• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hand Grippers

Peterpack

Not much in the way of Hand gripper on the Australian market

Does anyone have any of the better hand grippers ? Captains of Crush, Robert Baraban etc

I ordered the captains from the states, you can buy them here but even when I factored in postage they were cheaper, something like $35 each... I got 1, 2, 2.5 & 3.

The strength they build doesn't translate to deadlifting (well not much) or static holds. Closing them the way most do only really works the pinky/ring fingers, too.

They are good for boasting and competing with your mates but I don't think they are great for much else, and this goes for all spring based tools. As you compress a spring it gets harder to close, so the max resistance is at the very end when the handles are almost touching, before that there's not too much.

I can close up to the 2.5 but not the 3.......... been trying for a while but it is a car spring. I found 70% of guys can't close the 1 and probably 99% of guys can't close to 2 without training for it. I guess they are better than nothing but I'll probably stop training with them once I get the 3, they are hard on my joints.

Second the Captains of crush grippers, have had mine for ages, have not used them for a while, might get back into them, used to use them in the car while sitting at lights driving to work.

Yes have had some guys at work play with them and most can not close the number 1. I think I have the trainer, 1, 2 and 3.

Here are mine hanging on the Gym wall in my old home gym.

100_6797.jpg

EDIT:
The best fun is to pull out two of them when at work or when with mates, the trainer and number 2, rep out a few reps with the trainer, then when other say,'give me a go' pass them the number 2 while still cranking out reps with the trainer, they won't be able to move the number 2 and they will be starting to think you have super human grip strength, will take them a while to work out if you are smart about it.

Last edited:
If you're not going to be doing comps with the COC's then get a set of heavy grips from eBay for $60-$70.

If you get 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 grippers you should be set.

I'm about 4mm from closing on the 250 which is in between a COC 2.5 and a COC 3. Have closed a friends COC 2.5 but it was fairly used and lost a bit of spring.

The strength they build doesn't translate to deadlifting (well not much) or static holds. Closing them the way most do only really works the pinky/ring fingers, too.

Joe do you like using them for reps? I'll do 3-5 closes with the 200 and then rep out the 150 and 100.

Also wouldn't mind getting that COC key that's around so I could measure progress.

I think one of the reasons I've stalled on them is the big jumps, even between the 2, 2.5 and the 3.

I tried doing 3 reps on the 2.5 for a while but got nowhere, every workout I did 3.

I can do the 2 about 8-10 times... The 1 is a waste of time, I can get well over 20.

I mainly just screw around now and do a failed attempt on the 3, 1-3 on the 2.5 and 5-8 on the 2. I think I built up strength best when I could do one for around 5 reps. I dont seem to make any progress these days but I dont take it seriously.

I ended up getting this

Robert Baraban Chrome Adjustable Hand Gripper 50/500lbs resistance grip strength | eBay

Not badly priced i thought

I like the idea of having something i can do whilst watching TV

I might even take it to work to use during lunchtime

That same seller had the ones I was talking about. $60 for ANY 4, and $70 for ANY 5...

Seems a bit pointless to have a gripper going all the way to 500lbs when there are only 5 people in the world that can close a COC No 4 (365lbs).

I got them more because you can go up in small increments whereas with 4 or 5 gripper set, it;s quite a big jump from one to another.

I didnt get them for the maximum :)

the captians of crunch are nice but rather expensive
Captains of Crush Grippers - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter

yang trading on ebay, similar (less knurling/slightly smoother) but half the price of the iron edge ones.

got 2 of the iron edge ones no1 and 1.5. then a a few from yang trading (100, 150lb and 200 lb). Still working on closing the 200lb ones more than twice in a row.
One at home one at work

Power Hand Grip-Cross Train Strength Fitness 100LB | eBay
Fitness and Sport items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

they also do some reasonably prices clubs _ have two of their 6kg
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Fitness-a...84005012&_sid=332700402&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Last edited:
Why don't you just save your money and start lifting heavy. That will build your grip strength quicker and better than these gimmicks. There are many smarter ways to increase grip strength whilst improving strength elsewhere in the body. Nothing gets you stronger at lifting heavy, than lifting heavy. A good program of deadlifts and chins will build grip strength quicker and stronger than watching TV while squeezing your gimmick.

There's a reason millions of these hand grips lay in cupboards gathering dust.... when the novelty wears off and the boredom sets in, you'll understand.

work physio set
one of the yang trading hand grips (100lb)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 25
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 25
Why don't you just save your money and start lifting heavy. That will build your grip strength quicker and better than these gimmicks. There are many smarter ways to increase grip strength whilst improving strength elsewhere in the body. Nothing gets you stronger at lifting heavy, than lifting heavy. A good program of deadlifts and chins will build grip strength quicker and stronger than watching TV while squeezing your gimmick.

There's a reason millions of these hand grips lay in cupboards gathering dust.... when the novelty wears off and the boredom sets in, you'll understand.

I got to agree I don't think the captains of crush have given me great useful strength and I am probably a lot stronger than 99.9% of people on them having closed the 2.5 fairly easily. I've been like 2mm off closing the 3. I don't do them while watching tv, I train them seriously, but I still feel they're a bit of a waste of time.

If what you want is strength that will help you deadlift 300kg without losing grip, or do weighted chins, then practise holding the bar with loads of weight after your working sets.

If you want finger strength for rock climbing or holding oddly shaped incredibly heavy shit get a finger board or some of these, they are really good: Metolius Rock Rings 3D, Training, www.pinnaclesports.com.au, Pinnacle Sports, Rock Climbing, Abseiling, Mountaineering, Pinnacle Sports, , Metolius