• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying a dip bar and reverse hyper thingy

CaT_SPeW

extra crispy
in 3 weeks i'll be turning my new garage into a gym of sorts and 2 pieces of equipment i would like is a dip bar and something to do reverse hypers on. i'd like them to be simple pieces of equipment dedicated to the one exercise but a combo type machine might be ok too. anyone have any recommendations of brands or setups for me to look at? any idea on what these would be worth?

I'd love to have dip bars at home but do not have the room right now..soon I will, very soon.

Do you really need a hyper station, just use a bar.

Do you really need a hyper station, just use a bar.

ive had some back problems in the past and would like to do reverse hypers as they seem to help. i dont really need one but i'd like one. how can i use a bar to do the same thing?

Essentially you are bending at the hips so load the bar as if you were going to squat and bend at the hips like a 'Good Morning'

go to old geelong road - there's a few warehouses that sell gear and there's also a workout world next to Harvey Norman. The prices are ok (not fantastic) and there is a decent amount of equipment to look at that should help give you an idea of what you want.

Laugh at Shrek, obviously doesnt know what REVERSE hypers are nor has he seen one lol.

David, a reverse hyper bench is massive and costs well over $1000, why do you reckon I havent got one.

James has one at his gym but its so big he cant get it inside, it sits in his garage. He payed over $2500 for it.

Louie Simmonds has a patent on them, as far as I know, not many people sell them, its why I use my regular hyperextension bench with a DB between the legs, PTC poverty style

I've noticed the Collingwood Football club has a stack of them, maybe we should go and pinch a couple lol

Gym Direct will have dip bars for sure

I use my regular hyperextension bench with a DB between the legs, PTC poverty style

yeah i was thinking of something more like yours but i didnt know that they can get so expensive and big. so if i want something like yours i would be looking for just a hyperextension bench not a reverse hyper bench?

Mine is not ideal, with a proper reverse hyper your legs go way underneath you, if your taller than Shorty your feet will hit the ground on mine, so the ROM is compromised.

I got mine over 10 years ago, before I had ever heard of a reverse hyper. Dont spend the money on one like mine hoping to do reverse hypers properly on it.

See if Gym Direct is interested in stocking them, I'm not sure if they currently do.

will do, thanks.

edit: just checked gym direct and they have dip attachments for power racks so i'll just grab one of those i think.

Last edited:
Hyjak,

I've had a look around at a lot of dipping stations. A lot arn't very well built - usually they're a straight bar with a very small handle attached and a poor weight capacity. Unless you're looking at getting one welded up yourself I'd probs give them the skip.

rocksolidfitness and toronto barbell are the only places that produce reverse hypers as far as I'm aware, however they're very expensive (1K+). According to the gyms on powerlifting.com.au they're nothing more than something to lean on anyway.

IMO - if you need anything more advanced than a heavy duty power rack, an olympic weights set and a flat bench than you've probably gone further than the distance a home gym could ever take you.

Last edited:
You can make a dipping bar out of gal pipe and two pieces of wood all bought from bunnings for twenty bucks.
It fits nicely into your power rack (on the supports)
I'd post a pic but for the life of me I'm unable to figure out yet to attach pictures.
I can send an email to anyone interested.
Two poles cut 1460mm screwed to two planks measuring 700x90x50
the distance between the poles you can set to your comfort usually it's between 500~600 depending on you shoulder width.

If your getting yourself a power rack, just do dips in them, thats how i do mine, works a treat. Set the safety's each side the height you want and a bar across each.