• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

anyone on here do front squats?

thechosenone

Just watching john cenas dvd and he was doing some front squats in his workout, so i tried some in my shed on my squat rack mucking around, i had never done them before and my wrists are not so flexible. I done 60 kilos and my wrists felt like they were gonna snap being bent like that felt so awkward. Im thinking of adding them into my routine as i think they will be very good for wrist str and quads at the same time .

example

Back Quat x 2 sets
Front squat x 1 set
Deadlift x 1 set
Bench press x 3 sets
Dips x 2 sets
Rope crunch or bicep curl x 1 set

Thoughts?

Just takes a little practice mate.

Use the cross arm grip and you won't need the wrist flexibility

focus on getting your elbows high. its probably not a wrist problem. more of a tight lat/tricep problem.
use cross grip only when you have too.

focus on getting your elbows high. its probably not a wrist problem. more of a tight lat/tricep problem.
use cross grip only when you have too.

ok sweet any of yous know a good vid on youtube that shows you how to do them properly?

Look at any Olympic lifting vid that has the Clean&Jerk (when I say Olympics, I mean AT the Olympics, not some loser like me on YouTube lol)

Most of us don't consistently do them from the journals I've seen

Also, the routine you posted is bereft of any rowing exercises despite having 5 sets of chest/horizontal push exercises.

My suggested template for a full-body beginner workout is:

1. Squat Variation 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
2. Vertical Press Variation 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps
3. Posterior Chain Exercise 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
4. Horizontal Press Variation 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps
5. Rowing Variation 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps. Optional: superset with a Rear Delt or External Rotation exercise x 12-15 reps
6. Optional calves, arms, ab circuits 1-2 sets/circuits of 15-20 reps each (gotta chase that pump!)

Sample routine:
1. Back Squats
2. BB Military press
3. Romanian Deadlift
4. DB Incline Press
5. BB Bent Over Row ss with Rear Delt Flye
6. Ciruit: Ab Rollouts, DB Curls, O/H Tricep Extensions, Single Leg Calf Raise

Last edited:
It's similar yeah lol.

Basically you just want to cover the primary planes of movement:
Squat, pull from floor, vertical press, vertical pull, horizontal press, horizontal pull.

I've basically just changed the exercises to the movements so you can choose your own exercises + the option of abs/calves if you really want.
Also factored in that most people have hunched shoulders by throwing in extra rear delt stuff

front squats are cool. not as cool as back squats.
I've been going mon- bs, wed-fs fri-bs.
front squats give me a break from back squats and i think they help to strengthening my torso and upper back. also as practice for receiving the clean.

if you were to deadlift and squat each session then the front squat would be a good idea. less taxing on the posterior chain so your somewhat fresh for deads.

Just watching john cenas dvd and he was doing some front squats in his workout, so i tried some in my shed on my squat rack mucking around, i had never done them before and my wrists are not so flexible. I done 60 kilos and my wrists felt like they were gonna snap being bent like that felt so awkward. Im thinking of adding them into my routine as i think they will be very good for wrist str and quads at the same time .

example

Back Quat x 2 sets
Front squat x 1 set
Deadlift x 1 set
Bench press x 3 sets
Dips x 2 sets
Rope crunch or bicep curl x 1 set

Thoughts?

Front Squats require more technique than 'standard' squats. Rolled towel across front of shoulders, using a folded arm technique works but means you need to reduce the weight and concentrate on technique, keeping elbows horizontal at worst, slightly above horizontal preferred, rewsting bar in that ridge between front delts and trap.

Off topic/ very nice front squat ghosty. Just a little something i'll leave here for interest...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM_t7P4cALE]YouTube - ‪770lbs front squat‬‏[/ame]