• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hack Squats

Dinkoz

Ok guys,

Going to go back on the PTC program again as ever since Xmas and my hospital visit I haven't been following a plan.

Now, my gym has a smith machine no free weight barbell. Apparently it's for some legal safety thing as it's 24/7. Has dumbells that go up to 40kg, and EZ curl bars.

I don't really want to squat on the smith machine, and squatting dumbells will be easy very soon (40kgx2=80kg) so I'm thinking of hack squatting with the EZ curl bar.

What I want to know is, is the hack squat focusing on different muscle groups differently rather then a traditional squat? Would this be ok, or would you suggest squatting on the smith machine, gahh :(

A gym that doesn't let you free weight squat is not a gym. Stop looking for space age alternatives and go somewhere that is.

I've been following the Dorian Yates training program that was featured on bb.cum for a while now an it uses hack squats.

I find them very good as u can concentrate on a good solid deep stetching and squeezing of the quads safely. They seem to be good, that being said I dont imagine u use as many supporting muscle groups on a hack squat compared to a bb squat.

U can only work with what u got available as well

Ill try hack squats for a while and see how they go, I had a look into those zercher squats, interesting... :)

Afterall squatting is better then not squatting at all right?

Yeah exactly
If worse comes to worst you can do u unilateral squat variations with DBs eg reverse lunges w/front foot on a block, Bulgarian split squats

Would zercher squats on the smith be very effective?
I know nothing compares to free weight, but you get my point.
I'm still looking for something that won't cut out lower back completely, such as those smith squats where you stand in front of the bar and lean back into it

:)

F*ck leg press off

Would zercher squats on the smith be very effective?
I know nothing compares to free weight, but you get my point.
I'm still looking for something that won't cut out lower back completely, such as those smith squats where you stand in front of the bar and lean back into it

:)

Use the Z bar brother

hack squats with your toes pointing slightly outward and go deep as hell, no excuses on the hack squat machine, doing this i find you can seriously smash your quads.
Kevin Levrone has some really good tips on hack squats on his youtube chanel.
Have fun :)
p.s join a gym with squat rack, you cant dead,squat,mp at yours which is shit

Thanks for the input guys :)

I know I should join another gym, its more of a fitness studio I guess, but I'm in the middle of choosing to relocate, and I think after that I will be going the home gym way and getting my own rack. I will stick with what I have got at the moment :)

i found hack squats puts too much pressure on my knees and it stuffed my left knee. I mean my knees r stuffed anyway so I go to the physio but the hack squats made the problem worse where as normal squats were fine.