• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench press form

JazDSpaz

Tough Mudder in training
Now I understand there is numerous ways to bench, ive been instructed to, have an arch and my feet back (nothing obscene but enough to keep my body tight).

2 out of the past 3 days I've gotten into arguments with people on this, saying it's bad form, cheating and using your whole body to push the weight so when you test a 1rm it's not really a true 1rm.

I'm 98% sure most people who powerlift or have a real strong bench do this. I mean. You have your naturally strong benchers that can press anything regardless of form but most people aren't this.

Just love to get people's thoughts on this and whether or not you setup with an arch or not and for whatever reason.

Who may l ask is saying this is 'wrong'? If someone is training purely for hypertrophy gains than they shouldn't lift like a powerlifter and vise versa. Neither are wrong as such they're just working towards different goals - Max weight lifted using correct technique passable in a competition versus someone trying to 'activate' their chest as much as possible.

Use the form that correlates to your goal.

One of the said persons is a PT who recently got her cert after 4 years (of the short shitty course) she also said she learnt strength and coaching. Doubt it.

That's what I tried to explain it's wasn't that my way was wrong but for what I want (strength and max effort) my form is perfectly fine.

You're fine... Just keep lifting how you're lifting for your goals. Call her 'sweetheart' next time you interact with her as well and advise her that her PT certificate is 'cute'. She may indeed have some knowledge in other areas but just take anything she says with a grain of salt / and or just ignore it and get out of the conversation as quick as you can. Like with anyone telling you something you should do your own research on it.

It all depends on your goals.
Want to bench the most you can at a PL contest? arch your back.
Want to isolate your chest? You're probably better off not arching. In fact, just use DBs and get a full stretch.

Both are safe if done correctly, neither is wrong. She's a knob.

Last edited:
ring fingers around the rings on the bar, feet flat, back arched (which helps with pinning the shoulders under the bench) and leg drive. Keeps my body tight for the lift and feels the most natural. Some people bench better with more or less arch, as long as the glutes are touching the bench itself it should be fine. Most of the criticism I've seen is directed towards those in non IPF feds who do the exaggerated arch with ass off the bench, on the tips of the toes with a super wide grip, usually females.

I wouldn't even bother bench pressing if I was lifting for 'aesthetics', I'd use DBs and do things like dips. I'm not a huge fan of the lift at all, I much prefer overhead pressing.

A little bit of arch is essential for proper bar path. The bum should feel securely clamped to the bench and feet should be flat. Flat feet make it easier to tighten the hamstrings and glutes which provides a stronger platform for pressing.