• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best value for money

S

StealthBus

Hi guys

I'm moving into a larger house soon and looking to get a decent free weights setup. I'd like to spend around $3k, and will mostly be doing compound powerlifting movements - squats, bench, deads, rows and overhead press. I haven't trained in about 2 years, but previous maxes were around 140kg squats, 190kg deads, 90kg bench.

I am currently trying to choose between the MM commercial, open topped rack or the Force USA commercial rack

Option 1: Olympic Heavy Duty Multi Power Rack | Gym and Fitness Equipment
Option 2: Commercial Power Rack | Gym and Fitness Equipment

Would like to get a decent bar and some rubber coated weights, was considering the IronEdge premium bumpers + bar set but when adding a decent bench this would push me a bit over budget, and I don't think I'll be moving to oly lifts anytime soon - would like to build up a decent strength base with the above movements first and feel a bit nervous about doing the explosive oly lifts without some coaching.

The equipment I'd like to get for this budget would be:

Rack
Good bar + collars
200+kg oly weights or a full set of bumpers - already have 100kg in big old metal plates sitting around.
Bench - doing standing instead of seated press I'm not sure I need an incline, flat might be fine. Depends on the roof height in the new garage but I won't know that for 2 weeks yet.
GHR (optional) - I have an old hamstring injury and my left side is weaker than my right, especially in my legs. Would like to build these back up a bit.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Last edited:
Heaps of awesome info on here regarding good home setups mate. I have been doing a truck load of research as I am looking to get a full rack setup with bar and plates, all the info you will ever need can be found by searching the threads for 'power rack'.

The Muscle Motion and Force USA setups look good. And the Powertec gear looks good too. Sites like Littleblokefitness, gym direct, sams fitness and gym & fitness, put together some great packages.

Sorry I can't post links for ya, on my phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Heaps of awesome info on here regarding good home setups mate. I have been doing a truck load of research as I am looking to get a full rack setup with bar and plates, all the info you will ever need can be found by searching the threads for 'power rack'.

The Muscle Motion and Force USA setups look good. And the Powertec gear looks good too. Sites like Littleblokefitness, gym direct, sams fitness and gym & fitness, put together some great packages.

Sorry I can't post links for ya, on my phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I've read all the power rack threads but most seem to be focussed on a cheaper budget than mine, there's not a lot of info on the commercial racks.

Happy to hear if people think there's no need on spending the extra too.

Last edited:
Why do you want bumpers?

I'm not set on that, just considering it as an option. Was thinking that it'd be better to spend a little bit extra now and have a set of weights that can be used for both power lifting and oly stuff rather than have to buy again in the future, but the more I think about it the more oly stuff is a long way off at this point.

I shopped with a much larger budget than what you have listed here, and I ended up with the MM commercial rack like such...

HPRSP Commercial Power Rack

The rack you have listed looks even better again and I have read some great reviews from people on here regarding the Force USA racks. That said, I can guarantee you that you will not need a stronger rack than the the one I purchased or dare I say, based on every one else's responses the Force USA rack.

As long as you are happy with the extra $500 then buy this....

Olympic Heavy Duty Multi Power Rack | Gym and Fitness Equipment

I already have the Force usa commercial rack, but if I had the choice to choose again I'd get this one
Force USA - Power Rack with Band Attachments | Gym and Fitness

the commercial one you can't deadlift from inside the rack, and it's a bit too wide, even the new narrower ones.

If you want to get all in one place get the Texas power bar,
Troy Barbell Olympic Texas Power Bar | Fitness Equipment
and some bumper plates 2 each from 10kg, and as many 25's as you can afford.
plus 2 each of 1.25kg, 2.5kg, 5kg metal plates
and some collars, not sure what these are like but they look like a clone of the lockjaws
Olympic Quick Lock Collars - Pair - Magnum Fitness

I already have the Force usa commercial rack, but if I had the choice to choose again I'd get this one
Force USA - Power Rack with Band Attachments | Gym and Fitness

the commercial one you can't deadlift from inside the rack, and it's a bit too wide, even the new narrower ones.

If you want to get all in one place get the Texas power bar,
Troy Barbell Olympic Texas Power Bar | Fitness Equipment
and some bumper plates 2 each from 10kg, and as many 25's as you can afford.
plus 2 each of 1.25kg, 2.5kg, 5kg metal plates
and some collars, not sure what these are like but they look like a clone of the lockjaws
Olympic Quick Lock Collars - Pair - Magnum Fitness

Is that because there isn't enough difference to justify the price between the commercial Force USA and the one you have listed, along with the width issue ?

Last edited:
Width is the main issue, the price for the commercial rack is reasonable considering how big and how much accessories come with it, But unless you need the weight storage the cheaper rack does everything I do in the commercial rack, and is narrower which is my major annoyance with the commercial one.

Soo, 18 months and 2 children later I bought the Force USA commercial rack, oly bar, 150kg of weights to go with my existing 100, 3x3 gym flooring and a cheapy incline bench. Picking it up next week when the rack comes into stock.

Soo, 18 months and 2 children later I bought the Force USA commercial rack, oly bar, 150kg of weights to go with my existing 100, 3x3 gym flooring and a cheapy incline bench. Picking it up next week when the rack comes into stock.
Good work!