• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Explosive/Speed training for lifts

SWH

Since i've started getting heavier in my main lifts, i've really been struggling to keep a constant comfortable speed especially while squatting or benching. Every rep is a big struggle and i feel like i have no explosive power at all.

Is there any training methods or exercises that will assist in improving this area of my lifting or does this just come as i get stronger?

Also i'm not sure if there is a thread for this please correct me if there is but is there any decent benching cycles out there as i'm really struggling with my bench, form needs work but numbers just don't seem to be going up at all anymore. All help appreciated

Pyramid training will help a fair bit. You're lacking the initial speed off the chest AND the ability to grind through a rep. Kinda unfortunate to have both lel.
So with the pyramid training you're basically doing speed work first, then a few heavy sets then go into repping. The repping will get you better at grinding. Something like this:

5x50%
4x60%
2x3x70%
1x3x75%
2x80%
1x85%
3x80%
4x75%
6x70%
8x60%
12x50%

I'd do that one day, then a 5x5 workout on another day. So that could look like this:

Monday:
5x5 - Start at 70% of 1RM and increase 2.5-5kg a week
pull-ups

Wednesday:
Front squats + overhead press for a dickload of triples
also UDL or other low back conditioning like swings or pull-thrus, back extensions etc. Very high reps

Friday:
ladder - keep percentages the same for 4 weeks, then increase by 3%. Take week 9 off from training then retest maxes on saturday
guns

is this beneficial even on a calorie deficit? or does it make no difference

Train for strength in both instances...

During cut to maintain mass....

During excess to take advantage of extra calories..

Edit: I like what oni suggested there...

Maybe try?

5x5 on Monday plus assistance

Speed and volume Bench Thursday....

Last edited:
other than what you suggested (pyramid training). are there certain programs or cycles that are made to tackle issues like this?

as weight gets heavier it's natural for the movement to become slower.

You could just do some speed work to assist.
10sets of 3 with around 50% is what I use. Fairly minimal rest.

as weight gets heavier it's natural for the movement to become slower.

You could just do some speed work to assist.
10sets of 3 with around 50% is what I use. Fairly minimal rest.

I've always had trouble with speed on most lifts even when its relatively light. I just don't feel myself ever exploding off a lift really. I'll try it out

Any program that follows the criteria I stated above really.
You want sets of 5 to build the ability to grind and push your strength-speed up
You want fast doubles or triples at 70-75% to develop speed off the chest
You want to rep out to get used to fatigue and push up muscle mass where you need it.

Texas Method has 5x5 on monday, speed training on wednesday then a heavy set on friday
5/3/1 has warm-ups where you can work on speed then you rep out the last set to get used to grinding. Then you can perform lots of reps as assistance
Westside going for 3-5RMs on max effort day is also good
Sheiko will develop speed strength very well but not so much ability to grind unless you change the rep structure (matching the volume) or instance 4x4x80% instead of 5x3x80% would work well.

Basically you want to push up the weights you can rep and perform a lot of sets. This will get you better at grinding a weight out as the force curve will be very flat when you're on your 5th set of 5 (where it is most likely and S shape at the moment on your 1RM). So if you decide on the Texas Method for instance you should focus on pushing up your 5x5 weight on the monday than your 3-5RM weight on the friday. If you choose sheiko, make more reps in each set. Pick sport specific assistance exercises that allow you to grind in a similar joint angle to your main exercises. RDL, close grip benches, snatch grip behind the neck presses, deficit sumo deadlifts and so on.

Force curves are an actual bitch to fix and many people don't bother with it, they just get stronger. Which is fine I guess but I get good results with tackling my force curve. I have achieve a good force curve on the deadlift and my squat is OK, but my bench is terrible and a really pronounced S shape. So for deadlift and squat, I am just having to focus on good speed and strength at the bottom of the lift to allow me to get stronger. Bench is different though as I have good speed from the chest but my sticking point is made from mud. So I do lots of 4's, 5's 6's and 8's for pressing and doubles and triples for a shitload of sets so I am benching under great fatigue

I hope this helps, I'm not too good at explaining myself or my methods. Mike T has a few bits on information on force curves if you're interested. If you have videos of your lifts then people can help out a bit more as technical work can always be improved on no matter who you are.

Thanks yeah you did. I don't know what force curve is but i'll look it up. But the programs help and i have a brief understanding i'll look more into it

I'm looking into trying the texas method but i don't have confidence while i'm on a caloric deficit

Force curve is just how the bar speed plays out if you make it into a graph. If it starts off fast, slows to a halt then speeds up it will look like an S with speed on the X axis and time on the Y. A rep that gets faster throughout the rep will look like /

By examining your force curve and looking at bar speed at different points of the lift you can prescribe sets and reps in your programming. The beginner will usually lack the ability to grind a rep out which is why programs like 5x5 work so well for them. No real point in a guy that can't grind out a rep doing 1RMs or speed work - the time under tension is too small to get a decent training response. Someone that has a flat force curve however will do very well with the 1RM work and most people that come off routines like 5x5 do very well working on speed-strength and hitting up the 3RMs

Okay yeah i see. yeah that would sound about right for my bench and squat. Bench for example, As i push half way through i will struggle to almost a standstill and sometimes i'll be able to grind out to about 3/4 and from there it just sorta 'pops' up similiar with squat

oh my god, talk about over thinking it hahaha

iv found that tightness helps speed the most to break through that sticking point, pull the bar appart, it will tighten your back, 'bend the bar' and push your chest up to the bar, it will create tightness in your lats and back, so as you brong the bar down, bend the bar, on the way up reverse the action and 'turn out'

fkn hard to explain over the net but tightness will help a shitload

oh my god, talk about over thinking it hahaha

iv found that tightness helps speed the most to break through that sticking point, pull the bar appart, it will tighten your back, 'bend the bar' and push your chest up to the bar, it will create tightness in your lats and back, so as you brong the bar down, bend the bar, on the way up reverse the action and 'turn out'

fkn hard to explain over the net but tightness will help a shitload

It's something that comes naturally to most people I find. They just "know" or have experienced people tell them what they need to do. I'm not very instinctive about lifting and don't have strong people looking over me so I generally have to think the fuck out of things to be able to understand what strong people do lol. Once you understand it it's pretty simple though, you just watch the video of how the rep goes and you have a good idea of what kind of reps you need to work on

Here is an example:
Individual Weakness Analysis (sample)

i do all my lifts with quite an expolovie movement, ofcourse while trying to keep proper form.

Mabey drop the weight back a little and really pump them out, Slowley increase keeping the same movement,

I wouldnet htink you need to change programs or anything

I would think most peoples technique would be limiting them from using enough weight on powercleans to benefit deadlifts much.

Speaking only from personal experience, my powerclean form wasn't great and the weight wasn't high but I really noticed the improvement in my deadlift speed from the floor.