• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Critique my Split

ThePump

Hi Everyone, I am looking at changing to the following split and would like everyones advice and suggestions. Below is the example I will follow, please let me know what you think and how I may be able to better improve the routine. I have been working out for 3 years and would consider myself intermediate to advanced when it comes to lifting.

Mon - Legs/Traps
Tuesday - Back/Biceps
Wednesday - Abs only
Thursday - Calfs/Shoulders
Friday - Chest/Triceps
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Repeat Cycle

Can't really tell you much with the information you have given us.

How old are ya
Weight
Height
Max lifts in squat, bench, dead.
Goals.
What lifts do you plan on doing.

Im currently looking at doing the following as shown below, I will be mixing up some workouts in there and changing them around as I feel neccessary. Also there will be some drop sets in there when required.

Monday (Legs/Traps)
Leg Curls
Hamstring Curls
Squats
Lunges
Barbell Shrugs
Standing Upright Rows

Tuesday (Back/Biceps)
Bent Over Barbell Rows
Lat Pulldows
Deadlifts
Concentration Curls
Preacher Curls
Hammer Curls

Wednesday
This will be a 30 minute weighted ab workout which so far is working very well for me and I would rather do it on a day on its own.

Thursday (Calfs/Shoulders)
Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raise
Military Press
Side Lateral Raises
Front Lateral Raises

Friday (Chest/Triceps)
Flat Bench Press
Incline Dumbell Press
Dumbell Flys
Skull Crushes
Tricep Rope
Tricep Overhead Extensions

I am currently looking at tryring to acheive as much growth as possible, Some examples of current lifts are as follows

Bench Press - 150KG, 5 to 8 reps, 4 sets
Squat - 140KG, 5 to 8 reps, 4 sets
Deadlift - 160KG, 5 to 8 reps, 4 sets

All these are performed with very strict form and complete range of motion.

Last edited:
Neglecting me being completely against any split that's more than upper/lower, imo you have way too many exercises, and on top of that you're doing squats after 2 different types of curls. WTF

i have little knowledge of bodybuilding type training, but i wouldn't put your shoulder workout and chest on consecutive days because pressing uses your shoulders aswell. With those lifts you mentioned though you must have some impressive bulk, post a picture(no homo)?

Wtf is with those lift numbers? 150 for bench but only a 140 squat and 160 dead?

If I were you and adamant to sticky to a split I'd run an upper/lower to get more squat and dead frequency in.

You can either do:
Back/traps/bis
Squat/assistance
Rest
Chest/shoulders/tris
Deads/assistance

Or a more traditional:
Upper - push/pull
Lower - squat/assistance
Rest
Upper -push/pull
Lower - deads/assistance

people always say to start with big lifts, but i find doing quad extiensions and hammy curls before squatting good, it get blood to the area, and warms it up.

people always say to start with big lifts, but i find doing quad extiensions and hammy curls before squatting good, it get blood to the area, and warms it up.

Yeah, that's called a warm-up. Most people don't even include them when they write up a program. They're a given.

If the OP is primarily after hypertrophy and if those squat and dead numbers occur after pre-fatiguing with isolation exercises, I don't see a problem with the numbers. He's shitting all over beginner numbers and if those reps at that weight are adding size then good.
Additionaly for a 4 day lift split, 6 exercises is not too much.
My only real critique of the split would be for you to rearrange your days. Deadlifts after squats and shoulders after chest is not the best choice. Better to go:
Legs/traps
Chest/Tri's
Abs
Back/Bi's
Calves/Shoulders

Last edited:
Yes I know, I think I may just have a very strong chest or weak back and legs :) I'm not adamant to sticking to a split or a certain routine, I'm open for suggestions as I want to change to a new routine for more growth.

The only thing I really want is a day on it's own in between the lifting days as that will give me a good rest and also gives me good time to do weighted ab work.

You suggest any upper/lower routine in general?

Wtf is with those lift numbers? 150 for bench but only a 140 squat and 160 dead?

If I were you and adamant to sticky to a split I'd run an upper/lower to get more squat and dead frequency in.

You can either do:
Back/traps/bis
Squat/assistance
Rest
Chest/shoulders/tris
Deads/assistance

Or a more traditional:
Upper - push/pull
Lower - squat/assistance
Rest
Upper -push/pull
Lower - deads/assistance

Last edited:
I think Upper/Lower would be far more balanced imo. And you'd probably do abs at the end of your lower body day. Just don't overdo the legs too much