• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cutting Diet

iBug

Hey guys, I'm a new member here so ill give you some background info

Height: 190cm (6'3'')
Weight: 87.7kg
BF%: 15 - 20 (Estimate)
Training: Close to two years

So started a bulk at 85 moved up to 93 within 3months (didn't really know exactly what I was doing). Now I cutting just need a quick check over to see if my diet is all good.

Breakfast:
Shake Consisting of (Blended):
2 x Large Eggs (Yolks + Whites)
1 x Banana
150g Low Fat Cottage Cheese
50g Fresh Strawberries
2 x Wheat Bix
300ml Skim Milk

Snack:
30 Almonds
14 Walnut Halves
Apple / Banana (depending on day)

Lunch:
1 Cup Steamed Broccoli
1 Cup Steamed Carrot
150g Steamed Beans
125gram Tuna Tin (in olive oil) / 200g of Chicken or Rump (depending on day)

Pregym:
Jack3d (Original Forumla)

Post Gym:
300ml Skim Milk
Optimum Gold Standard Whey
2 x 1000mg Fish Oil
1 x Multivitamin

Dinner:
Rump - 250gram / 11egg white scrambled / Chicken 250g (depending on day)
With various steamed vegetables (mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, spinach, sweet potato or beans)

From what I calculated it is roughly

2200Calories
180grams of protein (roughly, depending on meat choices)
173grams of Carbs
70grams of Fat

Combined with working out 5 days a week (4 days heavy weight training, 1 day of circuit training / HITT)

How is this for a cut? Okay or am I way off the mark here

Cheers guys

Last edited:
That should get the job done, stick with it for a while - the leaner you get, the more you may need to adjust calories/ and the ratio of CHO to protein - but for now at 15-20% you'll be fine.

If you want to lean out even further, try adding in a few mornings of early cardio even on weight training days. You probably won't need to do this right now. But as you get further down the scale of body fat it becomes more difficult to strip, unless you're naturally lean.

You'll often read that you don't need to do any cardio to get lean, and theoretically, you don't. A good diet and heavy weights will work well. But adding in anything that chews through calories and increases oxygen consumption will get the job done.

I had trouble getting under 10% a few years back - adding in 5 days a week (2 HIIT, 3 early morning cardio for 30-40 minutes) did absolute wonders. I could have further cut calories instead, but it starts affecting the intensity of your workouts - which defeats the purpose.

Anyhow, it's an individual thing. You will need to see how your body responds. For now start with the basics (diet in check, good resistance training regime). You can test out everything else along the line.

Ultimately it comes down to taking in less and burning more.

Hey guys, I'm a new member here so ill give you some background info

Height: 190cm (6'3'')
Weight: 87.7kg
BF%: 15 - 20 (Estimate)
Training: Close to two years

So started a bulk at 85 moved up to 93 within 3months (didn't really know exactly what I was doing). Now I cutting just need a quick check over to see if my diet is all good.

Breakfast:
Shake Consisting of (Blended):
2 x Large Eggs (Yolks + Whites)
1 x Banana
150g Low Fat Cottage Cheese
50g Fresh Strawberries
2 x Wheat Bix
300ml Skim Milk

Snack:
30 Almonds
14 Walnut Halves
Apple / Banana (depending on day)

Lunch:
1 Cup Steamed Broccoli
1 Cup Steamed Carrot
150g Steamed Beans
125gram Tuna Tin (in olive oil) / 200g of Chicken or Rump (depending on day)

Pregym:
Jack3d (Original Forumla)

Post Gym:
300ml Skim Milk
Optimum Gold Standard Whey
2 x 1000mg Fish Oil
1 x Multivitamin

Dinner:
Rump - 250gram / 11egg white scrambled / Chicken 250g (depending on day)
With various steamed vegetables (mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, spinach, sweet potato or beans)

From what I calculated it is roughly

2200Calories
180grams of protein (roughly, depending on meat choices)
173grams of Carbs
70grams of Fat

Combined with working out 5 days a week (4 days heavy weight training, 1 day of circuit training / HITT)

How is this for a cut? Okay or am I way off the mark here

Cheers guys

IMO you will enjoy greater success if you concentrate on calorie counting...

Down load myfitnesspal and log your calories every day....

Eat at 2200 for two weeks and see what happens... If your losing weight then keep eating at that level and monitoring as you go...

If your weight remains the same... Drop your calories 10% and then repeat... Sooner or later you will figure out your daily calorie intake for weight loss...

Ideally aim for half a kilo of weight loss each week...

@Minchia: Thanks for the tips, didn't really realize that thought it would stay steady, i'll have to keep it in mind the further I drop.

@NazzySmith: I currently do calorie count and do use MyFitnessPal, which does help allow for some flexibility. First few weeks I lost 1.2kg and 1.6kg which I assumed was alot of water weight, however did increase calories so I try for 2200 - 2400 daily

Cheers for the advice guys, keep it coming

Really half a Kg per week? man i wish i could do that.

I should try dropping cals untill i get a steady half kg per week.

Its not to hard, make sure to count alcohol for the calories as well.

Dont drink, not many people are used to hearing that come from a 21 yr old haha.

time to get more strict, no weekend diet breaks, and time to up the training.

Dont drink, not many people are used to hearing that come from a 21 yr old haha.

It's these extreme diet recommendations that make diets unsustainable. If you want to have a few drinks while dieting just count them in your calories. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I stopped drinking the day after my 21st Bday. Havent sipped alcohol in almost 4 years. Best thing i ever did.

Stay away from beer, drink spirits straight or with Pmax or Coke Zero for the least amount of calories.

Biggest thing is to resist the 2am Yiros or Pizza hahaha. :D

I stopped drinking the day after my 21st Bday. Havent sipped alcohol in almost 4 years. Best thing i ever did.

Stay away from beer, drink spirits straight or with Pmax or Coke Zero for the least amount of calories.

Biggest thing is to resist the 2am Yiros or Pizza hahaha. :D

Calories from beer isn't too high. Low carb beers even better. It's the spirits mixed with full sugar soft drinks that are the worst.

Cans of Jim beam and zero cola are the best things invented 70 calories compared to about 260 for normal Jim beam cans.

You are right it's normally the food you eat while drinking that causes the most weight gain.

Really half a Kg per week? man i wish i could do that.

I should try dropping cals untill i get a steady half kg per week.

This will be dependant on where your at... A lean person would find it harder and may experience slower recomposition...

Equally an obese person can prolly do a couple of kilos a week...

I didn't say don't drink, just count the cals.

I'm not going to stop having a cider or two or a few glasses of red or a beer with mates (could drink a low cal beer if you find them drinkable)

I work it on a reward scale if I'm under for the rest of the week, I'll allow the extra cals on the weekend or if over do an extra bit of cardio

I didn't say don't drink, just count the cals.

I'm not going to stop having a cider or two or a few glasses of red or a beer with mates (could drink a low cal beer if you find them drinkable)

I work it on a reward scale if I'm under for the rest of the week, I'll allow the extra cals on the weekend or if over do an extra bit of cardio

ow thats cool, But im saying i dont drink at all so its no problem for me,

FOOD is my vice come the weekend, i love going to diffrent area to get the food i like. Not thats its unhealty food, But i need to LOG it all in fitness pal so make sure im on track.

No cheat days anymore, I get lazy on the weekend, So even if i want a big mac meal, I will log it all and make sure i stay with in my limit. Even if thats mean a maccers meal is all i can eat for the day. I know if i do that ill think twice next time. :)

It's pretty simple. Even this week I ate some garbage food (packet of chips, had some cake, etc) as long as its all counted it is sweet. Still lost .4kg which is nice and steady. Should hit 78 - 80 by summer which for me is optimum weight

Log everything with MyFitnessPal, even beer, spirits, just barcode scan that. So simple to count calories these days

Are you guys endorsed by MyFitnessPal? Especially you nazzy, I think every second post I have read by you in this section mentions that app :p

But seriously - I use daily burn and have done so for about a year now but there are a few things missing. Can you plug in the macros that you want? Dailyburn's aren't customisable.

Anyway - OP I think the key is what nazzy said initially, do the same thing for 2 weeks, don't make any changes until you've seen what your results are for 2 weeks. As long as your protein is up around the 2.2kg/g mark and you watch your calories, you will do just fine. You may find 5 days/week gym too much. Again - see you how you ago.