• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ausbb roundtable : ARMS

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Here are some questions on how you all train your arms
1) Do you train arms directly?

2) What exercises do you do? What rep ranges?
3) What exercises if any, do you do for the brachialis and forearms?
4) How important is the 'pump' for arms?

1 - Yes of course, why wouldn't you
2 - Anything with a barbell or dumbbell from 6 to 10 reps
3 - I often finish off with hammer curls
4 - I like the pump

1 - Yes of course, why wouldn't you
2 - Anything with a barbell or dumbbell from 6 to 10 reps
3 - I often finish off with hammer curls
4 - I like the pump

Your thoughts on how often to train arms???

Bicep Twice a week
Curls 3 x 6 to 12reps pronated
Curls 3 x 6 to 12 reps supinated

Tricep
One excercise twice a week as a finisher after bench and OHP
Dips once a week

I'm training arms twice per week for a while.
Might trigger new growth. One things for certain, they won't get smaller.

Sent from my iPod touch from Pluto

Arms are like any other muscle and I think deserve direct training, just like ABS.....so about 6 sets all up through out the week and anywhere from 6 up to about 20 reps per set.

Train arms twice a week.

For bi's I do DB incline curls (sets of 10) and BB curls (21s). Will sometimes do high rep cable curls to finish em off.

For tri's I do dips and if I want a 2nd exercise will flick between skulls, CG bench or tri pushdowns.

No direct forearm training for me.

Hell yes I like the pump.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Some chinups and curls for the arms, skullcrushers and close grip bench for the triceps. I just use a towel for cable exercises to work on my grip :D

Try to train em every second or third day, T-shirt season's commyn.

Bic

3 sets of EZ bar curls, 8-10 reps
1 set of heavy EZ bar curls, 2 reps at about 80kg

3 sets of standing alternating DB curls 6-8 reps

3 sets of straight bar curls 6-8 reps

Tric

3 sets of sitting tricep dress downs (like a dip but you load the machine with more than own body weight)

1 set of the above heavy, 2 reps at 160kg

3 sets of v-bar press downs

3 sets of overhead rope

Who doesn't love the pump? makes the guns look an inch bigger :)

For me I like to use machines, pre loaded barbells or dumbbells - anything where you can switch the weight fast.

I'll start really light and do sets of threes and move up in weight doing a set of 3 as soon as the weight is able to be changed. Eventually I hit a 3RM. Then I'll do the antagonist in the same manner. Sometimes I'll do a few of these ladders but I'm not sure how much volume is right for these. So the pin loaded machines or the cable machines are perfect for this. I do this with arms, calves and hamstrings. Hamstrings and calves are trained as antagonists to each other

My brachialis is only visible on one side and seems to be in proportion I guess. I find the other pulling exercises trains this and sometimes I'll do hammer curls or the pinwheel curls for biceps so I guess this train it as well. If you're trying to isolate your brachialis you're probably a moron anyway

Thin wrists make forearms look bigger.

I have 2" wrists in circumference. Muahahahha

Although I hate using cables for biceps, feels weird

ah ok yeah I see now
I hate cable biceps as well. The shit keeps pivoting around and it's generally a miserable time. And it feels like the top of the rep is the hardest part when it should be the start of the rep. I really like supported curls and they seem to work well but I've seen so many people tear their biceps doing these. I normally stick to the seated dumbbell curls

ah ok yeah I see now
I hate cable biceps as well. The shit keeps pivoting around and it's generally a miserable time. And it feels like the top of the rep is the hardest part when it should be the start of the rep. I really like supported curls and they seem to work well but I've seen so many people tear their biceps doing these. I normally stick to the seated dumbbell curls

With the cable it just doesn't feel balanced or steady
The biceps are a simple muscle group, a barbell curl and/or some form of dumbell curl is all you need.

High cable curls are the most stupid bicep exercise there is. Kunce do these at half reps because the cable won't allow full stretch. they look so stupid and pointless.

My thoughts.

I think that machines are justified
if you couldn't work the muscular structure you wanted to work in
"conventional ways" (barbells)...but some structures are "tweeners" like the triceps...
I think time has proven that the
triceps can be worked best when not
isolated...

Although, I think cablesin this instance is a good choice for triceps, you use the cable as in a pressing action, but that places a lot of stretch on the tricep, so you got to be careful.

Pressing movements are the trick, for arm growth.

Last edited: