• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chia seeds... Super seed?

Gauche

Chia Seeds

I work with an older gentleman who's blood count has never been above 120 since he started getting health problems. He tried everything over the last few years including all the fads etc. He started chia seeds in January this year and was tested this easter and came back with a reading just above 160. I asked him if he had done everything else the same and he said he ate his regular diet and just added these. I have no evidence personally but I thought it might be worth some ausbb constructive criticism. What do you guys think?

Bit of copy and paste for you all:

Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are one of nature’s superfoods – high in essential fatty acids, protein, soluble fibre, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They are easy to use, taste good, and can become a valuable addition to your diet. Read on to learn more.
Chia Seeds and Essential Fatty Acids

Chia seeds contain 32 to 39 percent oil, and this oil has the highest natural percentage of alpha-linolenic acid or omega 3 – up to 64 percent. The oil also contains omega 6 essential fatty acids, and has an omega 3 to omega 6 ratio of 3:2. Chia seeds are also rich in long-chain triglycerides which help to maintain the proper wall flexibility of the cells and also restore the correct cholesterol to triglycerides ratio. The omega 3 found in chia seeds is converted by the body into DHA and EPA fatty acids – the same kinds that are found in fish oil.
Essential fatty acids are vital in the body, helping muscles to recover after exercise or other physical exertion. They also help to increase the metabolism, thus helping in fat burning and weight loss. Essential fatty acids also play a part in generating the electrical currents that make the heart beat correctly. As well, they govern food absorption, mental health, and the process of oxidation and growth.
Chia Seeds and Nutrients

As well as essential fatty acids, chia seeds contain up to 23 percent protein. This protein is a complete protein and can be very effectively utilised by the body. It is also gluten free. Chia seeds are also rich in B vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, boron, and copper. In actual fact, chia seeds contain six times more calcium than milk does by weight, and the calcium in chia seeds is more easily absorbable by the body than the calcium in milk is. Chia seeds have three times more iron than spinach, and fifteen times more magnesium than broccoli.
Chia Seeds and Antioxidants

Chia seeds are also rich in antioxidants, especially chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, and flavanol glycosides. They also contain myricetin, quercetin, and kaempferol flavonols that protect the fatty acids from oxidation. These natural antioxidants mean that the chia seeds do not require refrigeration or added natural antioxidants to remain fresh.
Chia Seeds, Energy, and their Effect on the Colon

The seeds are able to absorb over nine times their weight in water and actually form a gel. This gel causes carbohydrates to be released slowly into the body, and the carbohydrates are slowly converted into glucose which is then used for energy. This keeps the body feeling fuller for longer. Chia seeds are also rich in soluble fibre (five percent). The mucilaginous properties of chia seeds act as both a bulking agent and a fibre source, and this helps to cleanse and soothe the colon. Chia seeds are able to act as a sort of sponge, absorbing toxins, whilst also lubricating the colon, and strengthening the peristaltic action of the intestines.
How to use Chia Seeds

Chia seeds can be used in any recipe that uses flax seeds. Ground or whole chia seeds can be sprinkled on cereals or salads, or you can simply eat them as a snack. They can also be used in dressings, sauces, and smoothies. Alternatively, you can stir a tablespoon of chia seeds into a glass of water or juice, stirring to remove any lumps, and letting sit for about five minutes before drinking.
Another option is to make a gel with the chia seeds, which can then be used in all kinds of foods.

Question: What Are the Health Benefits of Chia Seeds?
I didn't really think that much about chia seed (beyond visions of Chia Pets, which used chia seeds!) until I read the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. In the book, a tribe of superrunners in Mexico eat lots of chia seeds. It got me thinking about the possible health benefits of chia seeds.
Answer: Chia is a plant which, like flax seed, has a great deal of healthy omega-3 fatty acid in it (5 grams in 2 tablespoons). This is a good thing. Omega-3s are known to reduce inflammation and help the body fight off some of the effects of aging. Unlike flax seed, you don't have to grind chia seed in order for your body to use it and chia seed does not spoil quickly, making it much more convenient than flax seed. In the book, McDougall talks about how the tribe would put the chia seeds in water and they would create a gel for drinking. This is because chia seeds are hydrophyllic - that hold around 10 times their weight in water. For athletes, this is a good thing, helping hydration during exercise. This also happens in your stomach (even if you eat the seeds raw) and some believe that the gel coats the stomach and restricts the absorption of calories, making chia a possible diet aid.
Two tablespoons of Chia seeds also have a respectable amount of antioxidants, fiber (7 grams), protein (4 grams) and calcium (205 milligrams).
What I like about the claims about the health benefits of chia is that they are rooted in a verifiable fact: Chia has a lot of really great nutrients. That is pretty much good enough for me to understand why chia seeds might be a healthy addition to a good diet.
What I can't figure out is why no one has really heard of chia. Sure, you can find chia seeds in health food stores, but flax seeds are much more popular, have less omega-3s and are inconvenient (requiring fresh grinding). Perhaps because of the seeds strange connection to Chia Pets? I'm not sure, but I will be giving chia seeds a try by sprinkling on salads, mixing them in with yogurt and (when I am feeling brave) putting them in water, waiting 30 minutes and trying some "chia Jell-o."
Source:
Nutrition Data. Chia Seeds

Llew

Last edited:
chia seeds contain up to 23 percent protein

Why would this not be a defined value?

Sounds a lot like that so-called other superfood, Quinoloa*

I spose it would come down to quality and growing conditions. Have you heard of them before Shrek? I never had
Posted via Mobile Device

I saw them on today tonight then they were in every store around..

I hate those health zone stores. Its the new goji i mean acai berry...

There are alot of things very goof for you... probelm is peple take them then think it gives them excuses for their bad lifestyle...

Agreed but do this things help our good lifestyle? I was just thinking about replacing the flaxseeds I take on the basis of them aparently not going off as quick and digesting better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed but do this things help our good lifestyle? I was just thinking about replacing the flaxseeds I take on the basis of them aparently not going off as quick and digesting better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Apparently the EPA DHA in flax seeds is useless compared to say something like cod liver oil.. then you get the benefits of iodine vitmains D and A.

Also flaxseeds contain phytooestrogens dont they? I try to stay away from endocrine disruptors...