• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

didnt know wot to say

chrisp

hi guys im a pt and boxing coach , today one of the guys who has been training at are gym today asked me something and ,,,well i didnt know wot the f@#k to say. So hes just finished a routine of deads,squats militry press ,bench press and curls, i was doing boxing pad work with another guy when i see him waiting for me ,hes feeling great and tells me then sais "i feel all pumped" how long will it take me to get my muscles this big all the time? "you know like when ive not just worked out" ? so i just patted him on the back and said make sure i see you monday,,,feel embarassed and im sure im going to get burnt for writing this by alot of you guys.
but has anybody any info on this ? is there any guides?

IM KNOW NERVOUSLY GOING TO PRESS POST
cheers

Man I kinda want to slap you after reading that.

I don't have an answer to your question, though. If he wants to be that big he has to... get that big. Eat, lift, be merry.

A blog post from Leigh Peele

We last left off discussing how muscles are built and the important factors needed for the building of muscle. Now I want to touch on logical muscle gain expectations and percentage of surplus needed for both male and female.
I am taking this from my new book Body By Eats. It will be edited for the purposes of this article.
I’m providing percentages that will help you gain modest amounts of muscle. I wouldn’t increase your caloric intake too much, or else you’ll gain fat as quickly as you gain muscle. It should also be stated that this is only in conjunction with a training program involving progressive overload.
Percentage of daily intake increase to gain mass
8 percent: Roughly 0.2 – 0.3 pounds mass per week
10 percent: Roughly 0.4 -0.5 pounds of mass per week
15 percent: Roughly 0.75 pounds of mass per week
20 percent: Roughly 1 pound of mass per week
You’ll also gain muscle faster if you’re starting out, versus someone who’s been lifting for years. Take not of this when determining which percentage of increase is right for you. Here’s how it breaks down:
Men
Newbie: 1-2 Years of serious lifting = Roughly 1.5 pounds a month in muscle
Intermediate: 2-4 years of lifting = 0.5 pounds a month in muscle
Advanced: 4-plus years of lifting = 0.25 pounds a month in muscle
Women
Newbie: 1-6 months of serious lifting = Roughly .75 to 1 pounds a month in muscle
Newbie: 6-12 months = .5 pounds a month in muscle
Intermediate: 1-2 years of lifting = 0.3-0.4 pounds a month in muscle
Advanced: 4-plus years of lifting = 0.1- 0.2 pounds a month in muscle
Note 1: I recommend that newbies increase their caloric intake by 10-15 percent starting off and adjust as needed. Since gains can be made during this stage even in absence of a noticeable surplus, a surplus is still important on small levels.
Note 2: Since females gain muscle at a slower rate than men your excess intake should be at a smaller percentage to decrease excess fat storage.
Note 3: Age is also a important factor both for men and women. As you get into the 30’s and above you can start to decrease the surplus amount....
rest of article...

Last edited:
I dont gain size after a work out.. I feel it but no visual change. Maybe he just got a big head.

cheers haz exactly the sort of info i was after , thank you again.

moon ,i did expect something along those lines from somebody.But sometimes just telling a kid "just go home and eat , come back and train" isnt wot he wants to here, or needs to here, and yes i did find it alittle worrying i didnt know the answer.

S1K TYp1n' CuZ!

Anyways, if he liked his 'pumped' look, he has to just keep training hard and eating calories above maintenance and in 3 months he'll achieve his goal.

However, in 3 months when he's bigger, his pumped look is bigger, so he'll never be happy.
Maybe im just always huge :)
You probably just don't train hard enough. Or your rest periods are FAR too long.

Last edited:
S1K TYp1n' CuZ!

Anyways, if he liked his 'pumped' look, he has to just keep training hard and eating calories above maintenance and in 3 months he'll achieve his goal.

However, in 3 months when he's bigger, his pumped look is bigger, so he'll never be happy.
You probably just don't train hard enough. Or your rest periods are FAR too long.

No im just huge...

Why didnt you simply explain to him that his pumped sensation was just blood rushing to the muscle, and that in fact he had broken muscle tissue down in the gym rather than built it, which is what he should be doing with food rather than sitting around waiting to gloat to a trainer.

Anyone that thinks long rest periods hinder muscle growth has a looooooooooooooong day of reading and learning ahead of him.

If those that know dont stop and explain to those that dont, how are we ever going to turnaround all the misinformation out there.

Why didnt you simply explain to him that his pumped sensation was just blood rushing to the muscle, and that in fact he had broken muscle tissue down in the gym rather than built it, which is what he should be doing with food rather than sitting around waiting to gloat to a trainer.

Anyone that thinks long rest periods hinder muscle growth has a looooooooooooooong day of reading and learning ahead of him.

If those that know dont stop and explain to those that dont, how are we ever going to turnaround all the misinformation out there.

Good point, but i think that we wait for people to come to us for the truth after a while...

Think of it like mormans.. They preech to you you get the shits, but when you turn to look for them you accept them.

Same with trianing and health people have to be searching for the truth to want to find it markos..

I meant long rest periods hinder muscle 'pumps' not growth. Sorry I should have made that more clear.
Posted via Mobile Device

moon ,i did expect something along those lines from somebody.But sometimes just telling a kid "just go home and eat , come back and train" isnt wot he wants to here, or needs to here, and yes i did find it alittle worrying i didnt know the answer.

You mentioned you were a trainer, so if he is a client sit down and assess his goals. He is x size now, wants to be y. Make a plan, include the progression and reassessment (diet/1rm) places and get to it. Eat, lift and get big is the simplified version of this.

Take measurements when he's pumped v cold if you have to, goals and progression goals and progression...

Firstly apologises again for my use of the english language. Markos , your right one of the ways i could have delt with the sitution would have been to explain to him about the pump he was experiancing. But the direct question was "how long will it take for him to get as big as his pumped state , while not pumped".?
I understand what your saying when you say "If those that know dont stop and explain to those that dont, how are we ever going to turnaround all the misinformation out there" but thats got to stand for guys like me too. Im a boxing coach, trying to get my guys strong, so they can be the best they can.
I was asking for the correct information so i could learn and be better at relaying that information. Ive only had weights racks in my BOXING gym for 3 years now, im learning but i need guys like you markos to help me help others, you probably forgoten more than i know.

Just something else id like to add, the kid in question is 18 , been lifting weights for a couple of weeks now, boxing for around 6 months. He wasnt gloating , he was excited ,and id rather see this kid excited from a pump than taking a "E" on the weekend with his mate and getting drunk

thanks brendon,thats why im here. Ive been lifting myself for round 7 years,i came over from england with the british olympic boxing team in 2000 to compete fell in love with australia and made it permanent. Trained at a boxing gym in perth witch was more of a youth club for kids to get them of the streets most nights. the owner passed away 4 years ago so myself and a friend made the jump and took the gym over.Obviously we know about boxing but its been u huge and hard learning process with alot of the other stuff.
This forum has been fantastic , hours of reading done and learnt so much more than the pt course i did. Im a big fan of markos and fadis material, and I am learning.

My son is training 2 teenagers as I type, they lift to complement their boxing.

Neither has lifted weights before, they wont know for years how lucky they are lol

He actually has 4 kids training at once, its a strong little bunch of kids, I walked out there and theyre deadlifting 150kg+ and squatting 100kg, strong.

Make it your job to correct every error, no matter how small, lets stop all this crap from circulating.

Thats cool Morgan, I misunderstood what you meant.

thanks markos ive been reading alot of your material. I really was thrown in the deep end taking over the gym, its been a struggle, on a saturday morning,tuesday and thursday night we have between 18-30 kids from the ages 11-18. Half dont pay but its the thing they look foward to the most all week. We have the guys monday, wednesdays fridays and saturdays obvisouly there nowhere as strong as the people you work with but they are improving. I only have racks bars and weights and they only do compound moves,but we have alot fun with some big tyres, heavy sand bags and two anchors that weigh 80kg each.

Please keep posting so i can keep learning