• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DB Squats

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
Any tips on doing this right? I find its brutal on far less weight than when I do a BB back squat. Mostly its due to holding the DB in place on my shoulders perfectly still otherwise it keeps banging on my head during my set, which gets kinda annoying.

Since the DB is sitting closer to the front compared to a BS, I find that its hitting the quads more.

It's harder because the moment arm is increased
hold the dumbbell in front of you, grabbing one of the ends with both hands

Beware people,if you barbell squat you get huge!
And why is this in the powerlifting forum?

Last edited:
Some people just want to get tone, not huge
tumblr_ljp6fyd7go1qasqbl.jpg

Yeah guess Rippetoe is completely wrong and Darkoz is correct
There are no moment forces or torque forces in the squat whatsoever and the hip, knee and ankles straighten by magic

Yeah guess Rippetoe is completely wrong and Darkoz is correct
There are no moment forces or torque forces in the squat whatsoever and the hip, knee and ankles straighten by magic
Yep in the case of comparing dumbell and barbell squats which is what this thread is about.

Last edited:
Incorrect again Darkoz!
In the dumbbell squat, the dumbbell is placed either on the shoulders in front of the chest. Both of which will increase the length of the moment arm (spine) compared to low bar squats increasing moment forces. It will also mean you have to stay more upright to keep correct moment arm position putting you in an even more disadvantaged position!

Hmmm, I'm not 100% sure on this but I think Darkos is right.

The moment force must be able to pivot (rotate) from a central place ie barbell on back, where as the dumbbell would not be in a stand alone center, thus creating a principle moment, or a moment of movement from a non-central lever.

But than again, I googled this shit after writing all that shit and now I'm more confused LOL......fwaaaark high school was 14yrs ago, gime a break you basteds :D:D:D

Incorrect again Darkoz!
In the dumbbell squat, the dumbbell is placed either on the shoulders in front of the chest. Both of which will increase the length of the moment arm (spine) compared to low bar squats increasing moment forces. It will also mean you have to stay more upright to keep correct moment arm position putting you in an even more disadvantaged position!

Hmm, that is not a dumbbell squat, that is a goblet squat I thought. DB squat is when you hold the DBs beside body aren't they?

On that principle you would be correct with the moment arm as the force moment would pivot from a stand alone centre not a moving one.

Incorrect again Darkoz!

Dumbbell Front Squat
This is the squat I am referring to. Yes, I feel like I have to straighten way more than with BS, I can't push my hips out as far back in this format without losing balance. Its also harder I think because so much effort is required to hold the DB equally in place, without it toppling over and knocking my head with it. :rolleyes: