• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Burley Hawk

I guess true strength would mean full ROM that your body allows and no lifting aids that can artificially increase the amount of weight the body can naturally lift.

But really, both modern Powerlifting and Bodybuilding have become a caricature of what they once were.

I'm not too clued on judging like you koala, but if the squat depth is judged by; top of the thigh parralel to the knee, then a person with much larger quad size ( circumference ) will need to squat much deeper as opposed to a lifter with skinnier thighs?

Would you agree with that?

If it is judged that the hip must be lower than the knee then the opposite will happen.

Because the lifter with laviathin legs will look like he is squatting shallow.

Have a look at bud Jeffries bottom up squat.

1000 pound squat - YouTube

It's the top of the thigh at the hip joint must be below the top of the knee joint (this could be by 1mm so it can be hard to judge), so theoretically thigh size should make no difference.

If anything a lifter with large quads will get passed on 50/50 calls more than someone like me cos his large legs create the illusion that his hips are lower than they actually are

*edit* just realised you pointed out the second part lol

Last edited:
I'm not too clued on judging like you koala, but if the squat depth is judged by; top of the thigh parralel to the knee, then a person with much larger quad size ( circumference ) will need to squat much deeper as opposed to a lifter with skinnier thighs?

Would you agree with that?

If it is judged that the hip must be lower than the knee then the opposite will happen.

Because the lifter with laviathin legs will look like he is squatting shallow.

Have a look at bud Jeffries bottom up squat.

1000 pound squat - YouTube

He's excited!

It's pretty easy to tell a REALLY high squat from the front, draw a line from the top of the knee to the hip in a still shot, and you should get a good idea.

Why don't they film from the side then? That might clairfy...
But I'm still convinced they're high.
[MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION];
I share your opinion on ROM, which is partly a reason for going back to conventional deadlifts for me over a year ago, and one of the reasons I've switched back to normal stance squatting just recently.

Why don't they film from the side then? That might clairfy...
But I'm still convinced they're high.
[MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION];
I share your opinion on ROM, which is partly a reason for going back to conventional deadlifts for me over a year ago, and one of the reasons I've switched back to normal stance squatting just recently.

Because they squat high and won't let them film from the side. Harder to tell from the front just how ridiculous it is.

Equipped lifting, why bother? brb entering a marathon in my car. It still counts right, i drove the car

Because they squat high and won't let them film from the side. Harder to tell from the front just how ridiculous it is.

Equipped lifting, why bother? brb entering a marathon in my car. It still counts right, i drove the car

Horses for courses, it's a totally different sport, nobody compares raw and equipped records.

Those who have done it, know it's more than chucking on some equipment and adding 100+kg to your raw total.

Horses for courses, it's a totally different sport, nobody compares raw and equipped records.

Those who have done it, know it's more than chucking on some equipment and adding 100+kg to your raw total.

The only reason anyone does it is so they can brag about their ridiculously inflated numbers to people that aren't aware of the difference.

The only reason anyone does it is so they can brag about their ridiculously inflated numbers to people that aren't aware of the difference.

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. Your input is greatly appreciated, please continue.

The debate about squat depth has nothing to do with being equipped, or camera angle, or stance width, and everything to do with the squat depth that federation has chosen to consider acceptable. If you think they are to depth, that's just the KoolAid talking.

You don't get debate about whether equipped lifters in the IPF like Olech or Konovalov or Carl Yngvar Christiensen squat to depth. I wonder why that is.

I can tell they are squatting to depth even when filmed from the front. Obviously the IPF is using a different lens filter or something.

350 kg in 75 class - Jaroslaw Olech's World record Squat - YouTube

Carl Yngvar Christensen 1140kg / 2513lbs total - 3.place World Games 2013 - YouTube

Andrey Konovalov Gold Medal at the World Games 2013 - YouTube

Not exactly sir. As said it a differnet aspect of the sport. I certainly don't compare my equipped bench to my raw bench or that of anybody else.

The debate about squat depth has nothing to do with being equipped, or camera angle, or stance width, and everything to do with the squat depth that federation has chosen to consider acceptable. If you think they are to depth, that's just the KoolAid talking.

You don't get debate about whether equipped lifters in the IPF like Olech or Konovalov or Carl Yngvar Christiensen squat to depth. I wonder why that is.

I can tell they are squatting to depth even when filmed from the front. Obviously the IPF is using a different lens filter or something.

IPF4LYF!!! :cool: