• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hard gainers

C

coop

I think thats what its called.

Anyone have any success with this method of less is more?

Its for those who seem to struggle to gain strength, apparently if u cut back your training, u get getter results. Its a genetic thing.

I'm finding it hard to try it as i feel crap if i miss days when i feel like going.

I get decent results body wise, but basically havent gained any strength in years.

Are you eating enough to fuel your workouts and pushing yourself hard?
Are you resting enough to recover.

Do you always try and improve your lifts for every single workout or just do the same reps and sets?

I think alot of it comes down to mental attitude.

If you had to set a personal best tomorrow, I think you could if your mind was set.

Take biceps for example as thats one where i can spot myself and really push hard, i cant get any stronger. Ive pushed very hard doing single arm curls, spotting myself when necessary, and i dont get any stronger. I'm told my arms are big, but i get the feeling if i can break through this strength problem, i could go to the next level.

Chin ups are another thing ive struggled to gain any strength from, in fact, i cant gain any strength with them at all. I do 3 sets and the first i can manage 6 rep, then the last two its 4 or 5 reps. After months of trying, i couldnt gain one bloody single rep.

If i train right, like u suggested, i get slight gains in dips, bench, dead lifts and leg press, but not arms, back or shoulders.

Thanks for your reply Hulk.

Im a hard gainer also. I find the only thing that helps is mixing it up exercise wise and weight wise go heavy sometimes go light but high reps. pyramiding is the best going from heavyiest to lightest or the other way around as long as the last set is to failure it seems to help. also rest alot. i am currently doing a 3 day split with sunday as a rest day so i do every exercise 2 times a week. hope that helps i feel your pain

coop, if you are just looking at increasing your number of pull ups then get yourself a chin up bar for home. Whenever you walk past it just do some chin ups but not to fatigue. If you do this every time you walk past it for a few weeks I guarantee you will at least double your number of chin ups in a set. This is similar to Spetsnaz training. My mate in particular bought himself a chin up bar at home and did this. Went from 10 pullups (over hand grip) to 30 in a few weeks/ a month. Not sure on the exact timing cos I wasn't paying attention, but I was once he busted out 30 in one set at the gym though!

chinups are hard to progress with , curls are not what you should be concentrating on.
heavy compound movement , good diet and enough rest , that is as simple as that.

Coop, are you getting bigger?

When i want to gain size i increase my food intake and i gain pretty quick, but more fat than i would like comes along for the ride. When i eat better, i dont gain a lot of size, but i shape up well.

Been getting a spot during chin ups lately and i feel im starting to gain some strength with it. Ive gone from 6 reps to 9, which is something i guess. Its coming along slowly, but at least its a mini breakthrough.

I cant gauge shoulder press as i now get terrible pain doing it, so i have to give it a miss. Really weird, i get pain doing shoulder press, incline press and slight (but bearable) pain on flat bench, but absolutley zero pain doing any other excercise.

coop , you have to check on this pain , be careful when doing bench press as it might , depends on your form , put your shoulder in disadvantage position.

listen to your body, your not going to gain anything if you consistently train with high intensity. my OPPINION would be to lessen the weights and go for the pump effect doin same weights per rep/set/week . use 10 -12 weight range for reps, even if you have to deload. This is what im currently doing and its working slowly and gradually maximising my bench, squats and deadlifts. consistency is KING!.