• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Betaine Nitrate/ nitrates

Davepuppies

Puppy Kunce
Hi all,

has as anyone tried betaine nitrate, or any of the other nitrates (creatine etc)

i have heard they are great for pumps, and wondered how they compared to arganine?

I have just started a cutting phase, and have dropped my carbs considerably, and would still love to get good pumps in the gym.

Dunno man. I used a pre-workout that had Nitrates, didn't feel any added pumps that i wouldn't normally get. Can't remember the brand sorry.

Yep I have the BN creatine nitrate caps which I'll add to some old BN Pre Workout 101 I have before they discontinued.

The nitrates in NO3X really give a huge pump as well, worth a go I think!

I don't use stimulants, so just use their normal pre workout mix without the stims. Thinking of adding a nitrate as you have.

I usually use Musclepharm Creatine which has 4 or 5 different types, creatine nitrate being one of those. I find it works better than regular mono

Used to get good pumps from Cellucor's NO3, that's mostly arginine nitrate but the best pumps I've had have come from Ep1c.

The other thing to note is I am relativley low carb, so not as much glycogen flooding the muscles.

The BN pre workout works well after 5 days of dieting, but as I continue I imagine it will get harder to get a decent pump.

The other thing to note is I am relativley low carb, so not as much glycogen flooding the muscles.

The BN pre workout works well after 5 days of dieting, but as I continue I imagine it will get harder to get a decent pump.

I've noticed a definite decrease in pump after a week low carb. Strength hasn't declined though which is good.....yet lol! Big carb up over the weekend! 4kg down, mostly water.

I've used Betaine before, didn't find that it made a tangible difference from memory. Have a tub of powder which I'll open and use. Will let you know if beneficial.

as you become more fat adaptive, i cant see the pump getting worse, so long as your well hydrated.

but some carbs around workout time, even if they are your only carbs besides some vegetables, is a good route to go if your going down that road.

Hi all,

has as anyone tried betaine nitrate, or any of the other nitrates (creatine etc)

i have heard they are great for pumps, and wondered how they compared to arganine?

I have just started a cutting phase, and have dropped my carbs considerably, and would still love to get good pumps in the gym.

I'll let you in on a "secret" ok. Arugula, also known as rocket, this right here:

arugula-rocket.jpg

It may just exceed your expectations, so easy does it. Place a handful in your shake and enjoy the lift from the inside out. Let me know if you find a food (or even a supplement) that comes close when it comes to the amount of NO it has. Here, this is an injection directly from God's lab!

as you become more fat adaptive, i cant see the pump getting worse, so long as your well hydrated.

but some carbs around workout time, even if they are your only carbs besides some vegetables, is a good route to go if your going down that road.
I am not going that low carb, I have a banana at breakfast to help fuel my workout and pump, the rest of the day is carbs from brocolli, green beans and a small amount of green peas, but then I have some starchy high glycemic carbs 30 mins before bed to help me sleep. Overall carbs are not particularly low, but are low compared to my usual amounts.

I'll let you in on a "secret" ok. Arugula, also known as rocket, this right here:

View attachment 10805

It may just exceed your expectations, so easy does it. Place a handful in your shake and enjoy the lift from the inside out. Let me know if you find a food (or even a supplement) that comes close when it comes to the amount of NO it has. Here, this is an injection directly from God's lab!

I really like baby rocket. Maybe a couple of handfuls mixed with eggs for breakfast

View attachment 10805

I read this post just AFTER I'd finished today's workout.

I ate a big pile of this stuff, with my lean beef mince.

Next time, I'll eat it before I hit the weights. Cheers :)!

Well Nick is a salesman afterall. :)

Just with this, I hope it isn't seen as chasing a "quick sale" with my advice to DavePuppies.
I've been posting along side Dave since around 2004-2005 on bodybuilding forums so my advice to him about Nitrates was genuine.
I was simply passing to him testing we did on this before we released any Nitrate in our range and also customer feedback we've had.

Before releasing Creatine Nitrate into our range for example, we had staff trial this during their workouts to test the hype. Surprisingly, at such a low dose (low for an "effective Creatine dose" but high enough for a pump) of 1000mg, this showed great effects. Consistent to what customers are telling us of "2 caps" for a pump (1000mg).

We also did a lot of trialing with customers of our NO3X Pre Workout which contains a fair amount of Nitrates before we released it for sale to test it's pump effects (as well as it's other areas such as focus etc).

I just wanted to explain that my advice to Dave was based on feedback and not just a salesman "quick sale" approach, although I know you likely meant it as a joke :)

Cheers!

Nick I don't think anyone that knows you sees you as a salesman mate, but rather a great source of technical knowledge of supps.

maybe we should change your handle to Magicsups? M.S.? ;)

Nick I don't think anyone that knows you sees you as a salesman mate, but rather a great source of technical knowledge of supps.

maybe we should change your handle to Magicsups? M.S.? ;)

lol, no no. I'm learning everyday actually.
Believe it or not a lot of learning comes from customers giving feedback and posts made on forums.
Especially things which aren't completely understood such as pump and "mind" products where we all react differently.
A particular dose having an effect on one individual and then absolutely nothing at all in another and then chatting with these customers as much as possible about their lifestyle to try and pick up why one had an effect and another didn't so that I can be more helpful to the next person in email that approaches with the question.

There are no course or classes you can take for sports supplements. Trial and error, but mainly customer feedback and threads such as these is where the best learning takes place.

Learn something new everyday! :)
Cheers.

I've used Betaine before, didn't find that it made a tangible difference from memory. Have a tub of powder which I'll open and use. Will let you know if beneficial.
[MENTION=17825]Davepuppies[/MENTION]; after a couple of months of continuous use my opinion of betaine is that it doesn't have a tangible effect. I have been consuming about 1.5g pre workout. As far as I can tell no loading is required. That being said, throughout this time I have been low cal and low carb. I have however not encountered any issue in getting and maintaining a pump while training, but I put that down to mainly staying hydrated and other otc pwo additives. I wouldn't consider it an essential, but if you have some on hand or a few spare dollars it won't do any harm. Always interested to hear other opinions.