• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you have good form?

DKD

Private Dancer
Correct form would have to be the number one priority in training, but there must be so many that struggle with this.

Are you happy with your exercise form or do you struggle? I imagine there would be some guys who have trained for a decent period (couple of years or so) who are still all over the shop with their technique. I'm a bit like this myself. I'd like to see more coaches around who can teach technique on compound lifts. From the horror stories I've read on here it seems most PTs aren't equipped for that sort of coaching.

Are you satisfied with your exercise form? If yes, how did you get to that level? Self taught, YouTube, Starting Strength book, Ausbb? Or did you find a good coach?

Last edited:
I coach all my clients on how to correctly squat, lunge and bend. Once that is under their belt they advance, whether it be bb squats, bb lunges, kb swings whatever is all dependant to their goals.

with my own form I'd say I'm happy with it when working under 90%1RM, which is fine for me seeing as the highest I get to is 5x5 rep range

Coached by various P.T'.s over the years... pretty good. I know its good because I get NOWHERE near the PB's you guys are putting up!! :p

Mostly self-taught with assistance from Youtube. I got strong at all the big lifts while training alone in London.

Self-taught from SS and youtube. Definitely room for improvement though. Would really benefit from some coaching I suspect.

My bench and Squat has come a LONG way thats for sure and i am now happy with both of them.

As for my dead, i think i arch my back too much :( I have tried heaps of different things but dont know how to get it straight :mad:

People always come up to me when im deadlifting at the gym and go "did you know you are arching your back?" So annoying...

One book that greatly influenced me in terms of technique was Stuart mcroberts, the insiders tell-all handbook on weight training technique (now out of print)

This has been replaced by; build muscle, lose fat, look great.
I have this on my kindle, but haven't read it yet.

You can still buy the first book at amazon.

But, if you are truly interested in this game, this book is a must for your library.

I'm happy with my form in general. What I would like to improve is my deadlift technique.

One book that greatly influenced me in terms of technique was Stuart mcroberts, the insiders tell-all handbook on weight training technique (now out of print)

I recently got "Beyond Brawn" by the same author. I'm about a third of the way through it, it's excellent, best book on weight training I've read. It's made me realise all the errors I've made over the last year. I'll also be getting the one you mentioned. While I recuperate from my shoulder injury I'm gonna read up and learn how to do this business properly!

Mostly self taught, learnt from starting strength how to squat and dead. Bench I learned from the dave tate t-nation articles.

kept reading and reading and working on activating the right muscles analzying top competitors form and working it to my strengths.
Im happy with where I am now, for me lifting with good technique is to be able to activate all the muscles required in the lift while ensuring the joint movement is one that is efficient.

there is ALWAYS room for improvement on technique.
i will say i am satisfied with my form but it still need improvement.

I don't think form in bodybuilding matters all that much as long as it's strict
It's not powerlifting, you're not trying to put up big numbers so if you squat far too upright and it puts all the weight on your quads so you can't lift as much, it doesn't really matter that much anyway as the muscle still gets worked.

There are a lot, a lot! of people that got massive legs with half squats in the smith machine lol

This has been replaced by; build muscle, lose fat, look great.
I have this on my kindle, but haven't read it yet.

You can still buy the first book at amazon.

But, if you are truly interested in this game, this book is a must for your library.

Andy, I've considered getting this book a few times, but in the end I got Starting Strength instead. Do you think McRobert's book is worth getting in addition to SS, or would I be doubling up on the main info in both books?

I have Brawn and a few Hardgainer articles, which I quite like, but his constant bitching about not being genetically gifted gives me the sh*ts.

I don't think form in bodybuilding matters all that much as long as it's strict...........

How can you say it doesn't matter but then say as long as it's strict?
If form needs to be strict then it does matter.

Andy, I've considered getting this book a few times, but in the end I got Starting Strength instead. Do you think McRobert's book is worth getting in addition to SS, or would I be doubling up on the main info in both books?

I have Brawn and a few Hardgainer articles, which I quite like, but his constant bitching about not being genetically gifted gives me the sh*ts.

D-man.
The insiders book covers extensive technique for a larger range of the other productive exercises not mentioned by Ripp.
A very handy reference for the lifter.

I think there is a massive difference between form and technique.
Ive seem people with good "form" but shit "technique".