• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calcium

Shank

Hi guys,

I am about to start taking calcium supplements as i am lactose intolerant and soy milk just doesn't go down well with me.

I have a question as to how many mg of calcium i would need a day while training and also is it supposed to be taken with vit D?

I am also taking fish oil, just ordered blackmores brain, standard multi v and protein.

Cheers

I have, and didn't exactly like that either, not that it effected my system but it was fairly sweet, so if avoidable then that would be the path i would take.

So it could be fair to say it isnt the lactose then?

You might have an intolerence to the actual protein be it whey or casein itself.

hmm possible? i take WPC no issues there.

So what do you suggest?

You have tried lactose free... Yet this doesnt bother you..

You take WPC this doesnt bother you. WPC contains lactose It contains no casein.

Therefore from process of elimination it would appear casein is your problem.

Ok, so now in terms of supplementation, eg calcium tables if i were to go that way how many mg of calcium is required per day and is it required to take Vit D with it?

I would much rather see you exhaust all avenues available to you before resorting to calcium supplementation.

There are plenty of foods out there that have a great amount of calcium. Calcium is only one player in a whole and most powerful symphony we call minerals. Isolating it from the rest of the team and mixing vitamin D with it is not the answer. I’m not against mineral supplementation but like I said, I would much rather see you look at food first, and milk is not all that food has to offer in the way of calcium. You’ve made mention of vitamin D and that is good, however another very important player here (if we wish for the calcium to be deposited in to our bones and not our arteries) is little known vitamin K. Please do your research on vitamin K to find out for yourself the importance of this vitamin.

Sardines or any other canned fish (such as salmon) are great for calcium as well as omega 3 fatty acids. Almonds are an extremely powerful storehouse of minerals such as calcium as well as magnesium. Parsley has more calcium than milk and is extremely alkaline on the body, which is another point you should consider when it comes to calcium absorption as well as loss.

Just few points for you to consider instead of simply giving you a direct answer to your question.

Sardines (canned)….550mg/100g
Salmon (canned)…100mg/100g
Almonds…250mg/100g
Parsley…260mg/100g
Dried Figs…200mg/100g
Medium orange…50mg
Tahini (sesame seed paste)… 130mg/2 tablespoons

And the list goes on…

Fadi.

thanks fadi, i already eat a handful of almonds, i do have tinned tuna does that also have calcium in it?

Edit:
Sorry just re read your post, a quick google search for a standard 95g tuna tin showed only 3.8mg of calcium in it, not much compared to salmon?

Last edited: