• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Change Of Workout?

S

sneaky1

Hey All, would like yoour advice, Im 43 and my sons 17, we have been training together for about 8 months and have seen good gains in both size and strength(not massive but good). We have been doimg 3 days a week on a 2 day split, chest/shoulders/tris, legs/back/bi's, which on average is 1.5 days a week ovver a fortnight. I was talking to one of the bigger guys at the gym the other day and he was saying 3 bodyparts a night were probably too many as your body has to send its blood all over the place in the one night, rather than really concentrate on a couple of muscle groups, he said really hitting 2 would be better. So I was thinking of switching our workout to chest/tris, back/bi's, shoulders/legs and doing an extra set on each part(we currently do 3 exercised 4 sets to failure) or an extra exercise for each part, this would allow us to really concentrate on each muscle group and also cut our gym time (currently about 1hr 40 mins) to about an hour which I have been told is as much as you should do(and I know my son would like). My only problems this. that would mean only training each body part once a week, which I know lots of people do, but before i have even started the routine I dont feel I will be doing enough. I know the only thing to do is try it, and inevitably thats probably what I will do, but I'd hate to be working out and going backwards (especially for him). Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated......Pete

Hey All, would like yoour advice, Im 43 and my sons 17, we have been training together for about 8 months and have seen good gains in both size and strength(not massive but good).
Don't worry about what some guy at the gym said, or what we might say. All that matters is results.

What you've been doing has got you results. Keep doing it until it stops giving you results, then ask others for advice.

Note that I say this even though what you are doing is not what I would advise people to do. It's worked for you. If it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid.

What do you consider good gains to be? Also his reasoning about blood needing to go everywhere and it being too much, well blood has to go everywhere anyway and is pretty effiecient at doing it's job, as long as it has been given the nutrients and time. His explanation and reasoning sounds poor and uneducated which means he probably doesn't know the reason why he works out the way he does.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Thanks for your replys,
Kyle,
"Note that I say this even though what you are doing is not what I would advise people to do."
What would you advise people to do? bear in mind we only have 3 days a week to train..
Dave,
My explination of his reasoning may be a little vague as when he was telling me I was thinking about his first point while he went on to the second..LOL.
I suppose my real question is What are your opinions of 2 as opposed to 3 body parts per workout and once as opposed to twice (or 1.5) a week per muscle group. I know it's all about what works, but opinions and advice is what I'm after....... You can never stop learning from the more experienced..... Pete....:)

Pete, I advise full-body workouts with 3-4 exercises a workout, 2-4 times a week, with some cardio or sports on the other days.

But it doesn't matter, because what you're doing is working for you. If it's stupid and it works it ain't stupid.

When it stops working, then come back and we'll have something useful to say. In the meantime, ignore random idiots in the gym. If it works it works. Only results matter.

I congratulate you on your training with your son. How much better is that for a boy or young man to be training with his old man than drinking beer and watching sports or something more typical like that. Should be more like you.

Have a look at the beginners look here thread, it's a sticky near the top of the page. It has some good examples for you use or get some ideas from. Just so you know bodypary splits and less effective than a full body workout.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your set up seems good and i think the guys advice at the gym is average because muscle groups dont work in isolation.

Theres nothing wrong with the whole upper/lower split (which is what your doing).

You need to move away from the 'is once a week enough?' though. Most rugby players only lift x2 a week and last time i checked they weren't small.

Thanks all for your replys, we worked out tonight and spoke about it. Hes pretty keen to give it a go, cut down on the length of workout and I dont want him to lose interest, so as you guys say the proof is in the results, if it doesnt work at least we will know. And Kyle, yeah it is great working out with your son, never thought when I stopped training 20 years ago that the next time I started it would be with my young bloke. Kinda makes you feel old really LOL......... Pete.....:)