• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Food for the day after

Riddles

OK, just so you know I've read the threads about workouts and meal timing but this is a bit different.

I'm a noob that is gradually lifting heavier and yes, the shit is getting heavy (at least for me). I'm finding that after a good workout of a big lift such as squats I feel very fatigued. Now I take it this is normal and I'll have a decent feed after the workout normally as dinner as I train mostly in the evening.

But even after a good meal and sleep I am still feeling the need to feed myself the day afterwards. This is hard to describe and not the same as hunger, but almost a craving for nutrients as well as a fatigue (but not soreness). Now if I continue to fuel myself now, will it benefit strength gains and recovery? Or will it likely just be excess calories if I don't also train that day?

I don't want to get fat you know.

this is normal.. when you do exercise, you get hungry :D

count calories over the week
recovery happens the next day too.
just eat as per normal

Fuck yeah lift+eat+sleep=profit.

Somedays I just stop counting and embrace the good old 'see' food diet.

Its a tried an true bulking method.

It's pretty hard to get fat from eating healthy, fresh foods. Don't forget to drink lots of water - not only is it good for you, a glass before each meal helps reduce the need to eat more than you really need.

It's pretty hard to get fat from eating healthy, fresh foods. Don't forget to drink lots of water - not only is it good for you, a glass before each meal helps reduce the need to eat more than you really need.

Healthy fresh food has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you eat over maintenance cals you gain weight regardless of the type of food.

Nuts and fruit which fall into the healthy food bracket are very calorie dense. Fruit in particular is loaded with sugars.

I do agree with you that a diet of fresh whole foods is good but those foods can make you fat the same as shit processed foods.

Hunger is a good sign. A sign that you have worked your body well and your body needs nutrients to grow. Within reason a good appetite is probably one of the better signals.

If you're doing nothing but have a strong appetite, that may not be good.

You can micro analyse it all you like but I never met anyone who gained weight by eating fresh fruit, vegies and lean meat. I bet you haven't, either.

You can micro analyse it all you like but I never met anyone who gained weight by eating fresh fruit, vegies and lean meat. I bet you haven't, either.

My mistake I didn't realise the calorie content of a food magically changed because it grew on a tree or in the ground.

My mistake I didn't realise the calorie content of a food magically changed because it grew on a tree or in the ground.

I suspect the increased fiber and protein content of a lot of 'natural' foods contributes somewhat to satiety... I'm a lot more satisfied by a couple of steaks than a pizza, or by a couple of apples than a bag of sweets.

I suspect the increased fiber and protein content of a lot of 'natural' foods contributes somewhat to satiety... I'm a lot more satisfied by a couple of steaks than a pizza, or by a couple of apples than a bag of sweets.

Fuck all protein in an apple, plenty of sugar and carbs no different to having a 'sweet' accept it grew on a tree.

I concede what your saying about protein dense food filling you up but at the end of the day if you aren't counting you have no idea.

I pretty much only eat healthy whole foods with no or minimal gluten or processed food and when I go on a binge I can do 5000 cal easy. I gorge on watermelon, yoghurt a shitload of beef roast chicken, some whole cream milk, grapes, roast veg I eat the fucking house down, you guys think I wouldn't get fat if I did that all the time just cause its healthy whole food?

you guys think I wouldn't get fat if I did that all the time just cause its healthy whole food?

no... But if you were to include Bagels, Chocolate, Icecream and Soda i'm sure you could make that binge 10K+ calories pretty easily.

I've worked out my highest ever calorie day at well over 20K calories, I just dont think i could eat that much whole food...

wow is it possible for the body to process that many calories? or would a lot of it get shitted out?

My understanding is...

Calories ( fat /protein/carbs ) do not bypass digestion... Your body has to do something with the calories... Excess is stored as fat for later...

That's why we have fat people...

Unlike micros which can bypass digestion... As the body only takes what it needs...

Not true. If you have a decent appetite you can easily get fat from eating healthy.

People also go on about healthy foods filling you up and not being addictive like junk food supposedly is. Bullshit, you must be just eating shit tasting foods. Grapes, nuts I can't stop eating that shit.

Then what do you define as healthy. I am assuming meat is considered healthy but what about skin. Chicken skin, pork crackle. It's natural, from a animal, just has heaps of calories.

My understanding is...

Calories ( fat /protein/carbs ) do not bypass digestion... Your body has to do something with the calories... Excess is stored as fat for later...

Unlike micros which can bypass digestion... As the body only takes what it needs...

not necessarily true. the body definitely excretes fat in some cases. for example, poor bioavailability of calories from fat in almonds means that the number of calories your body gets from almonds is not equivalent to the number of calories available from almonds in a calorimeter (Role of cell walls in the bioaccessibility of... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI). there's also the excess consumption of food types contributing to laxative effects which reduce the uptake of nutrients and hence calories.

also, in terms of the body not absorbing nutrients it doesn't need, there is such a thing as vitamin poisoning (Vitamin poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) though i think it would take a lot of work to get there.

the whole "calories are calories no matter where they come" from argument is great, but it does really reject the fact that there's more to food than just calories. watching you guys argue when both sides are right brings the lols...

1) yes: calorie deficit is all that matters for weight loss.

2) yes: getting your calories from more traditional food sources which are typically but not always less calorie dense is probably going to make compliance with a calorie restricted diet easier than if you're getting your calories from more modern sources which are typically but not always more calorie dense.

My understanding is...

I must be having a tired morning, it took me three tries to not read that as 'Excess fat is stored as butter' :)

2) yes: getting your calories from more traditional food sources which are typically but not always less calorie dense is probably going to make compliance with a calorie restricted diet easier than if you're getting your calories from more modern sources which are typically but not always more calorie dense.

Compliance is compliance. Do what you can to make a diet easier to stick to. Like you said sticking to traditional food sources will probably make the siet easier to stick to an extent but its a very individual thing. Often avoiding the foods you really enjoy and only eating clean type foods is what leads to massive diet blowouts where you pig out on foods you have been missing out on.

My favorite trick when cutting is too make sure I allow enough calories for some ice cream or another sweet every night for dessert. Definitely not a natural food and definitely calorie dense but something about finishing the day off with a nice dessert kills any late night cravings and makes it feel like I'm not dieting or missing out on food I like.

if excess fat was stored for later.... Then on a big re feed day.... that would suggest any extra fat for the day is going to well... FAT.

i though it was layed out that fat dosent make you fat, To many caloires over all does.

So if you did have a big re reed day or just binged for the weekend, and then ate under maint for the rest of the week. You are infact not in a deficit.... beacsue you ate 3 days of food in 1 sitting, THen conticued to eat as per normal. OVer all you cals would be higher.

This is why i think i will count my 2000 cals each and every day. No re feeds, No cheats.

if that mean i want 2000 cals of ice cream and chips for the day.. Then thats thats.

not necessarily true. the body definitely excretes fat in some cases. for example, poor bioavailability of calories from fat in almonds means that the number of calories your body gets from almonds is not equivalent to the number of calories available from almonds in a calorimeter

Thanks March,

You could say the same thing about all carbs from fibre... However these do not digest... rather they pass straight through...

I find with issues like this its best not to overthink things...
If your body digests a calorie it has to use that calorie...

And thats why fat people store 'Excess fat as butter' (@Nightfalltech)

if excess fat was stored for later.... Then on a big re feed day.... that would suggest any extra fat for the day is going to well... FAT.

Fat is your friend... Your body is constantly adding and removing fat stores... This is your body doing its job...

Think of this... If you don't eat for the next 24 hours will you die?

No because you body stores up fat which it uses as energy to keep your bodily functions ticking along...