• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench, Squat, Deadlift

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
Everyone is told that these are/should be the foundation of a program - but are they really the be all and end all of "core" exercises or is this simply "bro-science" (as some people call it)?

I guess with alot of things coming out regarding dieting, supplements etc over the last few years and some things being "proven wrong" - where does training hit into it?

For leg development what is the difference between doing a squat or a leg press? A machine chest press to bench press? etc etc....

Is the bench, squat, deadlift "thing" simply bro-science?

As far as I understand it, Bazza is right, if you want to improve the bench, dead and squat then they are a must. As far as bodybuilding is concerned, you are working the muscle, not lifts. Whether that is right or wrong, who knows. There are thousands of differing opinions out there.

for sports based results I would say they should make up the core of you weight training program.

this is flogging a dead horse though, do what YOU enjoy and give YOU results not what some guru or book says.

For sport you could make a pretty good argument that exercises like farmers walk, sled drag and overhead press could be just as good or even better than squat bench dead.

The squat is a miracle exercise, the most important exercise invented by man, but dangerous as hell.

When I had a personal trainer a few years ago, he told me "Squat is king, if you only had 5 minutes to train, you can't beat the squat." Funny thing is I've never seen him squat.

Everyone is told that these are/should be the foundation of a program - but are they really the be all and end all of "core" exercises or is this simply "bro-science" (as some people call it)?

I guess with alot of things coming out regarding dieting, supplements etc over the last few years and some things being "proven wrong" - where does training hit into it?

For leg development what is the difference between doing a squat or a leg press? A machine chest press to bench press? etc etc....

Is the bench, squat, deadlift "thing" simply bro-science?

Physical Training 101, a movement where you move your body as opposed to a bar is a better movement eg pull up vs lat pull down, squat vs leg press etc. Just as a barbell movement is a better movement than a machine movement of the same movement.

For a novice it's important to get these basic motions down, to build up the motor patterns needed for effective training

like opening post, no I don't think they need to be basis of strength program, unless you are powerlifter.

I'd say Squat is essential as no other singular exercise compares to it in terms of its effectiveness as a multijointed, muscle building tool for the entire body, though the benefits lie mainly with the legs of course. Followed closely by the overhead press for the upperbody. I always have a love/hate relationship with deadlifts because if it goes wrong, the shit really hits the fan (lower back problems), so if I were to choose another exercise It would have to be strict pendlay rows. I can do these 3 every day as my main lifts if I had to and I wouldn't complain.

like opening post, no I don't think they need to be basis of strength program, unless you are powerlifter.

Agree, from a bb perspective, I've seen and experienced strength and muscle gain from leg press, hack squats, pecdeck, lat pull downs, machine press, etc.
Have tried many routines over 20 yrs and can't say they make night and day difference.
Agree flat bb bench has worked best for my chest bur leg press and extensions worked best for quads.
I cringe when I hear this you have to do the 3 or...........bull shit.
Include them periodically, you will not shrink without them.

yes, for me squats are a great exercise for legs, as long as form is main priority rather than how much is lifted.

I have also seen many huge bb's train while rarely doing heavy lifts on big three.

Outside powerlifting, I would not even recommend deadlifts.

yes, for me squats are a great exercise for legs, as long as form is main priority rather than how much is lifted.

I have also seen many huge bb's train while rarely doing heavy lifts on big three.

Outside powerlifting, I would not even recommend deadlifts.

Boom, nuff said!

they're the foundation for strength, IMO it's pants on head stupid as a beginner to leap into an advanced bodybuilding routine / exercises without a base to back it up. They say "if you can't flex it, don't isolate it".

Only caveat is that the Squat and Deadlift have great injury potential if not done correctly.

You're not a powerlifter unless you compete, same as you're not a BB'er unless you're prancing on stage in speedos covered in gold paint.