• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying Cloths

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
Don't want to sound like a wanker, but I am starting to get too big to buy cloths I think!

Went shopping today to buy jeans, winter PJ's and some t shirts. Came home with no jeans, as they would not go over my legs, and the ones that did were way too big on the waist, and I still need to lose some gut fat before I will be happy.

Bought 4xl PJ's, and they only had one pair and they are the biggest available.

T shits were all too tight around the chest, arms and shoulders, unless you buy huge ones.

I am only 186cm and about 116kg, with a bit of a gut, but not huge by any means.

How do big (bigger than me) guys buy basic cloths, as I do not consider myself to be very big by body building standards.

I'm not even big at all, and I have the same problem, especially with t shirts, but just buy them to fit across shoulders and arms, then take them to a little Asian alteration lady, and get her to taper the waist, it should only be $10 or so..
As for jeans, where are u shopping for "cloths"?
They have millions of different fits, just try somewhere else, myer?

Only time I ever had trouble buying clothes was when I was to fat.

I doubt very many lean natural BBs really have any serious issues buying clothes.

I have had the same issue many many time for pants, they would either fit around the legs but be massive around the waist or they would barely fit over the legs and be OK in the waist. Soon I haven't nought jeans in over 15yrs, not that I usually wear them anyways as I prefer shorts all year round, if you don't specifically want jeans but oants try some surf brands or cargo type pants I find these for much better and are more comfortable anyways, if you have to go jeans many try Gasp jeans or look for jeans in a loose fit style, as for t-shirts just keep looking there are millions of different ones out there you will find something...

Oh and PJ's, well I wouldn't know.........I don't wear any:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Don't want to sound like a wanker, but I am starting to get too big to buy cloths I think!

Went shopping today to buy jeans, winter PJ's and some t shirts. Came home with no jeans, as they would not go over my legs, and the ones that did were way too big on the waist, and I still need to lose some gut fat before I will be happy.

Bought 4xl PJ's, and they only had one pair and they are the biggest available.

T shits were all too tight around the chest, arms and shoulders, unless you buy huge ones.

I am only 186cm and about 116kg, with a bit of a gut, but not huge by any means.

How do big (bigger than me) guys buy basic cloths, as I do not consider myself to be very big by body building standards.

1> Don't try and wear rags... now wonder you cant fit them bro :rolleyes:

2> Who wears pj's? ... sleep freely brutha... let em hang :)

3> Don't be modest bro, you're probly a unit looking at the stats... I can relate (although not as big as you) - trouble I find is when you find clothes you actually wanna buy, the 'XL' sizes are all for euro trash (i.e. male versions of catwalk models)

Only time I ever had trouble buying clothes was when I was to fat.

I doubt very many lean natural BBs really have any serious issues buying clothes.

Well, I am probably the leanest I have been in about 10-15 years and it's the first time I have struck this problem, if i was fat I would be able to buy the big jeans that fit over my legs and that would then also fit my waist as well.

The only jeans that would fit me were huge in the waist, as they are made for fat people, so your statement seem every strange as most fat people do not have a problem getting fat clothes.

Same with t shirts, being fat just buy the huge ones and they will be fine, but at the moment getting the ones that do not pull up tight around the arms and chest flap around huge at my waist and look silly.

Needy I am the same, I wear shorts all year around and probably 80% of the time, and I do also wear cargos a lot, they seem to be a better fit. Very rarely wear jeans, but I do wear them for going out which is not very often to be honest. In the Gold Coast at the moment on holidays so wanted some jeans for going out.

Re the Asian lady, great idea when living in Sydney or another capital, unfortunatly where I am at the moment no Asian ladies doing alterations, but yes that's a great idea, as I used to get my work pants (supplied by work, not bought by me) modified at the Asian Taylor down the road when i was in Sydney and she charged about $8-12 per pair of pants.

PS always were PJ's , love them, too cold not to wear them in winter, I never use a heater at night as I can not sleep with the fake heat, makes me feel like I am chocking and i seem to get a bocked nose with the heater going, actually 99% of the time I sleep with the window open at night, so much better for me.

Last edited:
People like to kid themselves that they are all muscle and to big for normal people clothes. When i had trouble getting jeans I was 113kg at 6'2 and thought it was just muscle and i was to big. In reality I was just to fat and even then managed to find size 36 jeans that fit.

Now at 105kg and lean enough to still have abs I am wearing normal 32 or 34 jeans.

Normal fat people don't have as many troubles because most blokes just get a fat gut with no legs or arse. Fat blokes that lift have the muscle from the squatters arse and legs add some fat on top of that and you struggle to get pants that fit your fat arse.

PS always were PJ's , love them, too cold not to wear them in winter, I never use a heater at night as I can not sleep with the fake heat, makes me feel like I am chocking and i seem to get a bocked nose with the heater going, actually 99% of the time I sleep with the window open at night, so much better for me.

Yeah same, here with sleeping with the heater on, i get big head colds and blocked noses when doing so, i just make sure i have nice good quality doona for sleeping in winter.

People like to kid themselves that they are all muscle and to big for normal people clothes. When i had trouble getting jeans I was 113kg at 6'2 and thought it was just muscle and i was to big. In reality I was just to fat and even then managed to find size 36 jeans that fit.

Now at 105kg and lean enough to still have abs I am wearing normal 32 or 34 jeans.

Normal fat people don't have as many troubles because most blokes just get a fat gut with no legs or arse. Fat blokes that lift have the muscle from the squatters arse and legs add some fat on top of that and you struggle to get pants that fit your fat arse.

It's definitely hard!

You have to think of everything happening south of your waist, quads, hams, glutes, hips gut etc.. When I start moving heavier weights my ass turns into beyonce and my quads balloons. Subsequently I buy a size 40 trouser to fit a 38" waist.

When I cut down though I can easily fit everything into a 36 or less, as I carry most of my fat on my ass and outer quads.

I have two pairs of Blend jeans, about 6 years old now but very stretchy. Kathmandu also make some awesome cargo pants that stretch but look good for formal occasions.

Work pants I buy from target, their size 40's allow for large legs, only brand I have found to do this and not turn you into a penguin with a weird crotch stitching.

jeans are my only issue really. My solution was to just keep wearing the ones I've had since I was fatter.

I did try when I was in Melbourne last as I figured they would have more options. They had 2 pairs which even remotely fitted but still very uncomfortable. Some pairs got stuck on my calves, WTF?! 24" quads and 32" waist apparently is not normal. (and I thought my quads need to grow!)

Calfs is another one I have struck. But not really an issue. It's mainly waist and quads for me.

I wear a size 96 to 98 pants usually, but had 102 yesterday which was tight on my legs and the waist was ridiculous baggy. And I still have some gut to lose....

Maybe the guys struggling to get pants could look at some womens jeans for women with a big arse and thunder thighs

Fitted dress shirts are the worst. Unless its like half spandex/stretchy material I dont bother trying them on. Dress shirts have zero room for a back or shoulders.

Shirt shopping is a little painful - I tend to fit a 17" in the neck but a 16.5" in the body.

At $300 a pop M2M is a little expensive.

When I was 52kg I struggled to find clothes that fit properly at size 6 that wasnt in the kids section of Big W. Had to resort to the tweeny shops like Supre and Ally.

jeans are my only issue really. My solution was to just keep wearing the ones I've had since I was fatter.

I did try when I was in Melbourne last as I figured they would have more options. They had 2 pairs which even remotely fitted but still very uncomfortable. Some pairs got stuck on my calves, WTF?! 24" quads and 32" waist apparently is not normal. (and I thought my quads need to grow!)

im not even remotely big, im probs about similar proportions to you and i struggled to find nice jeans, everything available is skinny leg bullshit. my current jeans which fit me not so long ago are very tight on my quads, i can put anything in my pockets at all. i hat to see what will be available when i get them to the size i want lol