• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Damaged/Failed Equipment

BrisVegasGhost

Elite Member
Anyone ever seen any piece of gym equipment fail?
A cable snap while someone was doing seated rows or tricep push downs? An adjustable bench collapse or power cage/j hooks fail?
Haven't seen any personally myself.
Twice I have seen an adjustable bench collapse from upright to flat, but that was more the users fault for not locating the pop pin.

haven't seen any myself ,
at my gym the one machine that has come close to failing was the 45 leg press , the welds on the plate bars was starting to crack , decent sized cracks too , it got patched up

they have a guy come in maybe once a month that does maintenance on things , bolts and stuff tightened up , things getting greased and oiled

Didn't see it but a cable on a leg press snapped once, supposedly didn't hurt the guy. Just scared the shit out of him with the noise

In Highschool gym, we had this one big boy who started powerlifting when he was like 13. He was about 17, 6'5, and 110kg. He was showing off 4 and a half plate squats with the flimsy cheap bars the highschool had, and one of them snapped right in half while he was squatting. Well not snapped, shattered, it splintered apart from the middle outward. Lucky, he had a thick pussy pad on which the PE teacher made him use, and it probably saved a lot of damage to him.

This is what prompted me to buy some decent equipment. My standard bar has a permanent bend from dead lifts and I wasn't keen on having it fail.

Nope. We have a guy come in every month to replace cables and such. Spends most of his time fixing cardio crap.

I have had a strap break during deadlifts, back when I used straps. I once tripped over some dickhead's bag on the floor and dropped a 20kg plate on my right foot, breaking 3 toes. Does that count?

Not a failure of the equipment but a ceiling fan fell off the roof and landed on the pec deck at a gym I used to train at in the early 90s. There apparently was a guy using it at the time but he didn't get hurt too much. I have stayed away from pec decks ever since and I'm not too trusting of ceiling fans either.

I have seen a few funny things in gyms but it is more often a failure of the person rather than the equipment. Dumbell inclines can be funny if the spotter is too dumb to know when to back off. 35 kg dumbell fair in the side of the head.

Unfortunately yes. 5 years ago was on the incline bench in the smith machine flat out pumping up the upper pecks for my low cut t-shirt. Had 2 x 20 on each side and no counter weight on this one, so relatively heavy, when the fucking pin in the bench failed, bench collapsed, bar followed very shortly after, thank fuck my partner was switched on and quick off the mark. Amazingly the 100kg that fall on me didn't damage me, what's fucked me was the back of my head smashing the bench as I was pressing hard when the support dissapeard and reappeared a foot lower.
Tell you what, till this day I now check the all the locking mechanisms twice before I depend on it, the feeling was: confusion, shock, pain, fear and finished with anger, took a week to recover, migraine went for 48 hours.

Ouch mate.
Minor user errors only for me.. the safety bars in a cage at an anytime here slip out without the pins in.
I discovered this rather abruptly one day after resting the bar after a failed rep on bench
Not fun
Have seen others do it too, have even notified staff but they don't want to put up any sign or anything

Broke the pedal on my spin bike. The bearing broke and seized. Nearly hyper extended my knee!

Ooooh...that reminds me, my foot came out of the pedal on the bike in the gym, kept
spinning and hit me on the back of the calf several times, a chick saw it so I pretended it didn't hurt, by it did, so I went home and cried there.

I saw a brand new again faster bar snap after being dropped unevenly from overhead with only 100kg on it

Brother almost knocked himself out when lat pulldown cable snapped.

This happened to me.

You know when youve been hit so hard you get instantly cold, angry mixed with a lot of WTF and the first thing you think is about is finding a dark corner to lay down and have a sleep?

I went inside, wrapped a towel around my head and laid down. Didnt sleep but spent a while wondering what happened because i dont remember going inside.

Hardest i have ever been hit and ive been punched plenty.

No more cable machines for me.

Last edited: