• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Build your own?

Headley

BigRed Kunce
Hey anyone ever tried to build their own equipment? I want to get into some metalworking, i reckon making gym equipment would be a good job to start with: practical results, easy to change/alter etc

Making some benches would be a straight forward task, designing and building a lat pulldown machine would be good fun to do :)

Had a couple of mates build a couple bits and pieces, not as easy as you would think to end up with a decent product at the end and quite often it is cheaper to just buy something already made and works, raw metal isnt that cheap anymore, unless you can find somewhere you can get some decent scrap pieces from, then you have pullies, trimming etc etc

Hey anyone ever tried to build their own equipment? I want to get into some metalworking, i reckon making gym equipment would be a good job to start with: practical results, easy to change/alter etc

Making some benches would be a straight forward task, designing and building a lat pulldown machine would be good fun to do :)

Make sure that shit is strong mate

Yeah i wouldn't do it with cheapness in mind, rather than something i can say 'i made this'. Getting plate, SHS and rods would be no big deal, neither would pulleys and cable. Getting some steel to slide inside other parts like an adjustable bench could be trickier but not much.

can use existing equipment for design ideas, and modify to the size you want.

or.. improve the designs, as a lot out there are not ideal

Exactly, its what I did, got a mates multi gym, my benches and the attachements and hacked it all up, pulled parts of the gym set that were solid and dumped all the flimsy bits.
Steel was not an issue, at the time I worked for BHP, tubing of all shapes, sizes and finish was available by the ton.
I measured the room and bits I had kept, got onto autocad and drew up (what I thought) was the perfect home BB gym, then went to work on saw and mig. I modified bits, made bits, joined bits, fabricated stands, and racks c/w storage to perfectly fit the room. Than stripped it and my mate sprayed it white.
The result was awesome, solid as, perfect fit for the room and covered all exercises I was diong.
The sense of satifacion killed it, and I could never get enough of saying "you can't buy it anywhere, I built it" (well, a lot of it) when asked about it.
Stayed with the house when I sold it, realy regret not photographing it now.