• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calves

TrentZor

So what's your verdict on getting calves to grow. I see alot of posts on major muscles but what's the go on this somewhat stubborn muscle

Some say higher reps vs lower reps
Do u rest pause or just rep it out?
Toes in or straight?

Also I want to hear personal advices not stuff u guys googles to have worked :)

Posted via Mobile Device

My mates got massive calves from cycling and playing basketball maybe an indication of high reps? He's never done any calf raises to focus primarily on this
Muscle
Posted via Mobile Device

When I did train calves (before dave corrected me) I focused on high rep stuff. Round the 10 mark with a heavy weight. I had a noticeable difference from doing that. Gotta really feel the burn in that muscle I think. And stretch it out after otherwise you'll be walking round sore for a couple days.

Firstly, we know it's impossible to change the shape of a muscle through exercise.

The muscles of the lower extremities compared to the upper torso respond differently to exercise.

If we use a barbell curl and hold it in mid range, your useable strength will be depleted quite quickly, with a calf raise in the same position and with a considerably amount of weight you could hold that position for quite some, much longer than you could with the curl in the mid range position.

Using this analogy, it stands to reason that the lower extremities require higher rep ranges compared to the upper body.

Using a weight that you could do 10, perform 20, 40! Or even 50! These muscle would respond, one set to fatigue would be enough, but having said that.

John mc Cullum wrote; Back exercises, like squats, have a growing effect on the rest of your body....
So, I say;
When one muscle grows in response to exercise, the entire muscular structure of the body grows to a lesser degree...the larger the muscle...the greater the indirect effect.

Last edited:
A longer muscle with shorter tendons will always look bigger, not necessarily stronger.
Posted via Mobile Device

Check out the size of obese peoples calves ceffo, walking while weighing 150kg tends to do the trick.

I think the answer is that everyone needs to find what works for them.

Even Lee Priest who loves reps in the 6-8 range perfroms 50-100 for calves!

Others love high weight, low rep even for calves like Dorian did.

Just go for the full range of motion as you can bob up and down all day without really truly fatiguing your calves!

I've always done high reps but that's a good analogy on the obese persons. Yet I do believe most of that is Judy fat not actual functional muscle??
Posted via Mobile Device

my legs and calves were always larger than average, they grew amazingly large after squatting heavy over a long period of time. i think its just genetics for me, it's not like i trained calves everyday or anything... (asians tend to have large calves, if you haven't noticed)

as a kid i enjoyed swimming, sprinting and basketball, not sure if theres any correlation though.

Check out the size of obese peoples calves ceffo, walking while weighing 150kg tends to do the trick.

I was 150kg and i have big calves (well i think so anyway) so that sounds right lol.

Find some hot chicks to sit on your back and do Donkey Calf Raises Ceffo :D

donkeycalfraisesshemusc.jpg

My monitor at work is heaps dark. Is that even 2 chicks :eek:

Last edited:
Ok I'll give ya that one buddy rofl. That pic looks like 2 guys on each other or that's a geared chick!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Totally agree.

When I was cycling 250+ km a week, some of the other guys in the same group, doing exactly the same distance, had massive calves.

When I was 9 my mum bought me red frogs from the canteen.