• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cardio While bulking?

Shank

Hey guys,

Back to posting again lol. Sorry about the numerous threads but i have searched this on google and come to alot of different conclusions.

So here it is, i am bulking 3 days during the week on weights. Wanted to know if say i did a cardio day on sunday or saturday of HIIT or regular cardio, would there be any benefit, would it help to slow down fat gain or anything of that nature?

Cheers

The only way you would slow down fat gain with more exercise is if you are eating too much. Control your food and you will control fat gain. If you want to eat a bit more then yeah you can throw in some extra HIIT but it is easier just to eat 100 calories less a day than do 2-3 HIIT sessions a week.

hmm true thanks bud. However, in terms of health wise wouldn't it be better to do some cardio in terms of health. I just thought cardio was good for you and not jsut bulking, i do feel like a slug when i dont do cardio.

I don't think you know what you are after unless I have read your post wrong.

How are you only bulking 3 days a week with weights?

What are you doing those other days? What is your diet?
Posted via Mobile Device

yeh, do your cardio if you want. it wont make that much of a difference as long as you factor it in to your daily calculations.

also if it makes you feel better, helps get through workouts, relieves boredom, makes you feel good, then all those positives out way having to eat a few more calories or possibly losing .1g of muscle gains.

Sprints are good (or barbell complexes or anything that is short and hard with a rest break). Cardiovascular fitness will be increased as well as you anaerobic capacity which would in turn help your lifting. Just do not over do it and as Haz said factor it into your eating. Too much cardio will interfere with your recover too don't forget.

If you want to build size you have to eat more than you need full stop, if you add cardio work then you need to eat more to cover that cost. Your real problem here is diet, eating enough calories to put on mass but limit fat gain. You can increase your fitness levels if that is important to you but it will not do much for fat gain.

Ok thanks, yea i think i am eating way more cals then i need, i can feel the fat gain, but also have some decent muscle gain aswell which i am happy with. Just feel the gut getting jiggly haha.

Ok thanks, yea i think i am eating way more cals then i need, i can feel the fat gain, but also have some decent muscle gain aswell which i am happy with. Just feel the gut getting jiggly haha.

If you are gaining too much fat too quickly adjust your calories by 250, wait 2 weeks readjust or keep the same. You don't want to put on too much fat while you bulk up.

Cardio is the enemy of musclemass, because a lighter body is more energy efficient.

Conditioning is different.

The best kind of conditioning is prowler and sledwork, along with kettlebell work.

Hey guys,

Back to posting again lol. Sorry about the numerous threads but i have searched this on google and come to alot of different conclusions.

So here it is, i am bulking 3 days during the week on weights. Wanted to know if say i did a cardio day on sunday or saturday of HIIT or regular cardio, would there be any benefit, would it help to slow down fat gain or anything of that nature?

Cheers

Okay, read this then we'll get into some discussions if need be: Cardio and Weights

Fadi.

Any training session done with high intensity will only burn 500 calories.

Your not going to get ripped doing cardio.

Everyone wants everything yesterday. Spend some time under the bar building some muscle and strength.

It took your whole life to get weak and fat, take your time getting strong and lean.

We have to.

Any training session done with high intensity will only burn 500 calories.

Your not going to get ripped doing cardio.

Everyone wants everything yesterday. Spend some time under the bar building some muscle and strength.

It took your whole life to get weak and fat, take your time getting strong and lean.

We have to.

bewdiful.
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks for the words of wisdom guys.

I have another question though if i do reduce my cal intake, by say 250 will i still gain the mass, or if its too low can ieven loose some mass?

So say if i am takin in 3600 or there abouts and i drop to 3451, if its still above maintanence but only slightly will i gain much slower?

If it is under maintanence will i lose, vice versa?

No one knows what your actually maintenance is unless you go to an exercise physiology lab and pay to have your BMR calculated and subsequently you doing all your exercises and walking etc and then you accurately record it each day etc etc. For all you know your maintenance levels could be 250 to 500 calories lower than what is predicted.

You will gain slower with less calories but if you gain less fat it is means less dieting later which means ultimately more muscle mass in the end. If you get real big muscularly but also get lots of fat it is going to be worse for you in the long run.

So you train for 2 to 4 weeks at and eat at the estimated level and then work out from there if you are in the ballpark. If you put on 4 kgs of weight and you look noticeably pudgier than you are overshooting your calorie levels and should drop it by 250. You then retest and see how you go over the next month. Even if you drop 200 calories below your maintenance without realizing it you will be fine in one month you may lose 1 to 2kg and most of it will be fat. You then just readjust back up for the next month.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ive never had a problem gaining weight and doing wot you call "cardio" . For me thats the question wots cardio??
Is it any kind of working out that doesnt involve lifting heavy weights?

I was 64kg 3 years ago i boxed , ive put on 21kg of muscle, body fats @ 11% . I gained most of my size from eating non processed foods and lifting heavy (for me) doing only compound moves fullbody workouts 3 times a week.

But i also did circiuts with my boxing gym 3 times aweek, pull ups, pressups, burpes,sprints,jumping rope and so on first thing in the morning.

Now im not saying wot worked for me will work for you,but i love getting exhausted and circuits make me feel good,could i have gained 20KG in two years if i didnt do "CARDIO" ??? maybe

If you feel bad not doing cardio, do it. Make lifestyle changes.

One of the biggest cop-outs i here is "I CANT COME TO TRAIN TONIGHT IM SORE, I DONT WANT TO OVERTRAIN"
I dont think you can overtrain , just under eat and recover.
Get your calories right shank.

Cardio used as a means of weight control is specious at best.
Cardio benefits the the respiratory and circulatory system, you don't need much.
Walking and jogging is not cardio.
A *very* intense weight training template can improve metabolic conditioning.
Posted via Mobile Device

well said silverback.

My point was i feel overtraining is used as a excuse , if you eat enough of the right foods and recover enough you can workout more ie "cardio" or lifting.
So could you reverse that if shank is gaining to much fat while bulking most would say drop calories , which is right but whats wrong with increaseing your workouts?
Add another weights session , do your cardio.?
Cardio could be hill sprints , circiuts or even fadis 200 burpees, all types of exercise has benefits, im most happy when im active

The term cardio should be dropped...

Exercise is either anaerobic or aerobic.. Both work on the cardiovascular.