• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Article on the ZZYZ subculture.

What is wrong and what is right? Some people lift for power, strength etc. Some lift because they wanna look pretty. Who is to say who is right? I don't much care for pretty boys but at the end of the day I couldn't give a 5hit if posers wanna pose. Good luck to them.

Exactly, to each their own. I think people should understand that everyone has the right to pave their own path. If it doesn't necessarily align with what you do, then so be it.

Didn't even know who Zyzz was until I read that.

My thoughts on steroids for aesthetics are pretty much sweeping generalizations that I probably can't defend. In a word, I think "stupid." Maybe with a little 'lazy' thrown in there for good measure... but a lot of the guys I've met who have had a 'roiding problem work out more or just as much as I ever have.

I do feel sorry for people doing it purely for aesthetics, because if you're never going to be happy with what your body naturally looks like through hard work, you've got deeper psychological issues to worry about.

I think most are missing the point.

Zzyz was an "idol".

People looked up to him, and did what ever he did.

This means going to the gym and carrying on like a knob, a disregard for women, turning up to festivals to perve on each other, flooding the boards with their silly lingo, and worst of all, teaching kids to use gear by having multiple cycles under his belt ( if he came off) before he was out of his teens...

This just came through to my personal FB account.
It was a long message by a young teenager, here is a small exert.

I still have a little faith!

DD3C23B3-EDAB-4BA9-A92A-648D9AECC518-1601-0000019E9BB01C4C.jpg

No, doesn't train with me, I have no idea who he is.

I appreciate the time he took to find me and write that though.

Even if your message got through to, or simply reinforced the beliefs to just that one guy, you did a damn good job.

I don't, if you die from ingesting too many drugs I think you really only have yourself to blame. Spose thats a whole different topic to the Zyzz sub culture thing.

I think the real problem for these kids is a fear of inadequacy. It was discussed at length on here in a thread on modern manhood. These kids get wrapped in cotton wool their whole lives then thrown out into the world. No confidence, no people skills, attention starved, try to get huge to fill the void.

Truth is most of them will carry those inadequacies into middle age and beyond, the steroids are a bandaid to bigger emotional and social problems.

Quoted for truth... Not just the zyzz types but most of of my generation and younger

I think most are missing the point.

Zzyz was an "idol".

People looked up to him, and did what ever he did.

This means going to the gym and carrying on like a knob, a disregard for women, turning up to festivals to perve on each other, flooding the boards with their silly lingo, and worst of all, teaching kids to use gear by having multiple cycles under his belt ( if he came off) before he was out of his teens...

My role models were Lou, Franco and Arnie growing up. Arnie has said some outlandish stuff, was bit of a womanizer and a smart ass. Juiced to the core. I wanted to be like him. Think of how many others aspired to be him and do whatever it took.

Zyzz was a kid himself, he may not have been a perfect role model but there are a lot of knobs about who are role models and more prominent than Zyzz. The amount of kids I know who think Charlie Sheen is God is ridiculous. All those things you mention - carrying on like a knob (I didn't know him so can't comment) a disregard for females, getting ripped for festivals has gone on long before Zyzz.

Now the last bit you mention, teaching kids to use gear in unacceptable. Did he really do this? Did he suggest to kids they should be using the gear to get to where they want to be body wise? That is despicable if true.

If not, I don't see the problem. Look at any bodybuilding magazine, and you'll see the same. A juiced figure who does 'x' program and 'y' supplements to get the body like that. Of course it's bullshit. I was an impressionable young kid too once upon a time, but I grew out of that.

There's a lot of bullshit that affects kids as they grow up, and social media is making it difficult to curb. I didn't know Zyzz personally, and I didn't know what he was like or how he acted. From the little bit I have read and watched, he just seemed geek turned gym junkie, who liked to joke around and not take himself too seriously. There's no shortage of knobs around, and I have met a myriad of bad influences far worse than Zyzz over my years (drugs, violence, you name it).

I am not sure how to curb what is going on in our youth, but I have worked in gyms since 03 and have seen kids as young as 14/15 flock in wanting a shredded physique and doing anything to do it. I think it's fantastic kids getting into the gym and lifting weights. I have seen it do wonders for their confidence and self esteem and most of all their health. Sure, it can become an unhealthy obsession but that's where education comes in. You don't need gear to be as big as Zyzz, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier.

I am not sure what he weighed but I have come from 78kg to 96kg naturally. Take a look at Pistachio. An absolutely admirable effort from scrawny to brawny. I know cutting up and laying down considerable mass has done wonders for me. I look good, I feel good. We just need to teach kids that this takes time to lay down the necessary foundations. I don't even think I have reached my genetic limits yet.

But on the flipside, I have seen a lot of good. I had quite a number of these kids come up to me while I was training in between shifts asking how to look like I did. I watched them over the course of 3 years and it was fantastic to see their progression, their confidence and self esteem boom. Some of them are 20 and 21 now, and look great - all natural.

Yes, there are issues in this realm. Yes, kids are training for the "wrong" reasons (pick up girls, ripped for the beach or festivals) etc. I would be a liar if I said one of the reasons I started lifting wasn't to impress the opposite sex. When you're 17, well what else? I wanted to be ripped, look good, pick up chicks, of course. But you grow up. You realise there are other benefits to why you do what you do. There are just as many dark alternatives, drugs, alcohol, violence. You name it.

To this day, at 27, I still like the feeling of walking around in a t-back singlet and looking good. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Anything. If you've worked hard, you're more than welcome to be proud of what you have achieved. I don't care what people think of me. I don't care if they think I am a meat axe looking wog with nothing between the ears (chances are I have a better UAI/TER than them anyway!)

And it doesn't matter what it is. Whether it's a chiseled body you love, or whether deadlifting 250kg makes you feel good. It's great, so long as it makes you happy. We need to understand that a lot of people start the things they do out of immaturity, and of course, they start for extrinsic reasons. No kid starts lifting in the gym because of the increased bone density, glucose uptake, affect on LDL cholesterol et al. These more intrinsic reasons occur as we get older and mature.

At the end of the day...

"Impressionable kid wants to look like/be like/talk like ....... ". News at 11.

Scott, can you please send me a dozen of those protein bags mentioned in the article, thanks. haha.

My role model was Keith Richards.

As an aside every alternate album he would use Richard, instead of Richards.

At least it looks like they are training legs.

Problem is how to "control" the steroid use or reduce harm ?
They are already banned.

Unban some and allow low dose ones on prescription so use can be medically supervised
and tracked by health departments ?

I still reckon the government should sell marijuana through chemists in set strengths similar to cigarettes if the health system is going to have to treat people from the effects of smoking it (some time in their life), why should the money just come from our tax dollars?

Allow researchers to study the long term effects of steroids and other chemicals/drugs and openly publish the results and studies.

I don't, if you die from ingesting too many drugs I think you really only have yourself to blame. Spose thats a whole different topic to the Zyzz sub culture thing.

I think the real problem for these kids is a fear of inadequacy. It was discussed at length on here in a thread on modern manhood. These kids get wrapped in cotton wool their whole lives then thrown out into the world. No confidence, no people skills, attention starved, try to get huge to fill the void.

Truth is most of them will carry those inadequacies into middle age and beyond, the steroids are a bandaid to bigger emotional and social problems.

Other problem is they never get to fail or know the fear of failure.
Mummies little darling is to smart to fail so it must be the teachers fault.

Mommy and/or daddy will threaten the teacher and school or uni with legal action if their kid isn't passed. Or threaten to ruin the teacher etc

Get a few cases at uni every semester most lecturers to get lost , some give in.

But we're getting a whole generation that has never failed at anything

Minchia speaks the truth ^^

I personally think zyzz had a positive impact on my journey thus far .. Seeing his videos and his physice definatly inspired me to get my act together and start taking my lifting serious .. Since then I have quit smoking , cut right down on drinking , completely stopped the drugs .. Whatever your reasons , lifting is a good addiction .