• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Back Brace

popperman

As title , do you think one is needed for squating ? as im only just learning to do them correctly and i know a few lads that use them and a few that dont , im just getting my form right ATM at 80kg but plan to go large as soon as i feel im ready . Must say squating is SO much better than the leg press machine we were using :)

All a belt does is allow you to lift more weight
It does not protect you in any way. In fact the only times that I've had sprains has been when I'm wearing a belt. I suspect this is because the added stability allows me to put more strain on my muscles. Not an argument against belts. Belt vs no belt is 100% down to personal choice. There is no point at which you need to wear a belt really

I don't let any of my male lifters use a belt till the hit 140kg squats, then the option is theirs. Girls must squat 80kg.

You will squat more with a belt.

Thanks guys , ill just keep on goin as is for a while and see how i go . I am squating 2x a week so hopfully ill be at some good weight soon , i can still count how many times ive done it on 2 hands but all i want to at the gym now is squat !!! My brain says yes but my legs say NO !

Weightlifting belts can help support the back by increasing intra-abdominal pressure and preventing back hyperextension. They are most effective when used for maximal or submaximal lifts in which the spinal erector muscles work against heavy resistance. However, many ill effects, such as high blood pressure and abdominal muscle weakness, may result from improper use of weightlifting belts that is why they should be used sparingly in training.

it would be great for someone to list the lifts / exercises that people think a belt is appropriate!

Squats and deadlifts =)

And maybe bench / standing overhead pressing depending on personal preference.

Although you can wear a belt to curl if you think it helps... Just looks a bit silly.

I pull 285kg conventional, no belt.

I don't think they do anything on conventional pulls.

I wear my belt on squats/ sumo deads/ power shrugs.

If your at PTC, and wear a belt while benching raw, expect to have the piss taken out of you.
Shirted guys wear it to keep their shirts in place.... No need for a raw lifter.

Why is she wearing a belt then?

Thats why I said my girls/guys only get the option once they have hit certain numbers....
If they have a weak core, its an area that should be fixed, not hidden, especially in PL

I do most of my training without a belt and have just started putting it on prior to my meet so I'm used to it.

The stability feels awesome and I think doing most of your training without your belt will give you more carry over from your belt in the long run. Just speculation tho

Using a belt changes the way you will move in the squat.

I use mine while warming up for this reason.

Why is she wearing a belt then?

Thats why I said my girls/guys only get the option once they have hit certain numbers....
If they have a weak core, its an area that should be fixed, not hidden, especially in PL

She lifts more with one

Is PL after all ;)

I think between ProRaw and GPC nats she wore it for the last fortnight only
I'd say 90% of the training is done without, and it is only ever used on the main lifts.

Plus it's loose as fuck so it's more a guider than anything (much the same as putting your hand between someone's shoulder blades to get them to retract properly)

Most guys I see in the gym with belts have them on back to front and or way too loose.

I guess it must be good to look tough in the ignorance that others know you're a douchebag.

I rarely wore one, even when I was squatting and dead-lifting over 200kg.