• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

diet for children

puff

My wife and I have over a period of time commented to each other about the type of food that my 2 boys (3 and a half, and 1 and half) receive at child care. we both work full time so they're in care 5 days a week. it's a great centre, the staff are excellent but the food has us troubled. There is so little protein in the meals that it's virtually vegetarian. morning tea is always corn flakes, lunch is usually of mediterrean or middle eastern origin (but with no meat) and afternoon tea is often muffins.

My youngest is quite an adventurous eater but passes on lunch approximately half the time, the oldest is very fussy and would eat lunch at care less than 10% of the time, meaning they're both starving when i get them and they're generally filling up on muffins around 3 after having a small bowl of corn flakes at 930.

My wife spoke to the centre manager and it was explained the government has to approve the menus and it is deliberately loaded towards being vegetarian as it's based on the food pyramid. they're loaded up with breads, grains and cereals and the protein is non-existent. My wife asked if we can send food in for lunch for the boys, which was knocked back based on others having food allergies, the centre has a policy that no outside food can come in.

My understanding was that the food pyramid had been debunked - is this right?

And has anyone been in a similar situation and found a way round it (other than changing centres, as food aside they are brilliant)?

I let my oldest son bring his toast with peanut butter one morning into care. You should've seen the carer's face - you would've thought he was carrying a bomb.

It`s a tough situation for both you and the center.Some kids with nut allergies only have to smell peanut butter to be set off.With all the allergies around these days and sue happy parents they can`t afford the risk and as they said, the government regulations bind them.I doubt that there is any alternative except for making sure your kids get a good brekky and dinner and weekend meals.
The vegetarian route is probably their safest bet as vegetarians can`t eat meat but meat eaters can eat almost anything (theoretically at least).

does anyone there actually have peanut alleriges?

Seriously wake the **** up people...

It is a risk not worth taking.My nephew was 3 before it was discovered he had a mild peanut allergy.

It is a risk not worth taking.My nephew was 3 before it was discovered he had a mild peanut allergy.

So we ban nuts all together problem solved?

Nuts are legumes any way so why ban and seeds and nuts alltogether as a peanut isnt even a ****ing nut or a seed!! so this logic is beyond my comprehension..

Noobs a little more experience in the world of legal liability will do you wonders, I have worked at a school where there were kids with peanut allergies among other food allergies it can be dangerous and people are lawsuit happy these days. At a preschool it is unknown whether children have allergies etc etc.

This does not mean that the food value could be increased but do not forget that government regulations are always years behind, shit even the CSIRO have their own methods that are completely different from what the government says and the CSIRO is the main government research body.

There should be regulations towards foods that can be dangerous but add in the foods that are good for you and not dangerous. Also as always don't forget to add in the cost of changing the foods, grain is cheap and fairly long life everything else is not. They try to keep prices as low as they can to attract parents and skimping on food is an easy one for them as most parents can't tell what is healthy anyway.

Puff if you want better food expect to pay a lot more, that or you and your wife can cut down your work days and share the load of looking after the kids at home, or one of you can quit. Either way it is a crap situation with the cost of living.

Puff if you want better food expect to pay a lot more, that or you and your wife can cut down your work days and share the load of looking after the kids at home, or one of you can quit. Either way it is a crap situation with the cost of living.

My wife started back at full-time work after 3 years off only a month ago. Money isn't the issue, working full-time is important to her (and me) for a number of reasons and I support her in that.

We pay $650 per week on top of what the government kicks in - you would think that would be enough.

We pay $650 per week on top of what the government kicks in

F U C K ME that is a lot. Damn I would rather quit and stay home and look after my own kids and feed them and teach them what I want, then maybe work a couple of days a week if I feel the need. But that is my own opinion. If money is not the problem maybe you can look around for another provider that has meals that will keep your child healthy.

So we ban nuts all together problem solved?

Nuts are legumes any way so why ban and seeds and nuts alltogether as a peanut isnt even a ****ing nut or a seed!! so this logic is beyond my comprehension..

Semantics aside Noobs, if they let one food in they have to let other foods in.
If no kids have a peanut allergy and they let peanuts in,what happens when a kid with an allergy enrolls?
People get mighty pissed off when they are denied something but not half as pissed as when you take something away from them.

Semantics aside Noobs, if they let one food in they have to let other foods in.
If no kids have a peanut allergy and they let peanuts in,what happens when a kid with an allergy enrolls?
People get mighty pissed off when they are denied something but not half as pissed as when you take something away from them.

Wel then let seeds o ffs...

What do you feed your kids lcm bars?

[YOUTUBE]7SBfKZeErv0[/YOUTUBE]

Its ok no artificial colours and less then 10% fat and the goodness of rice..

What ****ing goodness is there in rice!!

I think there are more nutrients in soil then an lcm bar...

I know of a mother who gave her kid a piece of cake to take to school, the kids teacher saw it and wouldn't let the kid eat it. Too unhealthy. Teacher sent kid home with a note not to bring that stuff in again.

This was a special treat for the kid, after that the kid didn't want to eat cake because the kid got in trouble for it. Mother was furious. IMO teachers shouldn't have control over what kids eat.

I know another family, kids in daycare... kid can't take anything to daycare, no sandwiches, no snacks.. nothing. They are only allowed to eat fruit at the daycare place. Most likely due to the legal implications, you all know what happens if little Johnny gives little Jill who is allergic to nuts, a bite of his peanut butter sandwich.

I understand why daycares and schools do it though. When kids are younger it is harder to control what they do. They could easily take a bite of each others foods.

Noobs, I assume that your an expert on childhood nutritional needs, about their large need for carbohydrates? You being an expert & master of all things diet & science based? God, i wish i was as young & uneducated and passionate as you.

This is a tough situation. While giving your kids to an organization for a very large period of time, trusting that they supply the level of care that they deserve is a big choice. When the organization falls short of that commitment, in terms of supplying less than expected food choices it's possibly worth thinking about if your still giving your money to the right people.

On a bit of a side note, I really love my girlfriend. Like, crazy love her. Watching some of the food &/or beverages she gives to her (not mine) kids I find quite frustrating. For example for dinner she'll serve to them chips, noodles & garlic bread. Sure this'll happen once a week...but still........

the food pyramid is the wrong way around.

N00bs is passionate and thinks 4 years of uni will cover food science. It doesn't. People can be book smart and stupid in every other way, not saying that is N00BS, but seriously there are alot of people like that.

I could be morbidly obese and a doctor for all you people know. I probably have higher grades than most of you here. Experience counts for alot and books really can't give you that experience.

It's more like an introduction into your chosen career.

Some of the stupidest assholes i know are personal trainers. It's a phase at the moment. I don't think it should be so easy to become a trainer. Too many idiots are doing it.

We have a total ban on all nuts at my school. One girl has a severe peanut allergy.

It's so dangerous for her that she will go into full shock conditions. We carry a bum bag with an epi pen syringe. If she shows any sign of immediate distress we need to give the needle, write the time on her with a marker pen and have another staff member call an ambulance.

These steps all happen immediately. No time to ask for the principal to come. No time to race her to first aide. If not hit with the needle she can be dead within minutes.

As deadly as hell for some kids.

Sadly, the only thing kids eat at recess seems to be chips and chocolate. Hardly any fruit comes out of kids bags at all.

There is so much packaging rubbish from 400 kids you would be shocked.

I feel like telling the parents to pack fruit or all packaging rubbish goes back home in the lunch box.

NOBODY knows what good nutrient laden food is.

It's getting a bit ridiculous.

They know, they just choose not to employ it. Chips, lollies and sugar filled snacks were once party food now it's mainstream everyday kinda fare. Too much effort to give your kid some fruit and make them a meal and then you have to force them to eat it etc
Posted via Mobile Device

Here's when i show how old I am. I remember when I was at school, in my lucn box I would have, for example a treat (lamington, musli bar or something), s vegemite sandwhich plus an apple.

Noobs, I assume that your an expert on childhood nutritional needs, about their large need for carbohydrates? You being an expert & master of all things diet & science based? God, i wish i was as young & uneducated and passionate as you.

This is a tough situation. While giving your kids to an organization for a very large period of time, trusting that they supply the level of care that they deserve is a big choice. When the organization falls short of that commitment, in terms of supplying less than expected food choices it's possibly worth thinking about if your still giving your money to the right people.

On a bit of a side note, I really love my girlfriend. Like, crazy love her. Watching some of the food &/or beverages she gives to her (not mine) kids I find quite frustrating. For example for dinner she'll serve to them chips, noodles & garlic bread. Sure this'll happen once a week...but still........

the food pyramid is the wrong way around.

Whats your ****ing problem?

No im not an "expert" but i know that the nutritional requirements of our cihldren are not in LCM bars..

Markos is not an exper either, **** i dont even think he has a certificate of qualification. So im guessing he doesnt know anything either because he doesnt have his peice of paper.

If you think sugar coated rice is a good thing to add to childrens diets then go ahead..

Just because you were once a fat **** and loss some weight does not make you the know it all of everything, do some research on sugar and you will see for youself. If you choose not to pull your ****ing head in .

Seriously do it now go find some research regarding sugar and see what the **** we are doing to people. Its quite obviously im not the ****ing ignorant one.

Last edited:
Let's not call people names please.
Any probs report the post. I do not like deleting posts.