• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Eye Fillet

The Hulk

Active Member, Site Advertiser
I've only ever eaten this once or twice in a restaurant, so always expected good quality.
But tonight I bought some from the supermarket to try instead of Rump steak.
The difference is huge, the Eye fillet is so nice and tender.
However, the negative is the price.
Was $9.35 for 250g - $38/kg.

Does anyone eat this regularly and where do you get decent quality for a reasonable price, how much per KG?

I think this will be my favourite steak meal from now on.

wholesale butchers. If you live in brisbane places like jack purcells or super-butcher are the business. Thats where i get all my meat.

Its the only steak Nina buys. Best by a mile

We get it each week from the Vic Market. Usually around $20kg, sometimes less, sometimes more.

In Frankston butchers its $36kg

I get some stuff from super butcher but I also get stuff delivered straight from a farm.

The farm actually has better consistant prices on meat except doesnt do sales like super butcher. Considering you live in Sydney the butcher I go to wont help but do a google search for bulk meat or meat direct from the farm, try a few different search strings spend a few hrs, it will be worth it. It took me a few tries to find this farm that delivers to my door but its A grade stuff, grass fed mince $9/kg hormone, antibiotic free etc, also they have T-bone for $16/kg and I believe their eye fillet was $21 but dont quote me on the last price.

Finding places like that is well worth the bit of time and effort, there is nothing like eating quality meat day in day out.

I get some stuff from super butcher but I also get stuff delivered straight from a farm.

The farm actually has better consistant prices on meat except doesnt do sales like super butcher. Considering you live in Sydney the butcher I go to wont help but do a google search for bulk meat or meat direct from the farm, try a few different search strings spend a few hrs, it will be worth it. It took me a few tries to find this farm that delivers to my door but its A grade stuff, grass fed mince $9/kg hormone, antibiotic free etc, also they have T-bone for $16/kg and I believe their eye fillet was $21 but dont quote me on the last price.

Finding places like that is well worth the bit of time and effort, there is nothing like eating quality meat day in day out.

Just so you know the antibiotic and hormone free thing is a marketing gimmick.

It's been illegal to feed chickens antibiotics or hormones for 40 years. Yet Coles new marketing campaign is hormone and antibiotic free chicken. Haha so is everyone else's.

I've only ever eaten this once or twice in a restaurant, so always expected good quality.
But tonight I bought some from the supermarket to try instead of Rump steak.
The difference is huge, the Eye fillet is so nice and tender.
However, the negative is the price.
Was $9.35 for 250g - $38/kg.

Does anyone eat this regularly and where do you get decent quality for a reasonable price, how much per KG?

I think this will be my favourite steak meal from now on.

Eye fillet is the most tender but does not have as much flavor as rump. Rump is actually a pretty tuff bit of steak and needs to be cooked just right not to end up like leather.

Porterhouse is a great compromise not quite as tender as fillet but a bit more meatier flavor.

Also try a nice big t bone. One side of the bone is fillet the other side is porterhouse.

One thing to try with rump steak is cut up into smaller pieces and bash out really thin. Put a little bit of oil and salt on each side. Put onto a hot BBQ for about only 20 seconds each side( I bash mine pretty thin). Take off and rest for a minute or two. When you make it right I prefer it over fillet.

Also when cooking steak leave it out of the fridge and let come to room temperature before cooking. You will get a much more tender, evenly cooked piece of steak this way.

I buy virgin heart smart beef, it comes as a roasting cut, about $10-15pkg

Very clean, i then throw it in the slow cooker and leave it for 4hrs or so,

Then cut it into 250g (approx) pieces , i usaully get 5 ,

Because it was cooked in the slow cooker even cold it falls to bits its so soft,

I do every sunday morning as well as 10 chicken breasts, these just with alittle garlic salt in the oven,

Saves alot of time during the more busy week, and is more cost effective then steaks.

I still like a nice fillet or porterhouse steak tho

It took me a few tries to find this farm that delivers to my door but its A grade stuff, grass fed mince $9/kg hormone, antibiotic free etc, also they have T-bone for $16/kg and I believe their eye fillet was $21 but dont quote me on the last price.
Grass fed beef is so much better than grain fed, there is a good article on it over at IA here Corn fed Beef anyone? - Iron Addicts Forums

Yeah I don't totally buy into the grass fed beef thing and I grow grass fed beef. Its largely another marketing tool.

I read a few paragraphs of that article and I can tell you a lot of it is not true or exaggerated greatly.

Do you honestly think there is no difference between wollies meat and organic/free range meat?

Yeah I don't totally buy into the grass fed beef thing and I grow grass fed beef. Its largely another marketing tool.

I read a few paragraphs of that article and I can tell you a lot of it is not true or exaggerated greatly.

All you have to do is simply look at what happens when humans/animals turn away from diets they are supposed to eat.

Cows eat grass not corn... There is Alot of research into the fatty acid disposition of animals regarding their diet.

Only as healthy as what you ate ate...

Hi All. Jazz here. I handle the social media for Super Butcher. I got an alert as Super Butcher was mentioned in this thread.

You might be interested in this comment from this weeks Super Butcher newsletter:

"Make sure your freezer is starting to get empty because a WAVE of Beef is about to hit the market. With a six week Christmas shutdown and four weeks of flood disruption, the NSW and Queensland's "Export Beef Abattoirs" are back in full production and last week they produced the most amount of Beef EVER!! The great news is we are going to see falling Beef prices so get ready for some great deals coming up." -Andrew

Also usually at some stage in winter is when Super Butcher does THE eye fillet deal: Buy two eye fillets and get three for free.

Out of interest, what other meats do you like to eat? If I know what your after I can pop by and let you know when it comes on special.

Cheers,
Jazz.

All you have to do is simply look at what happens when humans/animals turn away from diets they are supposed to eat.

Cows eat grass not corn... There is Alot of research into the fatty acid disposition of animals regarding their diet.

Only as healthy as what you ate ate...

Noobs I'm not getting into another organic/grass feed/corn/what ever other bullshit is trendy at the time argument with ya.

But the problem here is much of the information out there about organic, grass fed or what ever is just plain lies or exaggerated, like that article that was posted.

Most people here just churn out the organic or grass fed marketing with no bloody clue to what they are actually talking about or if even what they are saying is even true.

Intersting alerts you must get there Jazz.

I buy a little formt he super butcher ar eagle farm I get rumps, porterhouse, ribfillet, rib on the bone, eye fillet, and a bit of game meat from there...
Id be keen if you could alert me when meat is near expiry and reduced to clear . that woudl deffintily interest me.

Noobs I'm not getting into another organic/grass feed/corn/what ever other bullshit is trendy at the time argument with ya.

But the problem here is much of the information out there about organic, grass fed or what ever is just plain lies or exaggerated, like that article that was posted.

Most people here just churn out the organic or grass fed marketing with no bloody clue to what they are actually talking about or if even what they are saying is even true.

Just curious since your a farmer and you have such great knowledge, if you were to feed your cows horse shit would the meat still have the same content of vitamins and minerals?

Just curious since your a farmer and you have such great knowledge, if you were to feed your cows horse shit would the meat still have the same content of vitamins and minerals?

I can see this post is going to turn into a very intelligent discussion.

cattle are fed corn in the us because it is a common, high-yield crop there. i grew up on a cattle farm and as far as i know, every farmer only fed their cattle grass or hay.

also, hormones have been illegal to give to cattle for decades.

grass-fed/hormone-free is a marketing gimmick in australia.

I can see this post is going to turn into a very intelligent discussion.

I think you work for woolworths...

The point I am trying to make is you can't make gold out of shit...

"The recommended ratio of omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3 fatty acids should be less than 4:1. Grain-fed beef can have ratios that exceed 20:1 ratio, whereas grass-fed beef has a ratio of around 3:1. Grass-fed products are rich in all the fats now proven to be health-enhancing, but low in the fats that have been linked to ill-health and disease."

I will link the study when I get home.

Diets high in omega 6 have caused a whole host of diseases. But I guess you disagree with that too?

We have as a human race caused all these diseases through fucking with our food and processing... Example - feed cows corn (cheaper) than grass...

But you disagree with that too?

The lack of intelligence is already showing mate.

I live in a small hippy town in S.E Queensland. You can get any produce here free
range and organic. The food looks better, smells better and tastes better and best of all, I'm not eating all the crap that is stored in the mass produced animal fat.

Maybe you (being a farmer) are not the best person to be having this argument with as you may have a reason to say "organic meat/veg is the same"