you can do except when ever possible - rest / relax.

to me your training schedule doesn't seem excessive. You could always try the sleep supplements (ZMA, etc) or a big glass of warm milk with honey or milo before bed!

Generally allocate 250g to carbs, 170 or so to protein and fat 120g

Split is generally something like 25/35/40

These are approximate numbers as i don't go by a set macro every day, but generally shoot for these numbers.

Today these calories are coming from

Breakfast ; Cappucino, 2 slices of grainy whole meal toast and 2 tbsp PB, banana and an apple

Lunch; Pasta

Snack during work; 250ml milk with 2 tsp milo

Post WO; 2 scoops wpc, 2 tsp fish oil in OJ

Dinner; Mince and lamb chop with some veggies, cooked in 1 tbsp olive oil

I keep a food diary in an excel sheet every day, and log P/C/F and calories

Sugar / carbs effect me big time before bed! i would never sleep then haha.

I have tried ZMA, Gaba, valerian, i still feel kind of drowsy the next day so i found it worse.

Drop the aerobic work (tues and sat) for a while then re-asses.

It has taken me a while to get my cardio to where it is, i really don't want to lose that, and i am only doing the the extra days as it was recommended to burn 1800 per week, i guess i could drop the HIIT on the Tuesday, but would feel like i am getting fat if i am not doing any cardio at all

try changing the carbs to higher gi and up the cal intake a bit more ?

From a dexa in aug ( 110kg @183cm rmr 2227) I was recommended to cut on 2300 with 201g/201g/77g (protein/carbs/fat) cutting on around 1500 to 1800 most days.

try swapping the toast for proats (oats in protien shake) ?
add an extra protein shake or two - morning tea/afternoon tea
more green veggies and don't count them in the intake (as some people keep hassling me on)

try swapping the toast for proats (oats in protien shake) ?
add an extra protein shake or two - morning tea/afternoon tea
more green veggies and don't count them in the intake (as some people keep hassling me on)

The oats and protein will require a blender right? Or would oatmass be the same thing ?

Only problem i can foresee with changing to the morning shake is, i would most likely be hungry, i currently snack on peanuts if i am peckish, but i don't want to go to the extent of eating way over in calories and putting on fat after spending a decent amount of time cutting

You eatting enough for all that aerobic activity + daily routine

If I was you I would also drop one or two cardio sessions a week.

Which ones, HIIT on tuesday or the longer steady pace cardio on saturday, mind you on saturdays i will probably be ok as i can sleep in providing nothing wakes me up during the night.

If it does i just sleep till later.

It has taken me a while to get my cardio to where it is, i really don't want to lose that, and i am only doing the the extra days as it was recommended to burn 1800 per week, i guess i could drop the HIIT on the Tuesday, but would feel like i am getting fat if i am not doing any cardio at all

Using cardio as a means to control weight is specious at best shank.
Whether you do weights or cardio the body's ability to recover both comes from the same source.

If you weight training is suffering in that your progression is not happening or a the least very minimal, then you will need to cull something.

Eating extra food in this case is not the answer.

Cardio is the culprit, I look at this from the point of view of the Germans moving closer to Russia, the closer they got to their goal the more they relied on supply and reinforcements.

In your case, you are not allowing your body enough recovery between activity.

Ok, so i think i will cut all cardio, and only have it on the weekends, does that sound ok?

But i will not be able to just stop walking my dog on the days required, would that affect as well?

By cutting 2 days of cardio should i also reduce my daily caloric intake slightly ?

Ok, so i think i will cut all cardio, and only have it on the weekends, does that sound ok?

But i will not be able to just stop walking my dog on the days required, would that affect as well?

Great idea, try it for a month, see how you feel, report back.
Someone here might learn from your experience
Keep walking the dog.

Pump those weight though, like your life depends on it, because it does.

Great idea, try it for a month, see how you feel, report back.
Someone here might learn from your experience
Keep walking the dog.

Pump those weight though, like your life depends on it, because it does.

Will do, won't ever stop pumping the weights haha, what should i do diet wise, keep it as is and don't reduce / change what and how i am eating or modify (reduce intake slightly due to the lower activity?)