• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Getting Big Article Summary

correct, there are no absolutes when it comes to exercise.
Care to expand on that please. Exercise is a general term. Athletes in different sports train relative to their chosen sport. No one here is saying anything about absolute! Perhaps I'm misunderstanding both you and spartacus, hence I need an explanation of what it is that you are referring to.

yes, weightlifting has its very own specificity.

As for weightlifting, as you know, there is some variation with intensity for programs, say soviet v Bulgarian in 1980s.
Granted there are some differences , however the main aim of both (irrespective of nationalities) is to gain maximum neural-efficiency leading to maximum muscle fibre recruitment. One nation might have its lifters train 8 days per week, yet another has them training twice as much. Everything has to be balanced though, or your lifters will suffer.

Last edited:
I have observed so many train unorthodox over years to get great results, whether it be light weights or just doing bodyweight stuff.

I used to think bill stellios was a freak, and then I met one bb and watched him do a 90cm standing vertical first time doing general bb training.

There are so many variables with strength training, and a decent sports physiology book will admit that debate is still out in terms of knowing exactly best way to train.

I have observed so many train unorthodox over years to get great results, whether it be light weights or just doing bodyweight stuff.

I used to think bill stellios was a freak, and then I met one bb and watched him do a 90cm standing vertical first time doing general bb training.

There are so many variables with strength training, and a decent sports physiology book will admit that debate is still out in terms of knowing exactly best way to train.
Yes, I have seen unorthodox (and sometimes stupid) as well, but I'm not talking about individual athletes amongst many. You're always gonna have these athletes in any sport I'm sure.

in other words, in many sports, people can train in a number of ways, and still get similar results.

For power and strength, as article suggests, there is no single best way to gain these vital ingredients. Muscle fibre can be worked in a variety of ways.

I see most sports as skill and conditioning. whatever the sport, try and keep exercise relevant and specific, but there are a lot of options out there to get desired result.

for example, while I have never been a super athlete, my best ever power results occurred after a 6 month period training for 20 minutes at Findlays supersetting nautilus les press and leg extension, say 20 reps each.

Other times, I have got results from Olympic lifting training, and even bb leg training.

The only way a program can truly be matched to an individual would require the individual to get a muscle biopsy done in conjunction with other tests like VO2 max etc.....or spend your whole life training with maximum weights only to have the autopsy reveal that you should have been a badminton player.

Care to expand on that please. Exercise is a general term. Athletes in different sports train relative to their chosen sport. No one here is saying anything about absolute! Perhaps I'm misunderstanding both you and spartacus, hence I need an explanation of what it is that you are referring to.

my take on the whole thing in simple terms are;

* exercises are chosen to develop and strengthen the particular areas of the body in the chosen sport
* training is used to enhance/improve/maintain the skill of the player

your use of the term "metabolic" confuses me, can you give an example of what sort of exercise template could be used here?

The only way a program can truly be matched to an individual would require the individual to get a muscle biopsy done in conjunction with other tests like VO2 max etc.....or spend your whole life training with maximum weights only to have the autopsy reveal that you should have been a badminton player.

yes, true, but one of my favourite movies is Gattaca.

I always liked sports where I had little talent in, especially sprinting.

my take on the whole thing in simple terms are;

* exercises are chosen to develop and strengthen the particular areas of the body in the chosen sport
* training is used to enhance/improve/maintain the skill of the player

Beautifully put; that is pretty much my view.

Sport is quite basic. You only have to read the training programs of great athletes, and you realise that what they do is nothing special.

They just get into a mode, have great talent, and then reap the rewards.

Granted there are some differences , however the main aim of both (irrespective of nationalities) is to gain maximum neural-efficiency leading to maximum muscle fibre recruitment. One nation might have its lifters train 8 days per week, yet another has them training twice as much. Everything has to be balanced though, or your lifters will suffer.

The safest and most efficient way to recruit maximum muscle recruitment on a given exercise is to place the muscle firstly into a pre-stretched position