• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Building a stronger heart?

there are different aspects of cardiovascular strength, for sure.
which means, that there isn't one type of activity that will increase overall "strength".

definitely papers on different aspects of it around ... pubmed!

Generally any form of exercise that allows you to maintain an elevated heart rate for 30min or more, 5 times per week. It doesn't have to be hard yakka - just brisk walking will work for most but you can always amp up the intensity depending on your skill level.

When my back was stuffed and I couldn't run, I use to walk up heaps of hills as that allowed me to increase my heart rate without jarring impact movements (running etc)

Exercises like HIIT is also of great benefit as it helps train the anaerobic (without oxygen) side of things and has a huge benefit

cardiovascular "strength"?
ie, ability to exert more power during exercise.

Based on this definition, I'd be looking at things such as Tabata training and other similar HIIT protocols.

I'd be looking at things such as Tabata training and other similar HIIT protocols.

based on what you're asking, definitely this ^^^

the same sort of thing that requires lots of developed fast twitch fibres for power.

sprinting is really good but any HIIT stuff is great.

Your heart is never weaker than what your body allows you to do on a regular basis.

If I'm understanding correctly, I think more of what you're asking is a thoracic question, than a heart-specific question.
If you can get more air into your lungs, and therefore get your blood more oxygen saturated, your BPM will drop during any activity because your muscles are getting what they need. It's not so much a question of increasing your BPM as increasing your VO2 max.

In this case, anything you do that promotes endurance will help. What constitutes endurance for individuals is a completely subjective matter though. For you it might be a 20 minute brisk walk, for others it might be 2 hours rowing on a lake.

As far as what happens to your heart rate under heavy loading, it should lower naturally. I probably wouldn't explain it right, but it has something to do with the vagus nerve, which lowers your heart rate and heightens BP when stimulated to basically re-route every resource your body has into the attempted completion of what is currently stressing your body.

I think you are confused, the heart pumps blood around your body, to supply oxygen and remove waste. No force required. Higher blood pressure does not result in better performance the way I see it.

Your whole cardiovascular system becomes more efficient with exercise, and as such reduces your heart rate by working more efficiently. Doing any sort of cardio wok as well as weights helps this process. But generally you need to do what you want to be good at.

What you are talking about, in regards to heart strength, is referred to as "Stroke Volume". This means the heart can pump out more blood per beat due to increased strength of contraction. It is the method that really increases your cardiovascular ability as heart rate is pretty much set. Those who do more work with lower heart rates have a higher stroke volume. Great endurance athletes have a higher stroke volume to go along with great muscular endurance and efficiency.

Your question is still really wacky though. For lifting weights your cardiac stroke volume ability means crap all. In sprinting it helps to buffer acid increases by moving hydrogen ions to your lungs. In regards to a max lift it has no effect, your heart is not a limiter of 1RM ability unless it is seriously already in trouble which means you have some kind of cardiovascular disease.

That's it mick.

METABOLIC CONDITIONING: THE 3x3 WORKOUT

Matt Brzycki

Coordinator of Health Fitness, Strength and Conditioning

Princeton University

Typically, coaches have athletes perform their strength training separate from their conditioning activities. Yet, during the course of their competition, many athletes are required to integrate their muscular strength with their cardiovascular or aerobic conditioning.

Metabolic conditioning is essentially a combination of strength training and aerobic conditioning. Unfortunately, conditioning an athlete's metabolic system is rarely addressed. Metabolic conditioning may be improved by simply doing strength training with very little rest between exercises. Performed in this fashion, the shared demands on an athlete's muscular and cardiovascular systems will create a metabolic conditioning effect that cannot be approached by traditional methods of training.

The 3x3 Workout

On June 1, 1996, I had brunch with John "JT" Thomas, the Penn State Strength Coach. Our conversation drifted to opinions as to what exercises each of us thought were the absolute toughest to do. Along those lines, JT told me about the toughest workout he'd ever been through. The workout occurred several years ago when he was an Assistant Strength Coach at the U. S. Military Academy. At the time, the Strength Coach at the Academy was Bob Rogucki. (Bob has been the Strength Coach of the Arizona Cardinals for the past 5 or 6 years.) JT told me that Bob once put him through a workout that required an amazing amount of metabolic conditioning. The workout is sometimes referred to as a "3x3" (i.e., three by three) and has become one of JT's favorites.

Strangely enough, at roughly the same time JT was describing his 3x3 Workout, Tony Alexander (my training partner) was going through a version of it. Figure 1 details the workout Tony did on June 1, 1996.

When he was done with the workout, Tony said he collapsed into a chair and was numb from his neck to his calves. One hour later, he said his heart rate was still 100 beats per minute (bpm). (His normal resting heart rate is about 60 bpm). In Figure 1, notice that Tony was also using exceptionally heavy weights during this workout. For example, at a bodyweight of about 230 pounds he performed his first set of dips and chins with an extra 25 pounds of resistance. The herculean workload placed upon both his muscular and aerobic systems simultaneously translates into a tremendous metabolic conditioning effect.

3x3 Design

The sample routine shown in Figure 1 is just one of many possible versions of a 3x3 Workout. A 3x3 Workout can actually be modified in a countless number of ways. However, it's critical that the athlete performs every set to muscle failure. It's also important that the athlete moves quickly between exercises with as little rest as possible. The length of the recovery between exercises will depend upon the athlete's present level of metabolic conditioning.

A 3x3 Workout is basically a multiple-joint hip movement followed by a multiple-joint chest movement followed by a multiple-joint upper back movement and repeated two more times with as little rest between exercises as possible. Using these three types of movements will address every major muscle in the body including the hips, quadriceps, hamstrings, chest, upper back, shoulders, biceps, triceps and forearms.

The most demanding exercises for the hips would be some type of squat, deadlift (with an Olympic bar or a trap bar) or leg press. Certainly, dips and chins would represent the most challenging selections for the chest and upper back. Those who cannot perform dips and/or chins with their bodyweight can perform the movements in a negative-only fashion. Three other exercise options for the chest are the bench press, incline press and pushups. Any type of pulling movement -- such as lat pulldowns or rows -- are suitable for the upper back.

The first time through the movements, an athlete should reach muscle failure at about 20 reps for the hip exercise, 12 for the chest exercise and 12 for the upper back exercise. When the sequence is repeated the second time, the repetition goals would be 15 for the hip exercise, 10 for the chest exercise and 10 for the upper back exercise. The third time through the movements should have goals of 12 for the hip exercise, 8 for the chest exercise and 8 for the upper back exercise. In summary, the repetition goals for these movements should be 20, 15 and 12 for the hip exercise and 12, 10 and 8 for the chest and upper back exercises.

Another Application

I tried a 3x3 Workout similar to that shown in Figure 1 on June 7, 1996. Overall, I may have done more demanding workouts but this one ranked right up there with the most challenging. From a muscle fatigue standpoint, the 3x3 Workout was brutally effective. I've experienced far greater muscular soreness from numerous workouts. However, no other workout I've ever done compares to this one as far as the high level of metabolic stress.

First, let me say this about the muscle fatigue from this workout: I didn't use wrist straps for chins (in order to save time). For more than 5 minutes following the workout, my forearms were engorged with so much blood that it felt like they would explode. I couldn't even close my hand to make a fist. I can't ever recall feeling that much muscle fatigue throughout the entire length of my forearms for that amount of a time. The fatigue in my biceps and triceps was also very evident almost immediately after the workout. The next area I noticed was my hips and legs. After about 3 hours, my upper back started to tighten up. About 4 hours later, I could feel my abs start to stiffen. And my upper back was getting more numb by the hour. Oddly enough, I had very little muscle soreness the next day.

Getting back to the metabolic stress: From a standpoint of total systemic fatigue -- that is, my muscles, heart, lungs and so on -- a 3x3 Workout was incredibly demanding. After the first set of leg presses, I was already inhaling and exhaling like I had just sprinted a quarter-mile. At this point, my lungs were on fire and I was gasping for air. After performing my dips, I went right into chins -- only pausing long enough to change the weight I used that was around my waist. Needless to say, the second and third times around were progressively more difficult.

It only took me 20 minutes to perform this particular 3x3 Workout . . . and I was panting the entire time. When I finished my last exercise (the third set of chins), my heart was pounding like crazy and my pulse was 150 bpm. As I was taking my pulse, my hand and fingers started to cramp from simply pressing on my carotid artery.

In short, a 3x3 Workout places an incredible demand upon every major muscle in the body and, at the same time, stresses the cardiovascular pathways. Furthermore, this type of workout can be used to improve an athlete's metabolic conditioning in a time-efficient manner.

it comes about from an incident (accident) that occurred a number of years ago. one day i can run up mountains, and then after incident nearly pass out going up 5 stairs...
over the last 5 years it's gotten a lot stronger, but still the limiting factor in exerting force or producing power...

so i guess it's more about returning heart "strength" to normal, or assisting it to do so, or maybe i am just confused?? :confused:

in the end i suppose the answer is the same.. do more stuff at higher intensity as often as possible :D

You do not know what is actually wrong then? Seeing as though you wrote incident/accident I would not know if it was a car accident, heart attack etc etc etc. There could be any issues unless proper background info is given. These could be nerve issues, physical damage or just general weakness due to lack of training.

There are two main things that determine good heart health;

1) Blood pressure - the force of the blood against the artery walls. A typically normal reading is 120/80. The first number is called the'Systolic pressure' and is the pressure as the heart beats and forces blood into the arteries. The last number is called the'Diastolic pressure' and is the pressure as the heart relaxes between beats. A BP between 130/90 and 90/60 is considered the min and max for 'normal' blood pressure.

There are many factors that cause either or both numbers to rise, none are conducive to good heart health and your blood pressure should be checked regularly, especially after you enter your thirties. They don't call hypertension the silent killer for nothing.

People who experience dizziness when standing after a period of resting, or shortness of breath during exercise, often have low BP. (if you have really low BP, your heart cannot pump enough blood to the lungs quick enough for re-oxygenation. Blood depleted of oxygen, results in poor performance and often dizziness. People who experience a racing heart in seemingly non stressful situations, anxiousness and headaches can often be found to have high PB - that is how I found out I had high BP.

2) Pulse rate - the number of times your heart beats per minute. In a healthy heart, an increased pulse does not correlate with increased BP. An acceptable resting heart rate is 60BPM. It bears no relation to BP. Even though your heart beats faster with exercise, blood vessels dilate to allow more blood to flow through the arteries and veins more easily, thus, allowing PB to not increase relatively. When you exercise, your heart speeds up so the blood can reach your muscles. It may be possible for your heart rate to double safely, while your blood pressure might only increase a small amount.

The more efficient your heart becomes at supplying your body with blood during times of need, the lower your resting heart rate will become. The lower your resting heart rate, the fitter you are. By recording, over a period of time, your resting heart rate prior to and after exercise and noting how long it takes for your heart rate to return to normal (full recovery) following exercise, you will begin to see improvements in both resting HR and also how quickly you recover from physical exercise. Someone like Lance Armstong can go from a max heart rate of 2ooBPM to a resting heart rate 34BPM withing 2 min - that is a seriously efficient heart.

If you do have, or think you have, an underlying medical condition, I strongly advise you see your doctor to discuss your options with him. they may want you to follow a certain program to ensure previous issues do not return and new issues do not occur. If you've not had your BP checked in a while, it's the perfect opportunity to get it done, and speak to them about any other issues us men tend to ignore.

Last edited:
Yes, you should get a stress test and not be getting advice off of the internet. If you can cruise along at 170-175 for 2 hours your heart itself may not be the issue. I would get a stress test to rule out any cardiac complications at submax and maximal exertion then once that issue is/is not ruled out then move on to other reasons such as neurological issues. There are a lot of cardiac conditions I can not even remember from my cardiac rehab studies (not my area of interest so I am trying to forget them) that can cause a multitude of issues.

Clear up the cardiac issue first and move on from there. And your explanation is still vague "heart can't keep up", try to refine it as best you can for whoever is treating you.

Last edited: