• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

anyone actually done GOMAD? What was your experience with it?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
GOMAD is a bulking method where you aim to drink one Gallon Of Milk A Day.
I'm curious if anyone has done it on here and what their experience was.

I have.

I gained weight.

Got up to 113kg. Not all due to gallon of milk. I was eating anything I could get my hands on.

I don't think some people that do this actually understand why they are doing it. It is basically if you can't physically eat food and need another option to get calories in. Numerous people then also end up shitting out most of the milk so seems to counter their goal anyway

I never got the shits but I grew up on a dairy farm so was used to drinking lots of milk already.

i was drinking around 2litres of milk a night at work , not because of GOMAD , but because the milk was free and was trying to cut back on coffee
a few people at work said drinking that much i would get liquid bogs , but never happened to me

I am slightly lactose intolerant so anything over 1L a day and I'll start assploding. But IL a day is fine and I mix it with WPI.

Didn't turned out too well for me became lactose intolerant which I was never was to begin with, would always feel bloated and gassy as times from my experience.

I've not done 4lt, but have done 2lt three times over the years. Each time I combined it with 20 rep squats, and added 5kg of bodyweight in 4 weeks. The last time the mass gain from the 20s built the base so I could get my squat up to 165kg for 5s. Obviously I didn't keep those gains or I'd be a tank now, we're talking about years here so there were times away from training, bouts of gastro and so on (side effect of having a kid, you get sick more often). I'm in my 40s now, I can't make as good a use of the caloric surplus as a guy in his 20s, much more than 2lt and I'll just get fat.

I've had several male clients do 2lt in combination with a Starting Strength style programme, most will go from 60kg bodyweight to 75kg in 12 weeks, only adding a couple of inches on their waist but much more elsewhere.

One guy I didn't train in person but did advise built to 4lt/day and went from squatting 20kg x20 to 110kg x20, and from 80kg to 98kg bodyweight, it was about 6 months.

I've had a woman client use the 4lt regularly, she went from squatting 30kg x20 to 60kg x20 over 11 weeks, and from 59 to 65kg bodyweight. She's a cyclist so that burns a lot of excess calories, I normally only advise women to add in 1-2lt a day. Later working to squatting 60kg x45 she hit 69kg, and to 80kg x20 it was 72kg. Six week cycles on and off over 12 months.

Other women have added in 1-2lt and this usually adds 5kg over 6 weeks without making them chubby.

The advantage of milk is that for most it's easily-digestable. Full-cream will have 610kcal and 35g protein, equivalent calories from steak would be 300g (though that steak would have almost twice the protein) and that's harder to get down you than a litre of milk. Milk's also cheaper, unless you find some good deals or own chickens or something it's the cheapest protein source.

Those calories can be a disadvantage. Being a woman and/or older means that of the weight you put on, more will be fat. Likewise, the quicker you bulk, the more of what you add will be fat. As I see it, the 4lt a day is just for the underweight young guys, like under 30yo and 60kg. If you're a woman, over 30yo or already a healthy bodyweight, a litre or two will be plenty. Obviously if you're also doing shitloads of cardio then it's different, like my cyclist. It might be different if you're squatting 140kg for 20s, you might need more then, I dunno.

I usually advise people, start with a litre a day. Most are shocked by this, but I explain that a glass is 250ml, so a glass with breakfast, a glass with lunch, a glass with dinner and one before bed, there you go, there's your litre. Do that for a couple of weeks, see if it agrees with your system. If all is good, then 2lt/day for another two weeks, and so on. It's only useful if you're adding weight to the bar regularly, if you're just wandering into the gym with no plan and no journal, don't bother.

If you get the dose of milk and squats right, then the fat gain won't be huge and can be dealt with later. My usual guideline for guys is that their chest should be growing faster than their waist. So if over 4 weeks you add 10cm to your waist and only 5cm to your chest, maybe 2lt would be enough. Even if you don't care about looks, that fat gain indicates that your body's not using the extra energy, it's just storing it. No need to go to the trouble of putting the energy in if it's not being used.

We get good results for strength gains from this, too. Most people undereat in good nutritious food, and overeat the low-nutrition crap. If you're living on cigarettes and KFC there's only so far you'll go. At least if you're downing the milk you're getting something good into you.

Must be about 2500-2600 calories in full fat milk per gallon? Would be hard for anyone counting calories (unless bulking or a large % of calories were simply going to be from milk)

I have not tried drinking that much - prob max a day I used to drink was 2-2.5L of milk per day - looking at doing a "bulk" shortly and adding in my old school approach of 1L of milk before bed - used to do this all the time...not sure what difference it made but def easy calories....

Must be about 2500-2600 calories in full fat milk per gallon? Would be hard for anyone counting calories (unless bulking or a large % of calories were simply going to be from milk)

You would never use gallon of milk for anything but bulking and even then only really suitable for scrawny teenagers that can't put on any weight.

For the guys that did GOMAD were you counting calories as well.?

You would never use gallon of milk for anything but bulking and even then only really suitable for scrawny teenagers that can't put on any weight.

It was in reference to what Shreky said - I would never think its a good idea if counting calories for the large % of your calorie intake to purely come from Milk lol