• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help Adjusting Diet

BigJim

Hey guys,

Just wondering if i can get some advice in making some changes to my diet. Here is EVERYTHING i ate yesterday. I pretty much eat exactly this except might mix it up with eggs/omelet for dinner or salad instead of vegies etc but this is pretty much it:

2 Eggs – Cal294 Pro19.1 F24.2g Carb0.4
1 Rash Bacon - Cal114 Pro15.7 F5.5 Carb0.5
300mL Skim milk – Cal105 Pro10.5 F0.3 Carb14.7
30g WPI Cal135 Pro31.9 F0.3 Carb0.6

Apple - Cal68 Pro0.4 F0 Carb14.6

Half potato - Cal20 Pro1.2 F0 Carb5.6
1 carrot – Cal27 Pro0.7 F0.1 Carb4.1
half cup peas - Cal44 Pro3.6 F0.3 Carb4.8
200g steak – Cal354 Pro63 F11 Carb0

Banana – Cal99 Pro1.9 F0.1 Carb21.8

75g nuts – Cal446 Pro17.6 F36.9 Carb9.9

Half potato - Cal20 Pro1.2 F0 Carb5.6
1 carrot - Cal27 Pro0.7 F0.1 Carb4.1
half cup peas - Pro3.6 F0.3 Carb4.8
200g chicken breast – Cal330 Pro62 F7.1 Carb0

300mL Skim milk – Cal105 Pro10.5 F0.3 Carb14.7
30g WPI Cal135 Pro31.9 F0.3 Carb0.6

Total
Cal 2367, Pro 275.5g, Fat 86.8g, Carb 106.8g

This is pretty much what i have eaten everyday (minus cheat days) for the last 5 months and has worked really well seeing me lose 23kg. Now i need to try and get the calories down but still keep the protein up and was wondering what i can do to do this? I am basing this on the bodyweight(pounds) x 10 so 270 x 10 = 2700calories. Note than when i started this diet i was eating ~2300calories instead of 3200 going by the bodyweight x 10 method and consistently lost 1kg+ per week.

The only obvious thing i can see here is to drop the peanuts as they are high in all departments, i did read somewhere they where good to eat because they are hard and make your metabolism work for longer but i might have misinterpreted that?

Appreciate your advice fellas,

James.

I would drop the milk personally. I have lost 11kg in about 9 weeks. I stagnated for 2 weeks in the middle and all I did was drop Milk and it kick started the weight loss again.

This is pretty much what i have eaten everyday (minus cheat days) for the last 5 months and has worked really well seeing me lose 23kg. Now i need to try and get the calories down -
If it's working, why would you change it?

If you must drop something, drop one or two of your protein scoops. At 270lbs your are 122kg, and having 275g protein daily, which is 2.25g/kg. The AIS recommends 1.2-2g/kg for muscle gain, so that's 146-244g protein daily. So you can safely drop a couple of the protein scoops.

I don't know your height or frame size so I can't say if you're overfat. But if you are, then you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - your bodyfat makes up for the caloric deficit. And you can do that on the lower
range of the protein.

For example (as best I remember, I lost my files with the figures), in January 2009 I had a 97cm waist to go with my 100cm chest at 83.6kg and 26-27% bodyfat. Up till July I was at a slight caloric deficit, consumed 100-120g protein daily (1.2-1.5g/kg), went down to 14% bodyfat and 78kg. So I had lost 10-11kg fat and gained 5-6kg muscle and bone.

Again, if your current diet is getting you the results you want, don't change a thing - but if you have to change, drop the protein powders. I say this because if you ever drop something, first choose junk food and booze, and next choose anything that costs a lot of money and/or isn't a normal food. And you don't need all that protein anyway, most will be pooed away.

If it's working, why would you change it?

If you must drop something, drop one or two of your protein scoops. At 270lbs your are 122kg, and having 275g protein daily, which is 2.25g/kg. The AIS recommends 1.2-2g/kg for muscle gain, so that's 146-244g protein daily. So you can safely drop a couple of the protein scoops.

I don't know your height or frame size so I can't say if you're overfat. But if you are, then you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - your bodyfat makes up for the caloric deficit. And you can do that on the lower
range of the protein.

For example (as best I remember, I lost my files with the figures), in January 2009 I had a 97cm waist to go with my 100cm chest at 83.6kg and 26-27% bodyfat. Up till July I was at a slight caloric deficit, consumed 100-120g protein daily (1.2-1.5g/kg), went down to 14% bodyfat and 78kg. So I had lost 10-11kg fat and gained 5-6kg muscle and bone.

Again, if your current diet is getting you the results you want, don't change a thing - but if you have to change, drop the protein powders. I say this because if you ever drop something, first choose junk food and booze, and next choose anything that costs a lot of money and/or isn't a normal food. And you don't need all that protein anyway, most will be pooed away.

I forget to put in that i am 6'2/3. 22 years old (today!) and here is a pic of when i weighed 142.6kg on the left and 126.8kg on the right.

frontkn.jpg

I think it would be a good idea to lose the shakes like a couple of you have suggested. That also sees a reduction of ~480 calories.

My question then is what should i be eating about 8:30pm before bed at 9:30-10:00pm. Im sure going from 6:00pm until 6:00am without eating wouldnt be such a good idea.

Some fruit or vegies.

A more fibrous one rather than a watery one will keep you full for longer. For example, apple better than orange, banana better than apple; broccoli better than spinach, etc.

Again, if you are still getting results from your current diet, and if you feel energetic and happy, stick with it, don't change at all.

Happy birthday, too.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good idea to lose the shakes like a couple of you have suggested. That also sees a reduction of ~480 calories.

Sorry BigJim, but if there was a word in your post about exercise then I must have missed it. The sentence you wrote above suggests to me that you're actually happy about further reduction in calories; I’d be furious if I was you mate. Always remember something and that is cutting on calories is cutting on energy, energy you need not just to put some real effort into your workout, but energy just to stay sane and on top of things in your every day activities.

Another thing that might happen here and especially now that you've lost 23kg, is that weight loss slows down...and the more calories you cut the slower your metabolism will go.

Mate I'm really sorry if you have stated somewhere else on the forum that you do actually exercise and all that side of it, because I haven't checked. So do you? And if so, what do you do?

Fadi.

Sorry BigJim, but if there was a word in your post about exercise then I must have missed it. The sentence you wrote above suggests to me that you're actually happy about further reduction in calories; I’d be furious if I was you mate. Always remember something and that is cutting on calories is cutting on energy, energy you need not just to put some real effort into your workout, but energy just to stay sane and on top of things in your every day activities.

Another thing that might happen here and especially now that you've lost 23kg, is that weight loss slows down...and the more calories you cut the slower your metabolism will go.

Mate I'm really sorry if you have stated somewhere else on the forum that you do actually exercise and all that side of it, because I haven't checked. So do you? And if so, what do you do?

Fadi.

So you're saying instead of dropping the calories i should be upping my cardio? Makes sense really. I am in the mind set that i need to eat less to lose weight when really i could eat the same and just throw in some HIIT?

You dont have to apologise you didnt miss anything, i havent posted a thing about cardio. I play squash once a week and i play golf every saturday (18 holes). Also i go for a bike ride with my girlfriend 2-3 times per week but both the Golf and Bike rides are more stress releif then anything (even though golf is pretty stressful some days lol).

Is it in your oppinion Fadi that i should drop 1 or both of the shakes or should i just continue and up the cardio?

The other thing i am worried about is losing too much wieght too quickly. My biggest fear is having loose skin like what you see on the biggest loser :(

Do you do weight training? Rather than changing your diet, take up weight training, that'll be much more effective at maintaining the muscle you have than simply keeping the protein intake high.

Contrary to what you wrote here, we did not say that you were having "too much protein."

We said: why are you changing your diet? - since if it's still getting you results, no need to change. And we also said if you have to change, drop some of the protein powder. Not all, but some. Begin with just one and see how you go.

But I stress: if you're getting the results you want, don't change anything about your diet. If it works, don't mess with it.

Do you do weight training? Rather than changing your diet, take up weight training, that'll be much more effective at maintaining the muscle you have than simply keeping the protein intake high.

Contrary to what you wrote here, we did not say that you were having "too much protein."

We said: why are you changing your diet? - since if it's still getting you results, no need to change. And we also said if you have to change, drop some of the protein powder. Not all, but some. Begin with just one and see how you go.

But I stress: if you're getting the results you want, don't change anything about your diet. If it works, don't mess with it.

Thanks mate.

I do heavy weights Mon-Wed-Fri.

I must have got mixed up with what you wrote here Kyle,

"If you must drop something, drop one or two of your protein scoops. At 270lbs your are 122kg, and having 275g protein daily, which is 2.25g/kg. The AIS recommends 1.2-2g/kg for muscle gain, so that's 146-244g protein daily. So you can safely drop a couple of the protein scoops."

as i only have 2 scoops per day. One scoop in each shake.

Oh and the reason i am looking to adjust my Diet is because weight loss has slowed the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:
It's a question of emphasis. There's a difference between "you are having too much" and "you can safely drop it." One says you must drop it, the other says you can if you want.

Again, we don't know if you need to change anything at all. Too many people change their workout or diet when they're still getting results from it.

Good work on the weight training.

It's a question of emphasis. There's a difference between "you are having too much" and "you can safely drop it." One says you must drop it, the other says you can if you want.

Again, we don't know if you need to change anything at all. Too many people change their workout or diet when they're still getting results from it.

Good work on the weight training.

I think what i will do is keep eating what i am and up the cardio. See if that works and if no change i will remove a protein shake and try again.

The other thing is that i could be losing "fat" and not "weight" but not even realise. I know its hard to gain muscle while restricting calories but surely i would have some gains in that department.

Thanks for your help guys, i appreciate it. :)

As I said, when people are overfat, they can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, provided they get enough protein (1.2g-2g/kg) and do weight training.

You measure this with the measuring tape rather than the scales. If your waist gets smaller while your chest gets bigger you are losing fat and gaining muscle... :)

As I said, when people are overfat, they can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, provided they get enough protein (1.2g-2g/kg) and do weight training.

You measure this with the measuring tape rather than the scales. If your waist gets smaller while your chest gets bigger you are losing fat and gaining muscle... :)

The 2 biggest things i regret going before starting this diet was not getting skin fold tests done and not taking measurements.

I can definitely notice my chest is a lot bigger than what it was and i have tightened my belt 4 notches which is about ~4inches.

Last edited:
That's excellent.

You can measure yourself today, then again on the 19th of March, then again on 19th of April, and so on.

So you're saying instead of dropping the calories i should be upping my cardio? Makes sense really. I am in the mind set that i need to eat less to lose weight when really i could eat the same and just throw in some HIIT?
Yes most definitely Jim. I'm not a fan of calorie restriction as I am a fan of calorie expenditure through exercising. Of course not all exercising are created equally. The type of exercise you need most now is a type that would speed your metabolism, preserve as much muscle as possible, whilst at the same time help you to lose some fat mass off your body.

So it's maintain muscle (not worried or concerned about building here yet), and lose fat. That in itself would speed your metabolism since muscle cells require much more energy to operate than fat cells (which are just happy to tag along all day and night).

Is it in your opinion Fadi that i should drop 1 or both of the shakes or should i just continue and up the cardio?
Dropping calories is dropping energy. HIIT requires every ounce of energy you can master. No point starting a workout feeling super strong only to fizzle right down with your head feeling like it weighs a ton!

The HIIT that I have in mind is based on timing more than the choice of exercises you decide to choose for yourself. I'll give you an example of timing first then I'll give you a variety of exercises you can do (if you like them that is Jim).

1. Your total exercising time is 10 minutes and only ten minutes.

2. The more 10 minutes blocks you can do in a day/night the better

3. It goes without saying that this is a 7 day program/everyday and as I said above, preferably done few times a day (twice or thrice) especially on days off work/Uni.

4. The way I like to structure it seems so so easy yet it is very effective for what we want to achieve (super fast metabolism)

5. You warm up first by walking briskly for 5 minutes or so or riding a bike for 5. This would serve to raise your core temperature which is important before going all out at 100%.

6. You exercise all out (at 100% of your ability) for 10 seconds.

7. You go through an active recovery period of 50 seconds. That's 1 minute up already (taking away from our initial total of 10)

8. Continue with this "easy" pattern until the 10 minutes are up

9. Done!

10. Total time spent in a flat out mode is 100 seconds, or 1m, 40 sec.

Yes, we can increase the intensity by adding few more seconds to the 10 and making it 15 or so. That comes later on as your body adapts to the first wave of 10 seconds and you become more comfortable with the whole idea.

Now what exercise? Take your pick really. Sprint on grass for 10 then walk back for 50. Skip for 10 then walk for 50. Punch a bag for 10 then walk for 50. Burpees for 10, followed by 50 walking. Explosive squat position star jumps for 10 followed by 50. Stationary bike all out for 10 etc

The short amount of time spent in the high intensity zone won't be enough to catabolise your muscles. And no, you won't be using much fat if any whilst performing such a HIIT workout. But then, I never concern myself with what fat I'm using or losing whilst exercising; it's what happens when I stop that really matters. And what occurs after you stop is that your metabolism would have kicked up a gear. I'm not getting technical with you Jim so as to keep it simple and keep confusion out of our equation here.

The other thing i am worried about is losing too much wieght too quickly. My biggest fear is having loose skin like what you see on the biggest loser
I'm sorry to be the one to break the bad news for you Jim, but lose skin is part and parcel of someone losing as much weight as you will be. A surgeon's knife is never too far though, so cross that bridge when you come to it. Who knows, you may be that exception to the rule, who knows. I just don't want to get your hopes up and say that all will be hunky dory skin wise when all is said and done.

All the best and bravo on your achievements so far Jim.

PS: Whatever you're doing with lifting weights, continue...

Fadi.

Last edited:
That is extremely helpful Fadi thankyou very much. Its amazing how much effort you put into helping the people on here and sharing your knowledge.

I will definitely take all of this on board and start doing the HIIT method you mentioned.

As for the skin issue i will wait and see what happens with that, there is no point stressing over something that hasnt happened yet.

I guess i will just have to build enough muscle to fill the skin haha :p

Fadi, do you see any problem (effecting weights training) doing those HIIT drills before or after weight sessions. We do similar suicide runs at football training and I always thought about doing more by myself for the edge of fitness on everyone else. I was worried that doing it on my weight training days is going to effect my size/strength goals. Ive heard cardio on weights days is a bad thing but high intensity cardio for short periods of time I wasn't sure.