• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

critique/input for this split and workouts?...

<ULTRA-MEGA>

F.U.B.A.R.
1. back (thickness)

2. chest

3. quads + hamstrings

4. back (width) + biceps

5. shoulders, delts + triceps

i would be slotting in off days and cardio between the days that i go to the gym. i do power walking for my cardio moderate intensity about 45 mins-1hr

back thickness workout:

deadlifts - 5 x 5-6
seated rows with "u" handle (for extra r.o.m.) - 5 x 12
hammer 1 arm rows - 3 x 6-12
hammer shrug - 4 x 10-15
hyper extensions - 3 x 15

chest workout...

bench press - 5 x 5 (changing from barbell to dumbells every 3-4 weeks, (strength. no "burn sets", no sets to failure")
explosive pushup - 3 x as many as possible as fast as possible
hammer incline press 1 feel set and 2 x 10-15 (together and then each side
machine flye - 1 warm up and 2 x 10-15

quads and hamstrings workout...

hammer v-squat - 3 x 10-15 (front) and 2 x 10-15 reverse (does not involve hamstrings much) (feet close together)
leg extensions - i work these between sets of v-squats. i work up the weight and before the final set of v-squats i do a drop set and then immediately after that go onto a final drop set on the v-squats)
hammer hip/glute machine 3 x 15
hammer seated leg curl 3 x 15
bodyweight bulgarian squat and stiff leg deadlifts 3 x 12-15 (optional) unsure about these.
***have torn left hamstrings on the sldl's in the past so i do them only to below knees and use caution***
i need a free weight exercise in there somewhere thinking about box squats...outer quads are a strong point. need to bring up the tear drops. still researching exercises to add.

back width and biceps workout...

wide grip chin ups - 3 x 10-20
hammer strength pullover- 2 x 10-12
hammer grip pull down or close grip pull downs 3 x 12
hammer strength iso lat pulldown - 2 x 6-12 (each side)
barbell hammer curls superset with concentration curls 3 x 10
(not doing much for biceps because of having 2 back workouts)

shoulders, delts + triceps

overhead press - 5 x 4 (just aiming for strength on this lift. no "burn sets", no sets to failure")
close grip rack press - 3 x 6
underhand tricep pulldown 2 x 10-15
laying db extension - 2 x 10
rear delt machine super set with seated face pulls 3 x 15 each

i have some bone exposing out of my back in the rear delt, trap and rhomboids area thats why i have the rhomboid push ups and scapula retraction exercises. someone here said its called lower/upper cross syndrome. i've had this issue for years and now i'm really trying to get it sorted because it looks so bad and my shoulder stability is poor.

*** experimented today and made some changes. really had a good crack at seated rows and face pulls for the first time today and my whole back, traps, rhomboids and rear delts exploded! had a massive pump and literally everything just popped out. was pulling multiple sets of 120lb for about 15 reps on the seated rows, aiming for the big 200lbs ***

the goal is back size, rectifying my exposed shoulder bone problem and strength

Last edited:
It is something different, but I sort of like it, also is a little higher volume then I would be used to and I think I would struggle to get through a full workout with decent intensity throughout due to number of exercises in each workout and the time frame I can workout.

However, as i said I quiet like the look of it and will be interested to see the results you gets from this, how long are you going to follow this before checking results for strength and size gains?

The split itself is solid man, but the individual days might need work depending on a few things.

It's pretty high volume, so are you on the sauce? Eating a bunch of good calories? How much do you weigh? Because it looks like you've set out a routine for Jay Cutler.

For the "Rhomboid push ups" do you mean, push ups then pushing your shoulder blades forward even more? Theyre called push up plus', and they are a "push" exercise and belong on your chest day. They work the serratus anterior (boxer muscle) by protracting the scapula.

I take your not using a whole lot of weight on deadlifts going off your 5x5-7 (which you just changed to 5-6) rep range. Any sort of appreciable weight, that would be a killer workout on its own.

What sort of weight are you moving on squats, oh press and bench?

I personally would not work Calves the day before Legs.

If you're working them with anything approaching full intensity, you'll find that they're limiting legs day.

yeah man just throw a load of stuff together that "feels good" and im sure it will work out great

The split itself is solid man, but the individual days might need work depending on a few things.

It's pretty high volume, so are you on the sauce? Eating a bunch of good calories? How much do you weigh? Because it looks like you've set out a routine for Jay Cutler.

For the "Rhomboid push ups" do you mean, push ups then pushing your shoulder blades forward even more? Theyre called push up plus', and they are a "push" exercise and belong on your chest day. They work the serratus anterior (boxer muscle) by protracting the scapula.

I take your not using a whole lot of weight on deadlifts going off your 5x5-7 (which you just changed to 5-6) rep range. Any sort of appreciable weight, that would be a killer workout on its own.

What sort of weight are you moving on squats, oh press and bench?

hey thanks. my stats are 81kg, natural relatively lean. awesome diet and supplement regime. have competed 1 time.

as i mentioned i reset most of my weights and started from scratch with better form. had to learn to bench press and shoulder press better.

i had a long break from the gym for several years and only began training seriously again.

bench press: 77kg x 5
o/h press: 57-60kg x 4
deadlift: 85kg
seated row: 120lbs x 15
squat: probably 100kg x 10 but only doing v-squats at the moment because of hamstring issue. saturday was only my 3rd time deadlifting in years, even though i can lift more, i just want to move up slowly.

i'm still tweaking all of this. i have experimented with training shoulders with legs or doing some back exercises with legs workout.

i never do 2 gym sessions back to back. theres always a day or 2 between and i'm either eating and doing nothing or doing a bit of cardio or go to the gym to stretch and do some preventative exercises for knees and rotator cuffs.

yes i'm doing 5x6 on deadlifts instead of 5x5. working my way up week by week. slowly.

i don't train to failure on all exercises.

might do the rhomboid push ups at home on an off day

have cut a few work sets out from the training there. some things i can work very effectively with only 2 work sets and other things require 1 or 2 more like quads and traps and the bench and o/h press. or i just do "feel sets". i also use pause-reps and 1/2 drops on a few exercises as i feel like.

Last edited:
hey thanks. my stats are 81kg, natural relatively lean. awesome diet and supplement regime. have competed 1 time.

as i mentioned i reset most of my weights and started from scratch with better form. had to learn to bench press and shoulder press better.

i had a long break from the gym for several years and only began training seriously again.

bench press: 77kg x 5
o/h press: 57-60kg x 4
deadlift: 85kg
seated row: 120lbs x 15
squat: probably 100kg x 10 but only doing v-squats at the moment because of hamstring issue. saturday was only my 3rd time deadlifting in years, even though i can lift more, i just want to move up slowly.

i'm still tweaking all of this. i have experimented with training shoulders with legs or doing some back exercises with legs workout.

i never do 2 gym sessions back to back. theres always a day or 2 between and i'm either eating and doing nothing or doing a bit of cardio or go to the gym to stretch and do some preventative exercises for knees and rotator cuffs.

yes i'm doing 5x6 on deadlifts instead of 5x5. working my way up week by week. slowly.

i don't train to failure on all exercises.

might do the rhomboid push ups at home on an off day

have cut a few work sets out from the training there. some things i can work very effectively with only 2 work sets and other things require 1 or 2 more like quads and traps and the bench and o/h press. or i just do "feel sets". i also use pause-reps and 1/2 drops on a few exercises as i feel like.

So if you say you're training every other day or whatever how many times in a 7 day period do you train, or how long does it take to do your 5 day split.

Your exercises selection and placement need some work man. You dont need any sort of intensive techniques like rest pauses yet, you havent begun to take the full advantage of the basics yet.

Theres nothing wrong with machine exercises they just have to placed right in the workout.

If you want a proper program lemme know.

Oh and as for awesome diet, it very well may be, but as Dorian Yates said, if you cant tell me how much protein, carbs, fat and calories you're taking in I cant help you. List everythingm including what foods when

takes me about 12-14 days to do my current split. depends how i feel. this week is the first week in a long time i will have trained 2 sessions in a row because its been too long since i benched and oh pressed. it could even be better for me to hit shoulders with quads and hamstrings. i don't do a whole lot for shoulders, pretty much just press and side laterals.

current food intake...

wake up: 10g ajinomoto glutamine, 2 krill oil + 2 glucosamine tablets

12 egg whites 2-3 yolks
1 cup oats
250g full fat yogurt
2 bromelain tablets
1 betaine hcl tablet
1 large cup of green tea

200-250g chicken breast or turkey or beef
200g sweet potato or 1 cup of basmati/sushi rice mix
green beans
1 table spoon of macadamia nut oil
1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in lukewarm water

green beans
1 table spoon of macadmia nut oil
2 bromelain tablets

wpc protein shake in water (approx 50g protein)
10g ajinomoto glutamine
1/2 cup of mixed nuts

green beans
1 bromelain tablet
1 betaine hcl tablet

green beans

10g ajinomoto glutamine
1/2 cup of mixed nut

my pre workout intake:

wpc protein shake + 2 cups of basmati/sushi rice mix + 1g r-ala

30-40 mins later: 10g creatine/ 10g beta-alanine 1tsp glucose
30-40 mins later (during warm up): b.s.n. no-explode + 4 jet fuel capsules
20 mins later begin training.

post work out:
wpc protein shake
10g creatine
10g ajinomoto glutamine
glucose powder about 30-40g carbs

(i mostly train first thing in the day)

You dont need any sort of intensive techniques like rest pauses yet, you havent begun to take the full advantage of the basics yet.

Oh and as for awesome diet, it very well may be, but as Dorian Yates said, if you cant tell me how much protein, carbs, fat and calories you're taking in I cant help you. List everythingm including what foods when

i've got some decent training experience. certainly no newbie, however since i have returned to training it does feel a little bit that way. rest-pause is fine for me to use but i'm mostly using it for my back exercises except for deadlifts. i find its a good way to get more out of a set and i can use less work sets that way.

If you want a proper program lemme know.

would be interested to see what you'd recommend but it would have to prioritise back, traps and rear delts.

Thats what l was thinking.... either im slacking off big time (not really, jsut cant take many if any supps) or he's wasting quite a lot of money.

Nah man... Well over 300g of Protein, 20g of creats, and an assload of aminoz and tablets. When you're a 100kg low single digit BF% monster, that'd sound about right.

But he ain't.

We ain't either :-D

;326095 said:
not really. thats actually quite a modest amount of common supplements that many people use.

Yeah and most of the common supps people use are a waste of cash.

Anything beyond protein powder, creatine mono and beta alanine is a waste of cash and even they are not needed.

I think Glutamine isn't a bad option - especially if you've got a brain intensive occupation.

But we are detracting from the post. Carry on bud, sorry to interrupt.

Anything beyond protein powder, creatine mono and beta alanine is a waste of cash and even they are not needed.

hmm thats not entirely true. i disagree.

creatine works and well beta-alanine i'm just trying out.

are they vital supplements you should use all the time? hell no.

this time round i'm using supplements and trying different foods. was never much a supplement kind of guy in the past and pretty much ate only solid food. not even protein powder.

takes me about 12-14 days to do my current split. depends how i feel. this week is the first week in a long time i will have trained 2 sessions in a row because its been too long since i benched and oh pressed. it could even be better for me to hit shoulders with quads and hamstrings. i don't do a whole lot for shoulders, pretty much just press and side laterals.

current food intake...

wake up: 10g ajinomoto glutamine, 2 krill oil + 2 glucosamine tablets

12 egg whites 2-3 yolks
1 cup oats
250g full fat yogurt
2 bromelain tablets
1 betaine hcl tablet
1 large cup of green tea

green beans
1 table spoon of macadamia nut oil
1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in lukewarm water

green beans
2 bromelain tablets

10g ajinomoto glutamine
1/2 cup of mixed nuts

green beans
1 bromelain tablet
1 betaine hcl tablet

green beans

10g ajinomoto glutamine
1/2 cup of mixed nut

my pre workout intake:

wpc protein shake + 2 cups of basmati/sushi rice mix + 1g r-ala

30-40 mins later: 10g creatine/ 10g beta-alanine 1tsp glucose
30-40 mins later (during warm up): b.s.n. no-explode + 4 jet fuel capsules
20 mins later begin training.

post work out:
wpc protein shake
10g creatine
10g ajinomoto glutamine
glucose powder about 30-40g carbs

(i mostly train first thing in the day)

Wow! 5 training days in 2 weeks are you f'n kidding me?? Thats ridiculous. You've got super high volume sessions then a few days off. They basically negate each other and ruin the training effect.

Sorry mate, but I just don't believe your eating 800g - 1kg of meat at day at 81kg. If thats cooked weight thats 300g protein JUST from the meat.

Too much creatine per day. >5g is all you need. Any more and you're just asking for gastro-intestinal problems. Nothing major, but it can lead to cramps and some heavy duty toilet time.

Stick to Protein Powder, whatever brand gloats your boat. Creatine and beta alanine are good and the next basic supplements to keep in your diet. Creatine has to be taken EVERYDAY, ideally just in post workout shake. Beta alanine 1.2-1.6g per serve, 3-4 times a day to have any sort of effect.

Glutamine IS NOT essential, spend your money on other things. If you get a quality powder it should have enough in it for a bodybuilders RDI

Day 1- Back Width/ Shoulders
Day 2- Legs
Day 3- Off
Day 4-Chest
Day 5- Back Thickness
Day 6- Off
Day 7- Off

This is all to be done in ONE WEEK.

Heavy compounds first -Wide Pullups, V squat, Bench Press, deadlift.

Pick another compound exercises now- Shoulder Press, Leg Press, DB press, Cable Rows

Machine Based Movements- Whatever ones you feel like, if you have Hammer equipment go for it

Isolation Movement- Pullover with a DB is better than machine. Do it one a decline bench if you want something different. Lat raises. etc

Rehab exercises- THIS is where you do the push up plus's. They have nothing to do with the Rhomboids, apart from the fact that yours are probably tight.

Serratus anterior, upper traps and lower traps all form the love triangle of the shoulder blade. When one gets stronger than the other it gets all out of whack and this happens-

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/ABDomega/IMG_2002.jpg?t=1242141231

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fPWVyhOtSNE/SGKSu3qfdXI/AAAAAAAAAKc/BDbPGtxRaQQ/s320/WingedScapula.jpg

Does your back look like this??