• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dumbbell Advice

T

terrabyte

hi guys its me again back with another question
I'm lookin to buy a set of dumbbells so that i can do some training at home. So i headed off down to the shops to check out what i can get and at what prices, i noticed that you get dumbbells in either plastic or metal.

which is the better buy? does it even matter. i was looking at getting the plastic set due to the shop being closer and easier to get home, if i get plastic would they last as long metall ones.

thanks

Weights are weights.

As long as the platsic ones don't look like they will break if you drop them little, they should be ok. The grip has to be comfortable and non slip.

How long do you need them to last?
As long as you don't abuse your equipment, it should last long enough.
If the metal ones don't cost much more, I would buy them as long as they are comfortable to use and a good design.

You are talking about fixed one piece dumbbells right?

Plastic ones are usually for wooden floors, and it slightly prevents denting them when you drop them.

If you have carpet or rubber, metal ones are good. They won't put a hole in the floor when you drop them.

sounds like fixed set to me , only seen plastic dumbbells in fixed set , the plastic set are just normally a protective layer, under the cover it would be metal for the weight

only problem that i can see is that when you outgrow them you are going to have them laying around ,

they are cheaper then adjustable but for a good life span you'd be better off investing your money in a set of adjustables

Even when you outgrow them, then can still be used. Like pyramiding up/down, drop sets and running the rack.

But if you don't really want them, you could give them to friend. Or even try and sell it back to the shop. It's not like it's an electronic device that could stop working because you've been using them.

Terrabyte,

My advice would to get adjustable ones. The ones I have are the York Rubber ones. In the pack, you get 2 spin lock bars and 20kgs of weights.
The beauty of these is that, I can add weights too it, the bars are standard size, because they are rubber coated, they won't break the floor tiles etc.

I would suggest doing a bigger look around, go for the spin lock or similar type. Plastic covered ones are ok, the metal ones might be a bit cheaper.

MightyTriby

buying weights you already need to be a boybuilder to cart them home lol
thanks for the advice guys i think i'll get a set of adjustable i'd be better off in the long run