• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

anyone here not working to a programme?

Definitely there are things which can be done at PTC which can't be done at a conventional gym. After all, they want to be able to get insurance, and insurance companies are famous for being pretty conservative about things ;)

However, we're talking about "home gyms". There are things you can afford to buy, and space you can afford to set aside, when you have 100 people coming there each week. And that makes it not really a "home gym". People pay money to use the equipment and be trained. That's a "commercial gym."

It's certainly very different to most gyms, but it is nonetheless commercial and a gym. It's not a home gym. Very few people are going to get all that stuff for their own garage. Like at my place, my woman thinks the car needs its own bedroom. I would rather have chinning bars, plates and benches there :D

I've had a home gym since 1992, PTC started in 2008.

The gym had 99% of the equipment in it since 2005.

It looked the same 5 years before it opened for business.

Does that qualify it as a home gym now????

Thing is, it's no longer a home gym. It's commercial. If you took your car and painted it yellow and got the taxi licence, it wouldn't be a "home car" anymore, it'd be a taxi. "But I drove it before it was yellow!" Sure. But now it's a taxi.

Plus, it has you to supervise it. If people have someone qualified and/or experienced supervising them and being paid for it, that ain't what anyone thinks of when you say "home gym."

Anyway, like I said, most people are not going to accumulate all that stuff at home.

I was just talking to an instructor today, he described going to someone's "home gym", it was an absersiser, a skipping rope, a pair of 1kg dumbells and a tennis ball. In a closet. Unfortunately this is pretty typical. People just don't know what stuff to get, and if they get it how to use it, and if they do, how to motivate themselves.

That's what a commercial gym - whether my Clayton Aquatics & Health Centre I go to, or your PTC Frankston - can offer, compared to doing stuff at home: equipment, supervision and motivation. Of course, some are much better at all that than others... I don't blame you for your contempt for mainstream gyms.

But I mean, that is no different to any other job or workplace - most are, well... ordinary. Some are good! PTC Frankston certainly looks good to me - but typical home gym it ain't. It has a heap of equipment and an experienced person supervising and motivating.

Your off track and missing the point.

PTC is new, my home gym was PTC, all I did was charge people to train.

It was built to accomodate my son, wife and me.

It once was a home gym, how can you not understand that. It was built as a home gym. I had a different business prior to 2008, but I trained in my home gym, where it was free of supervision, fees and clients. It was a home gym. Anyone can build a home gym like that. I built a home gym like that. Are you understanding that 2 years ago it was a home gym. Nothing changed inside from when it was a home gym. Its not a home gym now because I charge clients, but before that it was a home gym, no clients, just my gym at home, like a home gym.

Building a home gym of that size and usefulness takes knowledge, experience, effort, money and so on. Which most people don't have enough of and/or aren't willing to get or spend.

Anyone can do it, but they don't. Or your business would be rather quiet :)

Don't get all angry - I'm saying what you're doing is great! If it were easy and anyone could do it, it wouldn't be very impressive. And it is. Sorry.

I was just talking to an instructor today, he described going to someone's "home gym", it was an absersiser, a skipping rope, a pair of 1kg dumbells and a tennis ball. In a closet. Unfortunately this is pretty typical.

that is nowhere near a description of a home gym. i'd describe a typical home gym as having some free weights, usually a bench press or similar and maybe some cardio equipment like a treadmill or rower. a tennis ball is not gym equipment

Yeah, but unfortunately when the average person says, "I have a home gym", they mean something pathetic like that.

I brought this up a while back - of obese people presenting to doctors, about 65% claimed to have made at least one weight loss attempt in the last year, and about 18% claimed to have made five or more attempts. As I said there, lots of them are probably lying, but some must have genuinely tried, but given up because they had no idea what to do.

The other night we had a workmate around to dinner, we walked her home afterwards. Because of my interest in the industry, people just talk to me about these things without my bringing them up, and the first words out of their mouth are usually an excuse. "I'd like to but can't because..." I never asked them, I don't care. But there they are, defending themselves.

We walked the woman home, she was talking about how she'd like to go for more runs or walks, but it was dark out... at her home in her spare room she had a treadmill of some kind. "There you go," I said, "that saves you from the nasty dark."
"Oh, it's broken, as soon as I get it fixed I can get back into it."
"Will you get it fixed, though?"
"Yes, definitely."
"I see. How long has it been broken?"
"Well what went wrong was -"
"How long has it been broken?"
"This bolt down here -"
"How long?"
"... um.... about a year."
"So actually you don't keep it for exercise, you keep it for an excuse."

I smiled - she could take it, I knew. But still - no clue.

Most people have just got no clue about proper diet and exercise. Judging by his newsletters, I'm sure Markos would decide at least half of us here are ignorant and useless. But I think even the dumbest of us here (for example, me) is far and away above in knowledge and motivation compared to the woman with the excuse in the spare room, or the obese people "trying to lose weight" five or more times a year.

Most people just don't have a clue about this stuff. They have more important things to spend their time worrying about, like what's happening on Master Chef.

Programs like splits are only relevant when in your first few months of training or if you are bodybuilding. I would rather train the whole body in one workout as opposed to splitting up bodyparts on specific days.

I love Lifting heavy shit, but I also like Music I think its vital to a good work out.
I have had Slipknot on my mp3 for the last year, man that never gets old.

I like Slipknot's Before I forget and wait and bleed and left behind.
Gives me a "meanie"