• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheap home gym?

bob23

I currently own these

50kg Barbell / Dumbbell Set - Bars - Free Weights - Strength | Workout World?

+ a York Gym Bench

I'm working on a budget here and don't want to spend more than $500. I was thinking of buy this squat rack TREADMILL WAREHOUSE - Exercise Fitness BODYWORX - BODYWORX ADJUSTABLE SQUAT/DIP STAND - Benches

But then I would need to buy some more weights which could start to get expensive. Or should I sell the barbell + weights I currently have?

Could anybody link me to some cheap, good quality equipment to set up a small home gym? I'm looking at doing starting strength.

What was shitty about those squat stands? It looks pretty safe and can hold quite a lot of kg's in my opinion, but if you think any different please let me know.

Consider I have a decent barbell/dumbbell set, wouldn't I just need a squat rack and some heavier weights to do something like a starting strength routine?

That barbell set looks like junk... Will last 10 minutes doing starting strength programming... Bar will bend and those collars are a pain in the ass...

The smart thing to do is get rid of it and take Fluffys advice...

Olympic Bar
Couple of hundred kilos of weight
Full rack

Save a bit more coin and do it properly....

Good luck...

I could probably sell the barbell set + weights for $200 including my york bench which I picked up for free lol

So if I was to save a bit more coin, are there any packages I should be looking at?

Does anybody else here have a home gym?

http://ausbb.com/workout-equipment/15297-show-us-your-home-gym.html

I'm gonna assume you don't know how to use the search function, the above link would probably be a good place to start and give you an idea of the sort of setup most guys have.

Don't fuck around with squat stands or standard weight gear. If you don't wanna committ a grand to setup a home gym just keep going to a gym until you feel you are committed enough to make the purchase.

Squat stands suck period. With a rack you can squat but also and probably just as important you can dip, chin & bench comfortably.

Last edited:
I think most power racks are 210cm tall or something? It would just fit in my gym area, however if I attempted any chin ups I would probably hit my head on the roof and not be able to go all the way up haha

Fluffy is dead on the money. Don't stuff around with sub standard gear. If you can't afford it now, lay by or keep squirrelling cash away whilst doing a body weight routine.

those squats stands look fine for home use for a beginner, the only problem I can see is that the safetys don't look as if they go low enough to bench out of, and possibly the bar holders don't go low enough for benching.
Not everyone has room for a full Rack.

PerthMac; Not everyone has room for a full Rack.[/QUOTE said:
Then I'd be inclined to say join a gym with the proper equipment. You are right, you usually can't bench off these sorts of racks, and that's just the start of the limitations.

So there are no squat racks that can also act as bench press spotters?

A power rack would not really be practical for where I live, and as I said the weight I use probably won't go too high anyway. I can never really imagine myself doing 150kg squats or 120kg bench presses for example. I want to progress but I don't think I'll ever get to that stage, which is why I'm not to keen on spending $1000 for a power rack.

At the risk of getting absolutely blasted by you guys, wouldn't something like this suffice for bench spotters and squat spotters. (I obviously couldn't go above 100kg though) Squat Rack Stand Pair Bench Press Weight Lifting Barbell - Online Shopping with FactoryFast Australia

Appreciate all the help so far :)

A power rack would not really be practical for where I live, and as I said the weight I use probably won't go too high anyway. I can never really imagine myself doing 150kg squats or 120kg bench presses for example. I want to progress but I don't think I'll ever get to that stage, which is why I'm not to keen on spending $1000 for a power rack.

At the risk of getting absolutely blasted by you guys, wouldn't something like this suffice for bench spotters and squat spotters. (I obviously couldn't go above 100kg though) Squat Rack Stand Pair Bench Press Weight Lifting Barbell - Online Shopping with FactoryFast Australia

Just join a gym mate.

Look for second hand mate. you will be amazed! It is possible to set up an amazing home gym on a budget.

Here is my story:

$110:
Shitty second hand all in one, bench, lat pull down, preacher station with 100kg weights

Sold it for $350.

$450
150kg of olympics rubber coated weight. Incline bench, Power rack, pulley system and olympic bar

Sold oly weigts for $250

$400
pairs of 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 50 kg kettlebells

Sold for $700

$1100
Bought DHS Comp barbell, Trap Bar, 6kg aluminum bar, Torsonator, 150kg of G2 Garage Gym bumpers, Olympic Plate rack, Barbell Rack

$500
10-40kg rubber hex dumbell set with stands.

Total ive spent: $2950
Total sold:$1300

So $1600 total I now have:
150kg G2 bumpers, power rack with pulley, incline bench, 10-40kg Dumbell set, torsonator, hex bar, aluminium bar.

You can easily set a gym up for next to nothing you just have to be patient and hold out for bargains and slowly sell and upgrade your stuff.

Sounds like you got some great deals. However I'd prefer working out sooner rather than later, instead of spending months and months of looking at equipment and selling it.

I guess as others have said, I can't do much at home without a power rack. Unless there is a squat stand that supports both squats and bench presses very safely.

I'm still trying to find room in my house for a power rack though lol

If You look at the order I bought things I got the essentials fist and basically upgraded from there. For about $600 you could get a rack and enough weights to last a year. If you then decided you wanted to upgrade you have the option to do so

If You look at the order I bought things I got the essentials fist and basically upgraded from there. For about $600 you could get a rack and enough weights to last a year. If you then decided you wanted to upgrade you have the option to do so

The thing is, I probably don't have room for a power rack which is why I am looking for a sturdy and safe squat rack.

At least with a home gym if I decide I've given up on the weights, I can always sell it. You can't really sell your gym membership after you've already paid $600 in a year for example.

Don't think your heart is in it mate.

I did what you are thinking of doing: pissed around with half racks and standard bars and plates to save money...it was a massive waste of time, not to mention dangerous and detrimental to training.

What I should have done from the start was get the basics and build from there. Cage, plates, bar, bench.

If I didn't eventually end up doing that, I would have joined a proper gym.

Good luck with whatever you work out.

Last edited:

2 problems I see with that rack, 1 is that the safetys are not long enough to act as real safety rails for bench, 2 is the stand design is not great as easy to knock over or trip on the base.

I'd suggest this as a squat rack, portable and reasonably solid.
Orbit Squat Rack - TBP611

I found a set of these on Ebay which are great for bench safetys, not so flash for squat but usable
Pillars of Power spotter racks for bench, squat - IronMind-ironmind

pity no-one in australia makes something similar

I bought a heap of cheap equipment when I started my home gym.
If you don't love what you have you won't use it.

I could pick this rack up for $295 Adjustable Squat Rack Barbell Weight Stand.

I know its not a power cage but I simply can't fit one. This thing is cheap, looks sturdy and has big safety catches. Rated up to 500lbs. I'm also assuming I could use it for safe bench presses?

I could also buy x2 20KG weight plates off these guys for just $80 pickup. So I'd be upgrading significantly for just $375.