• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Can this really be happening!

uppon2

Hey, Matt here :) I have been doing a the PTC beginners program but as a 3x5 for the last 6 weeks and started getting stronger and more confident with my lifts. I decided to do a form check just to make sure I was on the right track. I decided to re-watch the Rippetoes videos on Deads, Bench, OHP and Squats. I notice that since watching these videos my form has drifted away from what I initially learned from the videos.

I will tell you now that when I first started doing these exercises and following Rippetoes videos "perfectly" with precise form according to him; I noticed that I would get an incredibly sore back and forearm muscle/tendon area just near the front of my elbow during and after my workouts. These pains continued until eventually my form kind of changed to a more natural feeling form for my t-rex arms and long torso. I didn't even realise my form was changing as I was just doing it on autopilot/subconsciously from doing the same movements for 100+ times.

Tonight I watched all of his videos again and realised my form was similar to his method but still not close to being perfect to what he says. I decided to try and be stricter on my form to better suit what I had just watched. I struggled to lift the same amount of weight I was doing previously so I decided to drop about 10kg on each exercise and try again. This worked fine but I noticed immediately that my lower back was in pain again and so was my forearm elbow area mainly on the left arm.

Is this a matter of analysis paralysis and thinking too much about what might be right for him but not right for me? Do I need to start over and hopefully the pain goes away? I have never had ANY pain until I decided to fix my form to make it "perfect" again. I am not rolling my back or shoulders on deads or squats but I do seem to pull the bar off the ground for deads with more of a quad assistance until it's at my knees than I think he demonstrates but my back is still getting at least 70% of the tension.

I have linked a video I hope someone can check out that has really helped me get rid of my painful back and I am not sure if it is uneducated or if it is a genuine source but I can tell you this much. I am not sore when doing it and now I am after going back to rip!

Shall I keep doing what hurts less now? Or will that eventually lead to an injury later on? I felt like giving up tonight and skipping the rest of my session because I was being so critical on myself because I have developed a completely different style than what I learned originally. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

? How to Deadlift the Proper Way ? Without Wrecking Your Back - YouTube

It's most likely muscle knotting or some tendinitis
Do what hurts less, you can always drop the weight and do more sets instead

It's most likely muscle knotting or some tendinitis
Do what hurts less, you can always drop the weight and do more sets instead

That's the thing 0ni. I can do more weight and more reps with the youtube technique with absolutely no pain! Does that guy know what he is talking about or is he doing a bitch version of the dead?

use whatever allows you to move the most weight while staying healthy

I guess if I start to hurt later on down the track when my lifts increase I will evaluate it then. I was going fine until I tried to perfect my form back to what I thought was expected

That's the thing 0ni. I can do more weight and more reps with the youtube technique with absolutely no pain! Does that guy know what he is talking about or is he doing a bitch version of the dead?

The guy in the video is James Smith, he definitely knows what he's talking about. If you are trying to mimic the form from a Rippetoe vid then there could be problems because it might not be the best form FOR YOU.

Oni is right, do what hurts less even if a guru says otherwise.

Agree with the others. Spent a lot if time trying to perfect form to videos and what not, don't bother. Everyone's different in proportions etc so what might work for one might not feel comfortable for another. As long as you've got the fundamentals down then you should be sweet. If you aren't feeling comfortable throw up a video, tonnes of knowledgeable people on here that'll help you out.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

The guy in the video is James Smith, he definitely knows what he's talking about. If you are trying to mimic the form from a Rippetoe vid then there could be problems because it might not be the best form FOR YOU.

Oni is right, do what hurts less even if a guru says otherwise.

Agree with the others. Spent a lot if time trying to perfect form to videos and what not, don't bother. Everyone's different in proportions etc so what might work for one might not feel comfortable for another. As long as you've got the fundamentals down then you should be sweet. If you aren't feeling comfortable throw up a video, tonnes of knowledgeable people on here that'll help you out.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

Do whatever causes no pain.

Thanks lads. I think I will post a vid up of all my lifts :)

You're body will tell you what stance/position/setup is more natural once you have practised enough to understand the mechanics of movement. Its a constant fine tuning process which goes hand in hand with experience.