• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Any Suggestions?] Full-Body 6-7 day a week workout

Barry_

Good Evening

I'm a basketball-player looking for a better Full-Body 6-7 day a week workout then the one I'm currently doing 7 days a week.

Here is my current routine (minus this week, where I'm doing cardio);

Floor-work;

• 70 Push-ups
  • 100 Sit-ups
  • 100 seconds of lying vertical up-to waist (chest exercise)
Weights;
22.5KG Barbell

• 13 repetitions of Plyometric Barbell Curls
  • 13 repetitions of reverse-grip Barbell Curls
  • 13 repetitions of Upright Rows
  • 13 repetitions of Rear-Delt Rows
  • 13 repetitions of reverse-grip Upright Rows
  • 13 repetitions of reverse-grip Rear-Delt Rows
  • 13 repetitions of Military Presses
  • 13 repetitions of [hold for 3 seconds] Shrugs
12.5KG Dumbbells

What should I do instead of the above, or is the above what I should be doing?

I'd like to maintain some strength, sans losing my strength.

I've been recommended full-body workout rather than the above (which is mainly biceps, correct me if I'm wrong)

So please suggest a full-body workout for me.

Thank you,

Barry_

BTW: I'm about 6''2: 80-85kg

Last edited:
Do you need to be working out 7 days a week?
You could do the 5 core compound exercises below for 3 days a week, and do some interval cardio every other day

Squats
Bench press
Military press
Bent rows
Deadlifts

I was going to link you to a bball thread but thats the one you started lol

Why do you keep asking the same questions? This was answered for you months ago but you obviously didnt listen. Take notice or go away and stop wasting everybodys time.

Good Evening

I'm a basketball-player looking for a better Full-Body 6-7 day a week workout then the one I'm currently doing 7 days a week.

Here is my current routine (minus this week, where I'm doing cardio);

Floor-work;

• 70 Push-ups
  • 100 Sit-ups
  • 100 seconds of lying vertical up-to waist (chest exercise)
Weights;
22.5KG Barbell

• 13 repetitions of Plyometric Barbell Curls
  • 13 repetitions of reverse-grip Barbell Curls
  • 13 repetitions of Upright Rows
  • 13 repetitions of Rear-Delt Rows
  • 13 repetitions of reverse-grip Upright Rows
  • 13 repetitions of reverse-grip Rear-Delt Rows
  • 13 repetitions of Military Presses
  • 13 repetitions of [hold for 3 seconds] Shrugs
12.5KG Dumbbells

What should I do instead of the above, or is the above what I should be doing?​

I'd like to maintain some strength, sans losing my strength.​

I've been recommended full-body workout rather than the above (which is mainly biceps, correct me if I'm wrong)​

So please suggest a full-body workout for me.​

Thank you,​

Barry_​

BTW: I'm about 6''2: 80-85kg​

Forgive me Barry, my eyes are not what they used to be; is there any leg work at all in the above, if so where? If you're a boxer, you need leg work; if you're a runner, you still need leg work. Force is generated from your feet through your legs, up to your hips and from there into your upper body. Explosive type of leg work is needed to maintain and increase speed. Explosive medicine ball throws are paramount! All sorts of throws and not just your usual ones so as to cover your whole core and stabiliser muscles.

Why are you doing bicep work when your sport is basketball and not wrestling or judo? We need to throw the ball, not pull it towards us. Biceps will get sufficient indirect work whilst working the back.

Work on adding some bodyweight to your frame. At 6”2, you aught to be no less the 100kg flying down the court and leaping into a magic dunk!

Fadi.

Last edited:
Squats
Bench press
Military press
Bent rows
Deadlifts

^How many reps should I aim for?

How many times a day?

Should I do weighted-squats?

How important is the bench-press | is it possible to work the same muscle group in the same way without using a bench?

Forgive me Barry, my eyes are not what they used to be; is there any leg work at all in the above, if so where? If you're a boxer, you need leg work; if you're a runner, you still need leg work. Force is generated from your feet through your legs, up to your hips and from there into your upper body. Explosive type of leg work is needed to maintain and increase speed. Explosive medicine ball throws are paramount! All sorts of throws and not just your usual ones so as to cover your whole core and stabiliser muscles.

Why are you doing bicep work when your sport is basketball and not wrestling or judo? We need to throw the ball, not pull it towards us. Biceps will get sufficient indirect work whilst working the back.

Work on adding some bodyweight to your frame. At 6”2, you aught to be no less the 100kg flying down the court and leaping into a magic dunk!

Fadi.

100 kilograms sounds a little big?

But if you say so.

So could you recommend me an entire routine?

Thank you,

Barry_

BTW: I only have free-weights, no bench, no pull-up bar or medicine ball
(however will be moving house soon, so may come back from a revamp of my routine within the upcoming month)

Last edited:
^How many reps should I aim for?
1x20 for squats and 3x8 everything else, its all about the effort you put in, not the rep range

How many times a day?
1 session 3x a week, you can do interval cardio every other day

Should I do weighted-squats?
yes for sure, start off with just an olympic barbell and once you are happy with your form, start adding weight

How important is the bench-press | is it possible to work the same muscle group in the same way without using a bench?
Very, i doubt it, just do it!

gary has summed it up perfect. 3 days a week max!!! try to limit those sessions to as short as you can do your workout with good form. working out for hours and hours and hours serves no useful purpous. If you continue the workout above you wont have any arms left!! very counter productive.

FOOOD!!!!!!

make sure you are shovelling lots of GOOD food into you. chicken, fish, fruit, veg, nuts, seeds. and get good sleep!!!

Why do you keep asking the same questions? This was answered for you months ago but you obviously didnt listen. Take notice or go away and stop wasting everybodys time

Bit rough mate!!

Very, i doubt it, just do it!

Today and yesterday I did the bench-presses on the ground (carpet), and got to 30 repetitions (2 sets, 10 secs apart)

I'm thinking that 30 reps might be a little high?

Or is it that without a bench I'm not achieving the complete rotation, thus won't be able to do 30 reps normally?

Back to my initial query, does my ability to complete 30 reps signify that I need to add more weight? :confused:

gary has summed it up perfect. 3 days a week max!!! try to limit those sessions to as short as you can do your workout with good form. working out for hours and hours and hours serves no useful purpose. If you continue the workout above you wont have any arms left!! very counter productive.

So speed is important? I did notice when I first started situps (300 & for starters, I was doing them wrong), it took 10-15 minutes to complete.

Now that I'm doing only 100, with my feet right up against me, under the barbell (which cramps BTW), I complete within 3 minutes, and it's much more difficult.

FOOOD!!!!!!

make sure you are shovelling lots of GOOD food into you. chicken, fish, fruit, veg, nuts, seeds. and get good sleep!!!

I'm the kind of guy you wouldn't need to ask twice to eat :p

I'll just wait till I'm completely fit first though... (give it a week)

Cheers,

Barry_

Barry, read all 100 of PTC's newsletters on his site.

Have a good read of the rest of the forum.

You'll be set for life.

My latest routine, which I've been completing for the last month or so is as follows;

Floorwork

• 70x Pushups
  • 100x Situps
Barbell (22.5kg)

• 13x Millitary Press
  • 13x Behind-Back Shrugs (each held for 3 seconds)
  • 10x Weighted Pistol-Squats
Dumbbell (12.5kg)

• 13x Shoulder Presses
  • 13x Shrugs (each held for 3 seconds)
Bar

• 10x Pull-Ups (& increasing ASAP)
  • 10x Chin-Ups (& increasing ASAP)
I do all these exercises on 1 day (1 session completed every 2nd day), alternating days I still do Pushups, but nothing else.

I've also been increasing the frequency in which I play basketball.

What are your thoughts on my current routine? - Does anything need to be changed/removed/added?

Thank you,

Barry_

how has it been going so far? have you seen improvements? are you achieving your goal?

Well I've been losing weight, so it's hard to say how great this routine has been. I could probably say starting tomorrow, that I've 'toned down' sufficiently.

I am planning from, say, the start of next week, to buy a stand for the barbell. Thus with a standalone bench, I will be able to do bench-press.

Then within about 1-2 months, I'll purchase more weight to add onto both my dumbbells & barbells (making them even in the process, so the barbell is exactly twice the weight of a dumbbell)

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Thank you,

Barry_

'Offline' I have been provided with advice from haz.

Here is a [partially] concatenated view of our conversation;

haz said:
Barry_ said:

okay, so i'm assuming that is to improve your basketball?

it seems like you have good endurance, but now it is time for strength.

workout 1
1.2x20 alligator push-ups (move one hand 5cm left/right/up/down after each rep)
2a. 3x8 military press
2b. 3x8 pull ups
3. rear foot elevated split squat with dbs, 3x10
4a. reverse crunch
4b.swiss ball leg curl

workout 2
1a. deadlift 3x5
1b. jump rope 3x 1min
2a. bench 4x4
2b. db rows 4x8
3. plank 3x 1min
4. some random bounding for 10m x 5 sets

you can alternate the days. use progressive resistance.

Barry_ said:
Yes, mainly to improve my basketball.

So I should do each workout alternating days?

When should I start increasing the weight on my barbell & dumbbells?

I noticed you took out PullUps, is there a reason why?

What do you mean by 'random bounding'?

Is this what you meant by rear foot elevated split squat with dbs? [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CvEs-TOIKM[/YOUTUBE](YouTube - Bulgarian Split Squat)

Thanks for your detailed reply, please keep them coming!

Barry_

haz said:
So I should do each workout alternating days?
yes

When should I start increasing the weight on my barbell & dumbbells? when you can do all reps with good form. it is important to add weigh but not at the expense of form. for the big exercises like deads and bench look to add weight each time you do them.

I noticed you took out PullUps, is there a reason why? i put pullups in the first workout. if you want you can add chins to the other workout.

What do you mean by 'random bounding'? just like running but try and increase your stride length, similar to the tripple jump. plyo style. just to get you jumping lol. you can bound at the start of every session if you enjoy it.

Is this what you meant by rear foot elevated split squat with dbs? yep.

haz said:
in 4 weeks msg me and ill write you another program just slighlty tweaking things to keep you improving. good luck.

Please include any thoughts you have on this.

Thank you,

Barry_

BTW: I will be proceeding with the suggested routine starting the day I get my barbell stand, which will hopefully be tomorrow....