• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Geared lifting

Johnnie Walker

Borderline Kunce
Think i might end up going the geared lifting route, seeing im already geared up.. Get it?

Do you wait till your as strong as you can be raw, then gear up? Or do you do it from the start? I have no idea..

Also are geared lifters stronger? That may sound stupid but i was thnking along the lines of how much weight they are supporting (before a movement). Obviously more kg on your back, more on your forearms in the bench etc. surely this has some carry over?

I wouldn't get into gear until your strong - at least 700 total if your 90+

Geared lifters are not always stronger than raw lifters, quite often it's the opposite.

define "strong" a geared lifter who squats a thousand pounds might only squat 300ish raw, so thry are not as strong raw as someone who swuats 310,but the guy who squats 310 raw might only squat 350 in gear, maybe 380-400 after a fair bit of training. if the geared lifter trained raw for a while they would become very strong raw but would not be as strong in the gear. use Brandon Lilly as an example, few years agohe totalled 2600+ in multiply, now hes close to 2300 raw.

geared lifters are strong in gear because thats the way they train, if they switch to raw they very quickly become very strong raw, because they were very strong already, but trained differently.

epic rant over.

I don't necessarily agree with Scott that you need to be strong first. I'd squatted 240 in wraps, benched 120ish and pulled 230 raw before i put the gear on. I now squat 400 equipped, bench 190-200 and pull about 245. I'm by no means strong raw but I have a goal and I chose to chase that goal.

If you want to compete in gear for a long time why not practice your sport? The mistake I made was neglecting my raw strength while I continued to get stronger (or better?) in the gear. If I could start everything again I wouldn't change when I got in the gear but I would have not neglected my raw strength as much.

PTC Canberra
http://www.ptccanberra.com.au

I don't necessarily agree with Scott that you need to be strong first. I'd squatted 240 in wraps, benched 120ish and pulled 230 raw before i put the gear on. I now squat 400 equipped, bench 190-200 and pull about 245. I'm by no means strong raw but I have a goal and I chose to chase that goal.

If you want to compete in gear for a long time why not practice your sport? The mistake I made was neglecting my raw strength while I continued to get stronger (or better?) in the gear. If I could start everything again I wouldn't change when I got in the gear but I would have not neglected my raw strength as much.

PTC Canberra
http://www.ptccanberra.com.au

My personal opinion having never competed equipped and have no real plan to compete equipped :p

Movement patterns are important. I think putting a novice in a leviathan and getting them to squat in full gear woul;d be pretty stupid, you need to build up a base of strength first for sure. If I decided to go equipped right now, I'd probably just wear groove briefs and one of the slingshots that Titan make until I am familiar with the movements

Then as I got stronger like this, I'd add wraps, move to a loose bench shirt, then add the squat suit with the straps down, then straps up. Bench suit would come last. I'd progress to this over the period of 2 years and at least 6 months in just the briefs and slingshot

lmao
keep dreaming

Keep dreaming what? A year or 2 maybe more clearly implies i dont know how long its gona take, could be a while. And tbh despite your massive head start will probably get there before you as i will always have the ability to be twice your size, half pint

My personal opinion having never competed equipped and have no real plan to compete equipped :p

Movement patterns are important. I think putting a novice in a leviathan and getting them to squat in full gear woul;d be pretty stupid, you need to build up a base of strength first for sure. If I decided to go equipped right now, I'd probably just wear groove briefs and one of the slingshots that Titan make until I am familiar with the movements

Then as I got stronger like this, I'd add wraps, move to a loose bench shirt, then add the squat suit with the straps down, then straps up. Bench suit would come last. I'd progress to this over the period of 2 years and at least 6 months in just the briefs and slingshot

This is kind of what i meant, do you buikd into it? Obviously not gona go put on a multiply badass squat suit, but do you start off in wraps..then add briefs etc etc

Using a slingshot on bench then moving up etc

Not even using a belt at the moment and only use my wraps on the leg press, not squated in them. Use wrist wraps alot as my wrists are shit and hurt

This is kind of what i meant, do you buikd into it? Obviously not gona go put on a multiply badass squat suit, but do you start off in wraps..then add briefs etc etc

Using a slingshot on bench then moving up etc

Yeah, getting technique is important first. A full squat suit I'd be surprised if you could get anywhere near parallel with the weights you use. The slingshot is called the "Titan RAM". Don't get the super RAM.

Plus you train alone, benching in a shirt is just plain wreckless. I've done some retarded borderline suicidal shit in the gym before when I am the only person in the gym but this would take the biscuit.

Almost no one squats in my gym, can just imagine standing there.. Wraps, muktiply suit, belt etc.. Looking like your about to ride into battle haha

Think i might end up going the geared lifting route, seeing im already geared up.. Get it?

Do you wait till your as strong as you can be raw, then gear up? Or do you do it from the start? I have no idea..

Also are geared lifters stronger? That may sound stupid but i was thnking along the lines of how much weight they are supporting (before a movement). Obviously more kg on your back, more on your forearms in the bench etc. surely this has some carry over?

THere is a skill component to equipped lifting and this can be developed at any stage. I also think that equipment can be effectively worked into training to help build strength in both raw and equipped. I had a conversation with a Russian caoch in Moscow last year and he said this as well- do both and each will improve the other.

Reactions: 0ni
THere is a skill component to equipped lifting and this can be developed at any stage. I also think that equipment can be effectively worked into training to help build strength in both raw and equipped. I had a conversation with a Russian caoch in Moscow last year and he said this as well- do both and each will improve the other.

That was what I was hoping :)