• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fuckarounditis

Martin provides some very good points.

However, the whole squat-deadlift saga comes across as a bit dogmatic. If mass and strength are your ultimate goals, then they NEED to be in your program. Week in, week out. No questions. Not everyone has the same goals though.

I've squatted and deadlifted my entire training career. I love them. I have reduced the volume over the last few years as they definitely thicken the waist, hips and glutes. To the point of severely creating an inbalance between my lower and upper body. That's a testament to the power of these two compounds. Now I naturally started out with thick wheels, and I basically only need to do 3-4 sets of squats and 3-4 sets of deads a week to maintain my mass and strength. Any more and they get out of control. However, if your wheels are naturally skinny and you don't have much of a waist - get to it. :D

I wouldn't say that you need to squat or deadlift if mass / aesthetics are your main goals and to some extent it doesn't matter for strength either

I wouldn't say that you need to squat or deadlift if mass / aesthetics are your main goals and to some extent it doesn't matter for strength either

Don't make me all disagreeable on your ass again...

Last edited:
Martin provides some very good points.

However, the whole squat-deadlift saga comes across as a bit dogmatic. If mass and strength are your ultimate goals, then they NEED to be in your program. Week in, week out. No questions. Not everyone has the same goals though.

I've squatted and deadlifted my entire training career. I love them. I have reduced the volume over the last few years as they definitely thicken the waist, hips and glutes. To the point of severely creating an inbalance between my lower and upper body. That's a testament to the power of these two compounds. Now I naturally started out with thick wheels, and I basically only need to do 3-4 sets of squats and 3-4 sets of deads a week to maintain my mass and strength. Any more and they get out of control. However, if your wheels are naturally skinny and you don't have much of a waist - get to it. :D

Just to test Martin's theory though, what are your current lifts? And are you happy with your physique?

The article/blog is based on people who have fuckarounditis, the first definition being:

"Fuckarounditis is a behavioral disorder characterized by a mediocre physique and complete lack of progress, despite significant amounts of time spent in the gym. "

He then goes on to say that this "mediocre physique and complete lack of progress" stems from people being weak (see the "I See Weak People" bit).

He then says how important squats & DL's are to overcome being weak, and notes a number of excuses weak people use for not doing deadlifts/squats, and specifically states that if you do the rest of his program too then then you should be in proportion.

I understand your criticism but I don't think it's applicable as the article is not for people who are happy with their physique at all (or strong), unless it's as a warning. The way I read it is if you are strong an happy then you can change what you like.

That's fine but he's all about getting lean mass, and he's saying "don't whinge about not improving your physique if you aren't even squatting and DL'ing".

Looking at some of his pictures I'm not sure I like HIS physiqe that much, but jesus he's lean and looks good for someone who does 3 days a week and only 6 exercises.

Don't make me all disagreeable on your ass again...

That's fine but he's all about getting lean mass, and he's saying "don't whinge about not improving your physique if you aren't even squatting and DL'ing".

Looking at some of his pictures I'm not sure I like HIS physiqe that much, but jesus he's lean and looks good for someone who does 3 days a week and only 6 exercises.

This guy doesn't squat or deadlift (Victor Konovalov)
victor.jpg

Rahman Siamand bench pressed 290kg despite being in a wheelchair having never squatted or deadlifted

Squat vs. Leg Press for Big Legs | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

"First and foremost, while I’m sure my answer will offend the hardcore/hardheaded lifters, there is no requirement to perform squats (back or front) to build big legs (or even build leg strength)."

I know you love your squats and deadlifts, but they are not needed! Deal with it

Last edited:
victor.jpg

Rahman Siamand bench pressed 290kg despite being in a wheelchair having never squatted or deadlifted

Squat vs. Leg Press for Big Legs | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

"First and foremost, while I’m sure my answer will offend the hardcore/hardheaded lifters, there is no requirement to perform squats (back or front) to build big legs (or even build leg strength)."

I know you love your squats and deadlifts, but they are not needed! Deal with it

Find a big, muscly, lean guy who is weak, and use him to argue against the article.

Just to test Martin's theory though, what are your current lifts? And are you happy with your physique?

Yeah, phsyique is pretty good. Not as lean as I should be at the moment, but nothing to do with squats or deads. That's inconsistent training/niggles/diet.

Lifts are average from a numerical stand point at the moment because of the nature of my training program. I'm combining strength, power and endurance and cardio. Plenty of super sets and plyometric stuff.

Ie; 130kg squats x10, followed by jump squats then resisted bunji-sprints. Reapeat. I rarely do anything under 4RM, except for deads as a test of strength. I also don't squat full depth, because I need my power in a certain ROM so I train accordingly.

Lifting is a high individual thing. I'm not disagreeing with Martin, he always generally makes valid points. But i'm not a fan of dogmatism. And yes, i've seen a lot of people that fuck around. I've been in and out of gyms for 11+ years. I've seen a lot of people come in year in year out doing the same thing and looking the same. In this regard, I agree with him. Excuses rule their lives. However, a lot of these people after seeing their nutrition program - not even the heaviest dead lifts or squats would fix their physique. Never underestimate the power of nutrition and calories.

Last edited:
Lol,That's messed up and funny at the same time.

victor.jpg

Yeah, phsyique is pretty good. Not as lean as I should be at the moment, but nothing to do with squats or deads. That's inconsistent training/niggles/diet.

Lifts are average from a numerical stand point at the moment because of the nature of my training program. I'm combining strength, power and endurance and cardio. Plenty of super sets and plyometric stuff.

Ie; 130kg squats x10, followed by jump squats then resisted bunji-sprints. Reapeat. I rarely do anything under 4RM, except for deads as a test of strength. I also don't squat full depth, because I need my power in a certain ROM so I train accordingly.

Lifting is a high individual thing. I'm not disagreeing with Martin, he always generally makes valid points. But i'm not a fan of dogmatism. And yes, i've seen a lot of people that fuck around. I've been in and out of gyms for 11+ years. I've seen a lot of people come in year in year out doing the same thing and looking the same. In this regard, I agree with him. Excuses rule their lives. However, a lot of these people after seeing their nutrition program - not even the heaviest dead lifts or squats would fix their physique. Never underestimate the power of nutrition and calories.

Totally agree with your point re: dogmatism. A lot of people read about something or come up with an idea and just stick to it flat out and argue it to be true whether they see the benefit in other peoples points of view or not.

"You MUST do full barbell squats and deads to get big/strong/lean/muscly" is a ridiculous statement as it can never be proven, but it's controversial/inflamatory enough to get people reading the blog, spread the link, start discussion and get people defending/argung against it.

A statement such as "If you aren't progressing maybe try squats and deads" is hard to argue against but doesn't stimulate much though or get page clicks.

I also don't squat full depth, because I need my power in a certain ROM so I train accordingly.

I hope you break parallel. And for your information, a full ROM will always be better for power development regardless of what ROM you need the power in. As a cyclist I have a very, very small ROM when partaking in my sport and yet powersnatches are pretty much the best exercise I can do. Doing an ass to grass back squat will produce far more power than a parallel squat with 20% more weight