• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bulding strength for sport

W

WGN-355

Alright just joined this site so not sure if its the right place to post this. I'm going to play footy again next yr after not playing for 6 yrs.(22 now last played when was 16) I want to build some strength and size to help my game as i'm not the biggest person but more want to concentrate on strength. I'm 22, 182cm, and 73kgs and look like a stick. Would love to be around the 80 kilo mark while still being agile and quick as i play fullback. Any tips on strength exercises and eating habits would b great as i'm a newbie to all things about building muscle and so on.

Cheers Daz.

Weight training
This is advice for gaining strength as your priority - but size will come along with it, especially in the first several months.

Train three times a week, with a day off in between. There are two workouts, alternate them.

Workout A
Deadlift
Bench press
Bent over barbell rows

Workout B
Squat
Overhead press
Heaves - aka chinup/pullup, hands towards or away, spread or close, whatever's comfortable and lets you get up there

Ask at your gym for coaching on doing these lifts. If you're using a home gym, ask an experienced friend or get a trainer at least for one session, it's important to do them right. Failing that, look on youtube for "rippetoe", there are some good videos giving coaching for these lifts.

With each exercise apart from heaves, do 1 very light set of 20-30 reps (movements) - just the bar or something. This warms up your muscles and stretches them out ready for action.

Then add weight and do 5 reps. Repeat 4 times. For example, deadlift might look like,
20x bar only (in fact 20kg for an Olympic bar)
5x 25kg (ie bar +5kg)
5x 30kg
5x 35kg
5x 40kg
5x 45kg

Let's say you can't manage 5 reps on the last set, only 3. That's okay. Try again next time. When you can do all 5 sets of 5 reps with good form, add weight to each set. The idea is that the first 5-rep set should have roughly half the weight of the last set.

Between each set, rest for 2-5 minutes.

With the heaves, it's a bit different. If you cannot do even 1 heave, then do "negatives". Jump up into the top position and let yourself slowly down. Rest for a moment. Then jump up again, and let yourself slowly down. Do that 10 times. Next session, 15 reps total. After that, 20. And so on. You're not worrying exactly how many you can do in one go, just how many you can do in one workout - you can spread them throughout your workout if you want to, you don't have to do them in one go.

When you can do 20-30 negatives you should be able to do 2-3 full heaves. Now work on a total of 20 heaves, the next week 30, then 40, and finally 50. When you can do 50 heaves in total, you'll probably be able to do 5-10 heaves in one go.

Work up to doing 3 sets of 10+ heaves.

Try all this for 12 weeks, then have a full week off and reassess, looking at your progress so far and reconsidering your goals.

Fitness and agility training
This is best addressed by your football coach and training, or by other posters here like Markos (PTC). I know just about beginners, and making them stronger, bigger or smaller, and fitter generally.

Diet
This is advice is also based on your wanting to gain strength, and with it a bit of size. You need energy and nutrition to power your workouts and repair your muscles after the workouts.

Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies, nuts and beans, some meat, fish and/or dairy. If you want to get bigger, eat lots of starchy foods (spuds, rice, pasta, bread).

Make a workout drink out of 500ml milk with 100g skim milk powder and 3 eggs. Drink half before and half after the workout.

If at any time you lack energy, you are probably not eating enough. If after a month you have not put on any weight nor have you got stronger, you are definitely not eating enough.

Make sense?

Where are you from?

I had a footballer from the Brisbane Lions training at my gym in Frankston. He went from 79kg to 85kg from October to December, decided not to re-enter the draft and played in the VFL instead.

I generally have 5-10 footballers doing pre season at my place, up until January.

Yes mate it makes sense thnx for the help. I plan on doing it all at home. please explain Bent over barbell rows and Overhead press as i'm new to all these terms.

PTC- I'm from Cowra NSW mate.

Last edited:
Yeh mate but its 4hrs away from me. I'm in the country an hr from Bathurst.

It can be worth a long trip to learn the lifts. You'll be lifting for more than eight hours, won't you? :p Go down, make a weekend of it.

Alternately, most gyms have a "free week's trial", go for that week for free, get someone to coach you in the big lifts, then go back to your home gym.

Apparently Cowra has at least two gyms,

Cowra Health & Fitness
101-103 Redfern Street
COWRA NSW 2794

Time 4 Fitness
24 Macquarie Street
COWRA NSW 2794

Really it is worth the effort. If you plan to be lifting for years, then you shouldn't be worried about spending a few hours learning it. I know the internet is part of the Information Age, but some things are better learned in person.

Yeh mate but its 4hrs away from me. I'm in the country an hr from Bathurst.

Then what the f u c k are you doing at your computer, get a GTR and let it rip lol

I guess your going to have to try and learn the lifts some other way. If you cant find someone to teach you properly and cant find what your looking for on the net, I released a DVD for remote clients who have bought diets and programs off me called How we Roll. Its an instructional DVD that I sell for $20.

Do a search, you should be able to find what you want.

Oh to live near Bathurst lol

Then what the f u c k are you doing at your computer, get a GTR and let it rip lol

I guess your going to have to try and learn the lifts some other way. If you cant find someone to teach you properly and cant find what your looking for on the net, I released a DVD for remote clients who have bought diets and programs off me called How we Roll. Its an instructional DVD that I sell for $20.

Do a search, you should be able to find what you want.

Oh to live near Bathurst lol

Hey sorry bout the late reply been away.

i've let my V8 commo rip around there a few times already. Not real keen on going to the gym here as i've only ever heard bad reports of the trainers they have there not knowing what they are doing. Mite get on youtube and have a squiz like some have said. Mite see if the mrs will let me grab the dvd as well then. What do u charge for a program PTC?

Also can u recommend some cheap equipment that will b useful to me other then say dumbells, bar and a bench press. Was thinking of one of those chin up, dips stand things?

Last edited:
Yep, those stands will be beneficial to you mate. Chins and dips are good for building strength and mass. Otherwise DB, BB and Bench Press are a good start, a squat rack or stands would also come in pretty handy.

Sweet will look in2 getting a few of those things then. Room is limited as well.