• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying home equipment

baloney1

Hi guy's,

I've been thinking about paying off some equipment to use at home as aposed to my current gym membership. Firstly i understand the gym offers more equipment, however i typically only use basic and fundamental equipment when i go there, such as bench press, dips, chin ups, dunbells ect.

I had a look around at Amart, Rebel, and Sport Scene, and all the equipment they had there was very flimsy, and wasn't rated to much load capacity.

At the moment i think i'd be happy with -
Bench press
Dip / chin up stand
Dunbells

The dunbells of course are easy enough, it's the other 2 i'm having trouble finding. Ideally i'd like to spend about $1500 to start out and cover the above.

So far bench wise i've only come across
Bodyworx Olympic Weight Bench
F-FOB Force USA Fixed Olympic Bench Press Summit Fitness Equipment -
TREADMILL WAREHOUSE - Exercise Fitness BODYWORX - BODYWORX C520OSB STANDARD AND OLYMPIC - Benches
http://www.worldfitness.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=2_33&products_id=346

Can anyone comment on the above 3? Are they well built and solid, or must i spend more? Is there a sort of go to standard bench that's always reccomended at given price points?

Also can anyone point out a dip / chin up rack where both sides face forwards, as my space is limited i'd like something that can go up against the wall.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Ok so i'm now considering getting a rack instead, all though the space around it will be pretty tight.

From what i've read the Powertec racks are good from Sams Fitness, has anyone tried out the HD4 rack from Cyber Market - LC2 Power Rack Light Commercial | LC2 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

The rack on the description sounds might it be more solid than the Powertec, however the Lat pull down system on the Powertec one seems better built, judging on the price difference between the 2 systems, HL High + low cable system | HL | Cyberfit Gym Equipment vs Powertec Lat Tower Option.

Are you planning on benching inside the rack?

And seriously, how much are you going to use the lat pulldown thingy?

Are you planning on benching inside the rack?

And seriously, how much are you going to use the lat pulldown thingy?

Hi Riddles, yeah i plan to bench inside the rack. But at the same time i really would like to keep the bench separate as i find it a pain moving a bench in and out at the gym and getting it lined up in the right spot in the cage.

So it's really going to come down to space, im going to outline in my room the size of each piece.

Also the lat pull down, well i have a pretty weak back, and i must be careful on back day. Lat pull downs have been one of the main excersises at i can do without putting too much stress on my back. So i reckon it would get a good amount of use.

I also want to cover as many area's as possible, so i don't feel as though i've limited myself by workout out at home as aposed to the gym.

Ok so after measuring up the room, a rack will be really tight (especially doing pull ups i don't reckon i could extend above the rack without whacking my head on the roof !!)

So i've decided to use the garage instead, pros and cons are space vs heat, though i have a few months before it get's too hot in there i can look at getting an air con installed.

This means my equipment list has changed, and working on a budget of about $2500 i have come up with this - The idea behind the equipment is being able to target as many area's as possible but still buying what looks like reasonably built equipment.

Rack - LC2 +HL Power Rack + Hi Lo Pulley | LC2H | Cyberfit Gym Equipment rack reviews well but can't find much info on the pulley system. Alternative would be something like the separate MM lat pull down which is about $500, if it was worth the extra then i'd probably go the MM power rack and try to bundle as much stuff at once and get a discount, as the rest of equipment comes from Gym direct.

Hyper Extension - Body Solid Hyperextension Commercial From what i've read the Body Solid stuff is decent, and my back is something i want to be able to work on in as many area's as possible without putting loads of strain on it, i use the Hyper at the gym and enjoy it.
Bench Press - Olympic Bench Press Looks like a no no nonsense bench, possibly a little narrow on the bench, would be willing to go up a couple of hundred more providing i'm getting a considerably better bench press. Again i really want to keep the bench press separate from the power rack.
Flat bench http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/Flat-Bench-_FBEV/99.htm For lat pull downs are various other things. At that price if i turns out to be any good i might get a second one incase other people come around i've been told it's always good to have another bench laying around.
Preacher - http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/Preacher-Curl-Bench_Adjustable_Silver/920.htm One of the few i've seen with full height adjustment , the one at my gym the support racks mean you have to lean right over, it's difficult getting into position and re-racking the bar after the last rep. My friend said i don't need a preacher, though we often use it at the gym, so 50/50 on this one at the moment.

Other than that a good 7ft bar, some 12.5 and 15kg dumbells (i currently use 12's for most workouts, so the 12.5's will suit well and the 15's i can work on some low rep sets) As for weights i'm probably going to skimp in this area a bit ( i know the most important part i hear you saying) but i'm just going to shift the weights around for the time being until i buy some more at a later date.

I was thinking 2 x 20, 2 x 10, 2 x 5, 2 x 2.25, 2 x 1.25. That would cover me for my current bench and squat efforts no worries and still gives me plenty of variation.

Can anyone add / take anything out of this setup, or give any opinion on the equipment be it good or bad if they've used it / own it.

Last edited:
The pulley system in the cyber rack isn't the best out there but it's reasonably priced and good compared to others at that price.
Needs a good grease otherwise the rubber stoppers stick to the

Last edited:
Yeah the lat pull down seems to be a bit of a compromise. How about the rest of the equipment, being in Cairns i can't inspect any of it, and the last thing i want to to be dissapointed in the build quality when it all arrives.

I seen you posted in your original post something about Force usa, what ever ya do dont buy that crap its the worst quality you can feel how bad it is in the shops. If you want a quality bb i would go the ABC power bar yes alot of money but you will never have to replace (like i had to replace my cheap one after it turned into a banana). With gym equipment you really get what you pay for. You are much better of having less to begin with and buy a few quality items. Theres really not much you cant do with a quality rack with cross overs and a nice bb and bench. Also you should consider rubber flooring so you dont rip up the cement in your garage floor lol This can add up quick aswell.

As for the rack and other bits it’s great for the price very sturdy and well built.

I’m really picky and was a bit grumpy about some stuff, like scratches etc., but it happens in transit.

Dip bar is a little uncomfortable for me but it’s probably just me..

The pins are strong back as someone mentioned in another post, the bracket holding it against the rack is loose….. But again probably just me being picky

I have the ForceUSA commercial flat bench and it's very solid, and suitable for competitive powerlifters as wide, not soft, and good height ( 1cm above competition bench height ).