• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Back tenderness where bar rests

Persistenttiger

I've just started doing heavier squats - previously I have only done bodypump (high reps) with 17kg on the bar. Mind you, it's not that much heavier (30kg) but with the olympic bar, so it's a bigger bar. Anyway, my back, where the bar rests, feels a bit bruised? Is that normal (ie: I just need to adjust) or could it be incorrect technique?

When squatting you need to pull your shoulders back and" up" as tight as you can this will create the place needed for proper bar placement.

It's your first time doing heavier squats, your skin will get used to it next week or week after.

My first time doing heavier low rep squats it hurt, next week its fine.

Mate you are quite small/petite so you will feel the bar dig at you until your traps fill out a bit more. My wife had a similar problem when she started squats, I suggest you fold a small towel over the bar to add padding (don't wrap it around, it will be to big), or you could use a bar pad, just make sure its not to big as its better to have the bar as close to you as possible from what I understand. It won't take to long for you to develop the traps and get use to the feeling, but don't just put up with it, add a small amount of padding to help yourself along, then remove it when you develop a bit more muscle mass there.
good luck.

When squatting you need to pull your shoulders back and" up" as tight as you can this will create the place needed for proper bar placement.
This! Forming a 'shelf' will help balance the bar and take a bit of the pressure off your neck.

Mate you are quite small/petite so you will feel the bar dig at you until your traps fill out a bit more. My wife had a similar problem when she started squats, I suggest you fold a small towel over the bar to add padding (don't wrap it around, it will be to big), or you could use a bar pad, just make sure its not to big as its better to have the bar as close to you as possible from what I understand. It won't take to long for you to develop the traps and get use to the feeling, but don't just put up with it, add a small amount of padding to help yourself along, then remove it when you develop a bit more muscle mass there.
good luck.

I had the same issue starting out. 7kgs later, i have a shelf

i work with a girl quite slight like yourself and she has a similar problem feeling comfortable with the bar. women naturally don't have a great deal of trap development so even pulling your shoulders back doesn't create enough of a shelf for the bar to rest on.

if your kids have bikes, use one of the foam crash pads off the top tube and fit it over the bar. as mentioned earlier ensure it is smallish in diameter, if it is too large it can feel even more uncomfortable due to a lack of stability.

good on you for having a go as well.

I have a bit of tenderness on the back of my shoulders from low bar at the moment. I can form a decent shelf on high bar but low bar I don't have the mass on the back of my shoulders yet.

There is a lot of muscle up there

A little soreness is nothing to worry about, although nerve impingement is another thing.
The narrower grip the better, find a width that is comfortable, pull the bar down into your back, stand up straight (chest out) imagine a man standing at the beach when a girl walks by. Or boy.
The only place the bar should not sit is on or above that boney bit sticking out just below the skull (run your hand down you neck starting from the bottom of the skull until you feel that part of the spine) anywhere below that is not going to cause an issue other than a bit of irritation if you are not accustomed to it, done often enough a callous will form.

Wear a Tshirt

The narrower grip the better, find a width that is comfortable, pull the bar down into your back, stand up straight (chest out) imagine a man standing at the beach when a girl walks by. Or boy.
this^^ pulling the bar down will create stability and should help make the load feel lighter.

just give yourself some time, you body is just adjusting to the weight.