• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can anyone help me with Starting Strength?

kindred

This seems to be my current max lifts for 3x5 working sets. Its really light and I havent been on SS for long. Should I reset or start micro loading?Because I havent been on SS for long it seems like it might be too early for micro loading, but im no expert. If anyone who has done the program can give me some advice that would be awsome, thanks.

Squats 75kg
Bench 85kg
Press 60kg
Deadlifts 105kg
Rows 70kg

My aim is this before I stop doing SS:

Squats 150+kg
Bench 120+kg
Press 70+kg
Deadlifts 150+kg
Rows 80+kg

I dont know if thats realistic but other trainees have achieved it on SS.

When starting out, what were your beginning bench numbers?

I haven’t been doing starting strength long myself but always find bizarre differences between myself and others (which I guess there should be since were all different, just others seem to have similar weights across their range of lifts).

The situation I find myself in is when I'm benching I'm pushing 35kg and honestly just getting my last set out (while keeping form, if I drop form I can push more, but that’s a no no!), doing this micro loading is about the only thing I can do each week to increase the weight. Yet squats I'm upto 85kg and seem to be able to add 5kg or so most sessions.

Just to clarify, your other lifts are quite similar in weight to mine. Just my bench is leagues behind yours.

Last edited:
I did a lot of bench press before Starting Strength but little if any squats and deads. How long did it take you to get to 85kg squats? Im stuck at 75kg at the moment, and dont see myself increasing anytime soon.

Updated stats:

Squats 75kg
Bench 85kg
Press 55kg <-- I got weaker somehow ZOMG
Deadlifts Nil <-- <insert unhappy face here>
Rows 70kg

Looking at your numbers, it's not that light. I guess you've been on the program 6 - 8 weeks by now at least and normally the press is first thing people stall on. Depending on how much you have been loading each w/o and what you started on, actually determine how quickly you will stall on each lift.

If the squat or DL is stalling, ie. you missed the last rep or 2 eg. (5-5-3) or (5-4-4), then attempt the lift for another 2 w/o's. You will either succeed, or you will not progress or perhaps even fail further. Now it's time for a deload. So remove approximately 25% of weight and commence the building of weight by say 5 - 10KG for a few w/o's till you fail a rep or 2 again. Then increase weight by 10Kg's once or twice only. Then 5 kg's per w/o until you miss again, then 3...1kg until you stall and require another reset/deload. A reset is a more significant reduction of weight vs a deload.

Can you send vid for you squat form?

Using this method, you should be able to keep increasing the weight over time and past you previous stall point. Once you reach around 1.5 x BW, then your ready for the intermediate program. Also check out 5 x 5.

Looking at your numbers, it's not that light. I guess you've been on the program 6 - 8 weeks by now at least and normally the press is first thing people stall on. Depending on how much you have been loading each w/o and what you started on, actually determine how quickly you will stall on each lift.

If the squat or DL is stalling, ie. you missed the last rep or 2 eg. (5-5-3) or (5-4-4), then attempt the lift for another 2 w/o's. You will either succeed, or you will not progress or perhaps even fail further. Now it's time for a deload. So remove approximately 25% of weight and commence the building of weight by say 5 - 10KG for a few w/o's till you fail a rep or 2 again. Then increase weight by 10Kg's once or twice only. Then 5 kg's per w/o until you miss again, then 3...1kg until you stall and require another reset/deload. A reset is a more significant reduction of weight vs a deload.

Can you send vid for you squat form?

Using this method, you should be able to keep increasing the weight over time and past you previous stall point. Once you reach around 1.5 x BW, then your ready for the intermediate program. Also check out 5 x 5.

Thanks for the info I will be sure to put it to good use. I have a video of my squat form but I cant get it to rotate so it looks like im squating at a 90degree angle of a wall spiderman style.

I did a lot of bench press before Starting Strength but little if any squats and deads. How long did it take you to get to 85kg squats? Im stuck at 75kg at the moment, and dont see myself increasing anytime soon.

i started about 2 months ago with just the bar and i thought that almost killed me! :eek:

This seems to be my current max lifts for 3x5 working sets. Its really light and I havent been on SS for long. Should I reset or start micro loading?Because I havent been on SS for long it seems like it might be too early for micro loading, but im no expert. If anyone who has done the program can give me some advice that would be awsome, thanks.

Squats 75kg
Bench 85kg
Press 60kg
Deadlifts 105kg
Rows 70kg

What i suggest is do partial workout! Works a beauty! Set up on the power rack with on 6 -8 inches of movement pack on the weight i guanrantee yah in 2-3 weeks u would of gained heaps of strengh.
good luck!