• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

can't train.. how to eat to stay lean?

BoyFromAus

Hey guys,

It's been ages aint it. I recently had a pretty bad accident... I fell from a tree branch, 10 metres high... glad to be alive and walking, but I suffered serious neck and spine injuries. I wont be able to train for 12 months....

My physio has just advised me on how to heal asap. All he said was a lot of R & R is needed. Any weights or stress on the back will delay the time for the bones to fuse.

....anyway....

My trouble now is, I need to know how to eat to preserve as much muscle as possible, while not getting fat.. granted i can't lift weights or even do light exercise for now (yep, a pretty fucked up situation).

height 5'9
weight: 74kg
bf%: 13%
Activity level: very low...

Is there any diet I can follow for damage control. Also any supplements I can take to minimize atrophy?

Cheers,

Just eat maintenance calories or slightly above to allow yourself to recover.

Get in a min 2g/kg protein and 0.8g/kg fat.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Just eat maintenance calories or slightly above to allow yourself to recover.

Get in a min 2g/kg protein and 0.8g/kg fat.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Perfik.

You'll be be back under the iron in no time by the sounds of you.

Boyfromaus, I was recently in the same situation. Only advice I can give is to eat approx maintence and get plenty of protein. Monitor cals as your maint lvl will change due to not training.

You (and I) will be back under the bar in no time, muscle memory will kick in I promise.

Sorry to hear of your injury BFA! :(

Allow yourself to mend, do what Bazza says eating wise and just know, the body is a beautiful living thing and in time, you will be back to it, as if you'd never left.

Take good care of yourself :)

I've just been away from lifting for 8 months. Bad wrist break and it will never be the same, the bones would stay in place and were crushed, so now they are shorter.

Anyway, what others have said, eat maintenance and monitor your weight and fat levels. I just got some cheap skin fold callipers of eBay to make sure i'm not stacking up too much weight around my waist.

I've been training for a month now and muscle memory is kicking in a big way. In a month of training I've put on 5kg of muscle and I've lost about 8-10kg. I'm pretty sure a lot of it is water weight, but it's good to feel bigger and stronger again.