• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dumbbell Only Program.

Keen2Go

Hey Guys,

I am new to this site and was hoping I could find some help and advice.

I am turning 20 in a couple of more months and have adequate gym experience. Only let down is, I was never consistent. I would see some impressive gains but then would stop and go back to my skinny self.

OK so long story short, the only equipment I have access to now is a set of adjustable dumbbells (upto 50KG each) and a super curl bar. Basically what I am after is a good program to follow and stick to. I have opted to train at home as this is more convenient for me, and the equipment I have now is all I could afford.

Also, I am a bit stuck as to whether I should get on a beginners program or intermediate as I do think I have the relevant experience. Also I would prefer a 4 day routine but wouldn't mind a 3 day routine either.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hey mate... Since no one replied, here's my workout suggestion for a beginner:

2-3 times a week:

3 sets of 8-10 reps:
Dumbell bench press (or weighted push ups - dumbell weights in back pack, or push ups with your feet on a chair)
Dumbell overhead press or Arnie press (your choice)
Dumbell Rows
Squats, holding the dumbells at your side (I've never done this, maybe youtube dumbell squats)
Bicep curls (use EZ bar or dumbells, doesn't really matter. Hammer curls with dumbells are good)

Later on, add:
Chin ups (as many as you can)
Skull crushers (add these pretty soon, but to start with push ups will be hard)
Some deadlift variation (you'll need a barbell for this I'd think)

Maybe later on, sub out:
Push ups for dips, for some variation.

If you're a little more advanced, perhaps try hitting your compound movements twice a week with 3-6 sets of assistance work after.
E.g.:
3 sets of 8-10 reps of 40kg dumbells on bench
3 sets of 15-20kg dumbell flyes (accessory)
3 sets of skull crushers (acc)
I think Layne Norton's PHAT routine looks good for bodybuilding, you might want to try it if you're a bit stronger, and figure out some dumbell substitutes for some of the exercises he lists.

Last edited:
Do you have a bench?

If you were doing a 4 day routine I would do an upper/lower split 2x a week.

Upper body dumbbell exercises that I would use would be dumbbell presses and incline dumbbell presses, one arm shoulder presses, upright rows or laterals, dumbbell pullovers, dumbbell rows, incline dumbbell curls, overhead tricep extensions.

Lower body you are probably a bit more limited but I'd be looking at some form of lunges, squats (holding the dumbbells at your sides, go really deep), calf raises, step ups (stepping up on to a bench or a box etc).

Personally I'd probably be doing 3 sets a pop at 10-12 reps, with some high rep stuff mixed in, but I don't know exactly what you're going for, so I guess thats up to you.

exrx.net is a good resource that has exercises grouped by body part & equipment.

Eat like a viking.

Thanks for your responses guys.

After reading your posts I have decided to opt for a 4 day split routine, upper and lower body. As for the exercises I have done some research and have replaced some exercises with the alternative dumbbell method. It will be as follows:

Upper Body
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3x8-10
Bent Over Dumbbell Rows - 3x8-10
Seated Dumbbell Press - 3x8-10
Barbell Curl (With the Super Curl Bar) - 3x8-10
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension - 3x8-10

Lower Body
Dumbbell Squats - 3x8-10
Dumbbell Lunges (Replacing Leg Press) - 3x8-10
Dumbbell Stiffed Leg Deadlift - 3x8-10
Calf Raises
Crunches

So what are your thoughts?

After reading your posts I have decided to opt for a 4 day split routine, upper and lower body. As for the exercises I have done some research and have replaced some exercises with the alternative dumbbell method. It will be as follows:

Upper Body

Lower Body
Dumbbell Squats - 3x8-10
Calf Raises
Crunches

These are my thoughts:

1. You have 2 push exercises, but only 1 pull exercise. Ideally, you would have something to balance out the vertical push plane of motion.
2. Consider doing your overhead dumbbell press standing (at least until you get your weights up really heavy).
3. If you have elbow issues with the lying tricep extensions (which people often do), consider doing close grip DB bench (you could even do 1 and 1/2 reps where you go up the full distance, come back down half, then back up and that's one rep).
4. Consider chucking in lying leg raises on your lower day before your crunches.

Otherwise, this looks like a solid program. If you just keep progressing once you can hit 10 reps, then you should see some good results. When you stall, drop your weight back to say 80% and then slowly work your way back up.

If you feel like cutting, you can just maintain the program and slowly decrease rest periods from 90 down to 15 seconds (but do it in say 15 second increments).

Good luck - I'd be keen to see how you go with this, so post in here if you start a log.

Looks good. I would eventually add chin ups, they are an awesome movement.

Later on maybe do 3 sets of chins followed by 2 sets of rows (this worked for me for a while, but it might be tough for a beginner).

Do not just sub in chins for rows though, you need rows for a good posture.

Good luck, and make sure you're getting stronger! By the time you're doing 50kg dumbells for reps on bench and 30kg above your head you'll be very happy with your progress.

Otherwise, this looks like a solid program. If you just keep progressing once you can hit 10 reps, then you should see some good results. When you stall, drop your weight back to say 80% and then slowly work your way back up.

Please elaborate on this??

@joe... I bet I will be very happy once I am hitting 50KG on bench press, but then the problem arises of what next since thats the maximum my dumbbells can hold! ill cross that bridge when and IF i get there though lol

Please elaborate on this??

@joe... I bet I will be very happy once I am hitting 50KG on bench press, but then the problem arises of what next since thats the maximum my dumbbells can hold! ill cross that bridge when and IF i get there though lol

Hey mate. See section 2.1 of the attached pdf: (it looks dodgy but it is a link to Lyle McDonald's generic bulking program - which you will see is pretty similar to the program you are running. You may want to read the entire pdf and see if you want to adopt his program. Google it - it's a pretty solid program and is talked about on a lot of forums, including this one from memory.)

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestudentroom.co.uk%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D188074%26d%3D1356383961&ei=YwwTUbMLyJSJB5bhgagI&usg=AFQjCNF9uRqWUo16IA3q4K2pLmFLagfGmw&bvm=bv.42080656,d.aGc

Looks good. I would eventually add chin ups, they are an awesome movement.

Later on maybe do 3 sets of chins followed by 2 sets of rows (this worked for me for a while, but it might be tough for a beginner).

Do not just sub in chins for rows though, you need rows for a good posture.

Good luck, and make sure you're getting stronger! By the time you're doing 50kg dumbells for reps on bench and 30kg above your head you'll be very happy with your progress.

Re this - you should check out the chin ups thread at the moment as to why you should keep your chins:rows ratio pretty similar. I also think you should try keep chest press:dumbbell row AND chins:shoulder press similar to avoid imbalances. Others opinions may differ, so again google it and read up :D

Again though - I think your program looks solid and not too complex. If your quads aren't getting sore enough (or if you have knee issues so you can't squat too heavy) you could always chuck in some dumbbell steps up which indirectly benefit your traps and grip strength (plus they tax your cardiovascular system at the same time, which is a nice bonus).

You will get to 50kg no doubt. Takes a while, probably 30kg will come quickly if it hasn't already, then a slow progression to 40, 42.5... etc etc.

Not really sure what level you're at but you might have to adjust the volume (more or less). I based 3 sets of 10 on the beginner program in the strength section and also cause it's roughly what I did to start with - note this is a good program whether your goals are strength or bodybuilding.

Upper Body

Lower Body
Dumbbell Squats - 3x8-10
Calf Raises
Crunches

people with more experience can criticize my advice if they like.

I'd be doing chins from the get go if you have something handy that you can do them on. If you can't do them right away then use one leg on a chair in front of you for some assistance.

Also I'd put in laying db pullovers, chair/bench dips and either standing rows or shrugs into your top routine.

For the 2nd day I'd add in leg raises and a plank hold. As judgey said, step ups would be good too.

I can't do chins as I have nothing handy to do them on. But I will throw in the Pullovers on Upper Body day and the Leg Raises before the crunches on the Lower Body Day.

So I plan to start this routine tomorrow. I should have mentioned this at the start, but my aim is to bulk up and put on some size, strength isn't really an aim here. Based on that, should any further changes be made?

I wouldn't bother with dips to start with, or pullovers. Or shrugs, or standing rows if you're doing dumbell rows.

Add them in at a later date? Sure, but 100 exercises are not needed for the beginner. Your muscle groups are already being hit by the exercises you will already be doing. Focus on getting stronger in the exercises listed and you will be fine.

Some people ask stuff like 'do I need to do cable flyes, incline flyes, flyes, decline bench, dips, ring flyes, etc etc etc in addition to bench to get a good chest?'. Answer is it's better to focus on just getting to the stage where you can throw around 40kg dumbells no probs before branching out. At least that has been my experience. The one exception I hear people say is 'Do incline bench instead of normal bench occasionally' - this is probably decent advice for the bodybuilder but it will by no means affect you greatly if you ignore it for months.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with dips to start with, or pullovers. Or shrugs, or standing rows if you're doing dumbell rows.

Add them in at a later date? Sure, but 100 exercises are not needed for the beginner. Your muscle groups are already being hit by the exercises you will already be doing. Focus on getting stronger in the exercises listed and you will be fine.

Some people ask stuff like 'do I need to do cable flyes, incline flyes, flyes, decline bench, dips, ring flyes, etc etc etc in addition to bench to get a good chest?'. Answer is it's better to focus on just getting to the stage where you can throw around 40kg dumbells no probs before branching out. At least that has been my experience. The one exception I hear people say is 'Do incline bench instead of normal bench occasionally' - this is probably decent advice for the bodybuilder but it will by no means affect you greatly if you ignore it for months.

If I was starting out again, I would focus on a slight incline bench press over flat. Arnie/Franco didn't have a flat bench at one of their gyms in the early days, can't see it hindered their development (ignoring the juice factor and insane genetics ;p).

The biggest change in the appearance of your chest will come from dips/decline flyes. However, I agree with Joe, just get bench cranking for now and see what it looks like when you've gotten to 40kg dumbbells (whether that be on flat or incline).

It would be ideal if you could do chins, but if you don't have the equipment there's not much you can do. You could have a look around and see if there is anything to let you do inverted rows (basically beginners chinups).

Ok I started this routine yesterday, and I am going to have a log of my workouts. Below is how I went. Personally, I was not to pleased with myself. As you can see I did not hit the intended rep range that was planned. Also, I found my form and technique to be a little awkward as I am using hammertone dumbbells, which are the biggest I have ever used.

I was thinking, can I use the super curl bar for my lying tricep extensions instead of the dumbbells??

Please note all KGS are per dumbbell. Let me know your thoughts :)
Upper Body
Dumbbell Bench Press - 20KG X 8,6,6
Bent Over Dumbbell Rows - 10KG X 10,10,10
Seated Dumbbell Press - 10KG X 10, 15KG X 8,8
Barbell Curl (With the Super Curl Bar) - 10KG X 10, 15KG X 10, 20KG X 8
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension - 5KG X 10, 7.5K X 5,4

psshh if it motivates you to be grumpy at your starting weights then great go for it, but if I was training with you I'd say the most important thing is you've started. There will always be people stronger and weaker than you. The numbers are irrelevant so long as what you're lifting challenges you and you keep it up. Use a weight that lets you maintain good form.

You seemed to get 3 sets of each exercise. Maybe stay on 5kgs for tricep extensions till you can happily get 3 sets of 10 out. You'll make leaps and bounds starting out and eventually what you started with will be a distant memory. Only important thing is that you're slowly making progress.

Dumbell step ups. If you can do those with a pair of 50kg dbells for a dozen reps each leg you will come close to knowing your creator. Also if you can hang the dumbells from some kind of improvised harness and stand on blocks then you don't have to miss out on squats.

I had to improvise heaps when I did remote location stuff. Dips between landcruiser trays, old excavator teeth for weight, tank stand ladder climbs with Jerry cans of water tied on, all kinds of stuff with 200L fuel drums.

Dumbell step ups. If you can do those with a pair of 50kg dbells for a dozen reps each leg you will come close to knowing your creator. Also if you can hang the dumbells from some kind of improvised harness and stand on blocks then you don't have to miss out on squats.

I had to improvise heaps when I did remote location stuff. Dips between landcruiser trays, old excavator teeth for weight, tank stand ladder climbs with Jerry cans of water tied on, all kinds of stuff with 200L fuel drums.

agreed. Bulgarian split squats and reverse deficit lunges are absolutely killer too.